mookster

Belgium Chateau Congo, Dec '13

If, like me, you like extremes of decay well you're in for a treat.

Chateau Congo is the name given to a huge Chateau in a tiny village in deepest darkest Belgium. I first saw it a year or so ago on a Belgian forum and instantly knew I wanted to see it, however finding it turned out to be very tricky because only a handful of people have actually posted it online - probably because it's just too far gone for most people!

Anyway fastforward a year or so and I was pointed in the right direction by a Belgian contact. Me and the group roll up before dawn and park nearby, and after half an hour of waiting for enough light to be able to see sort of where we were going we found our way in. The Chateau is in a seriously bad state, the only floor that is properly accessible is the ground floor and even that has some totally impassable parts. Half of the upstairs floors of the chateau have totally collapsed inside and the other half have rotten floors which are now sadly too dodgy to even think of walking across. As such getting around on the ground floor is made even trickier having to dodge large areas of debris from collapses and drops into the basement.

It's such a shame this place is in such a bad way, you can sense how amazing the interiors must have been when it was all intact 20-something years ago when it was first abandoned.

I spent about 15 minutes sat in the first room watching the sun come up, one of the most peaceful moments of my whole urbex career. The hole in the ceiling has slowly grown from about two foot square a year ago to the monster it is now so this room doesn't have long left either.

11270578295_4d848f638e_c.jpg

11270683313_4d684a8b78_c.jpg

11270636274_21afd21d20_c.jpg

11270632724_13537b38b1_c.jpg

11270571015_0b3cc73cbe_c.jpg

11270566795_f592583924_c.jpg

11270564015_8484735734_c.jpg

11270599216_58c0b8824a_c.jpg

11270617844_420bf372b5_c.jpg

Despite how totally utterly ruined it is it's one of my all-time favourites.

More photos here http://www.flickr.com/photos/mookie427/sets/72157638474948614/ ;)

Wow, that must have been some amazing place in its time. I can see why its one of your favorites, looks an epic mooch. Really nice shots, thanks for sharing :)

:comp:

It is indeed Fooked Mooks, but I can see why you needed to see it, reminds me a little of Berkyn :(

Loved reading the write up too

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By obscureserenity
      Chateau Marianne / Chateau Alchimiste

History

Not much history on this location but it was rumoured to be have been once occupied by a former professor. The chateau is located in a small, rural town in France. The town's residents have halved in the last 40 years and it was beginning to look quite run down. I can imagine the nickname  'Alchimiste' (which means Alchemist in French) came from all the chemistry equipment left behind such as: test tubes, syringes, bottles, cylinders and beakers.  It seems the previous inhabitant was also a bit of an artist, we found many paintings scattered around the house and a large collection in the attic, as well as a small studio in an upstairs room. 

Visit

I visited this beautiful chateau on a euro trip with @PROJ3CTM4YH3M. We went the previous night to check to see if it was accessible and boy we were in for a shock! Neither of us realised how much stuff had been left and how interesting the contents were. We both particularly liked the framed butterfly collection which was hung up in one of the living rooms, as it reminded us of the film 'Silence of the Lambs.'  After a short investigation we decided to return the following day and booked a hotel in a nearby town.  Arriving the next morning once sun had risen, the place was really brought into it's element. So, as always, hope you enjoy my photos!

If you've got this far, thanks for reading 

• By obscureserenity
      Town Mansion 

History

The Town Mansion was originally built in 1912 by a wealthy petroleum importer. During the early 20th century, the area in which the mansion was built, had become a hub for many rich German families in the early 1900's. By 1918, once the First World War had come to an end and the town was heavily damaged by the intense bombing raids at the start of the war and then German occupation of Belgium in 1914. Only two houses in that street survived, the Town Mansion being one of those. It was then later occupied by a Belgium shipbuilder until the late 1960's, when it was used as an office space. The mansion was abandoned in 1991 and hasn't been formally resided in since.

Visit

Visited with @PROJ3CTM4YH3M and a non forum member. As I recall it was a particularly hot spring day and we all excited to see this location, partly to escape from the intense heat. Once we got inside we spent a short amount of time wandering around before we eagerly started taking our pictures. I can confidentially say that this is one of the grandest mansions in Belgium I have visited. I did wonder what the lives of the families that once inhabited it were like and the memories they must have had. It was a very enjoyable explore for me and as always, I hope you enjoy my photos!

If you got this far, thanks for reading 
    • By .Gh0ast
      First report here, the well-known Chateau wolfenstein.

Lost somewhere in the Belgian Ardennes, the castle was built 1931 by a rich Baron.
      It has many use throught the years, hospital, command centre during the war, care home for soldiers and, apparently some kind of jail for war and politic prisonners.

Now, it 's still a part a the hospital complex but it is unused, except for a room where the hospital stocks some servers.