Jump to content
nickynackynoo

UK St Johns Asylum,Lincoln, Mid 2013

Recommended Posts

Dont think I stuck this up at the time, been on the list for a while, seemed like a good time to tick it off. Visited with Cloaked Up.

Built under the name Lincolnshire County Lunatic Asylum in 1852, set in 120 acres of grounds. In 1940, female patients were transferred around the UK to make way for an emergency department for the war effort. The newly established NHS took control in 1948 and by the 1960’s it was known as St John’s Hospital. The Hospital was closed in 1989, since then it has been sold and gradually been demolished to make way for housing leaving just the main building.

10329963244_ab19ab5f8f_z.jpg

10333949385_eedd6ea858_z.jpg

10333947295_613d4b7b37_z.jpg

9494272036_92f578939b_z.jpg

9509267246_07360c61ee_z.jpg

9493831124_c383a1bdc1_z.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By AlexAvenue
      Found our way into a small cave in the Yorkshire dales.
       
    • By AlexAvenue
      Along the road in the Yorkshire dales we came across many small caves.
      We ventured into some of them, and saw some cool things.
      Next year we plan on returning and Exploring the larger caves.
       
       



    • By Landie_Man
      As part of another backlog of our West Country Trip, @Mookster, our American Explorer Friend @cgrizzy and myself traveled to this rather derpy site.  It's one of the list but little of interest remains inside; though its quite large, with long concrete voids with some pretty good Graffiti in places.  
      Not much was going on inside; except some kids with a makeshift skate park in the middle who seemed slightly suprised to spot us.   There is some really cool shots of nature reclaiming in here; lots growing everywhere and areas have collapsed.
       
      The Dries in Wenford were built in the early part of the 20th century (likely post-1907) to serve the local china clay pit at Stannon on Bodmin Moor.  
      China Clay in liquid form was carried in a pipeline from the pit to the settling tanks behind the dries. 
       
      The dries operated until the final closure in 2002 (aside from a brief closure during WWII). The works were originally built by the Stannon China Clay Company, but were acquired by English China Clays in 1919. The choice of site was heavily influenced by the presence of an existing railway line leading from Wenford Bridge which was originally constructed to carry granite from the nearby De Lank quarries. The dry was built adjacent to the railway line and a large private siding was built to connect to the network.
       
      #1

       
      #2

       
      #3

       
      #4

       
      #5

       
      #6

       
      #7

       
      #8

       
      #9

       
      #10

       
      #11

       
      More At:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/albums/72157701301733375
    • By BrotherHoodUrbex
      History
      Maes Mynan care home was a two floor 33 bedroom care home on a site of 2.6 acres.
      The care home was for the elderly and it had its own day service and its own respite service for a short stay and emergency placements.
      The site was bought in 2013 by the healthcare company and has been left untouched since.
      The building itself we could not find much history about or anything about when the care home opened.
       
      Our Visit
      We decided to visit this place when we went out on a day trip to Engedi chapel (report will be up soon).
      On the way back we still had a lot of daylight left so we thought we would stop in and have a look at this site after seeing a report.
      The surrounding area was very overgrown and there was a long pathway leading up to the build.
      The site itself was in pretty good condition, well worth the visit if you have any free time.
      Be mindful if you do visit as just at the back of the site, there is a house that we assumed is occupied.
       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

    • By jane doe
      The main Hartwood Hospital building block with central towers with side wings was designed and built from 1890 by the local architect J L Murray from Biggar as the Lanark District Asylum covering the Lanarkshire area. The hospital closed in 1999

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       

×