The Elusive

UK Beaudesert hall.. well .. bits of wall..(visted dec 13)

I would imagine this place must have been amazing to see, in its hayday. its rumoured to have had 24 peacock shaped topiary in the gardens. Here some history courtesy of wiki.

Beaudesert was an estate and stately home on the southern edge of Cannock Chase in Staffordshire.

It was one of the family seats of the Paget family, the Marquesses of Anglesey.

The estate was obtained by William Paget, 1st Baron Paget in 1546; the family's other main seat is at Plas Newydd.

The estate was broken up by the 6th Marquess of Anglesey due to financial difficulties; as a result the furniture was sold off

and the fabric of the hall and stables went to auction.

Some of the furnishings of the house, including oak panelling and the Waterloo Staircase were taken to Carrick Hill in Adelaide,

South Australia. Demolition began in 1935; however, it was never completed and some ruins remain standing.

Today some of the former estate land is used as a Scout and Guide camp and a local wildlife trust and new buildings are used

for residential courses. The Grand Lodge built in 1814 still stands at the entrance on Horsey Lane, east of the ruins.

The ruins were protected with Grade II listed building status in 1953.

Currently The Beaudesert Trust which owns the remains and gardens is applying to stabilise the ruins and restore the gardens

to their original state. The standing ruins consist of three main components; the south wall of the Great Hall,

a parallel wall which formed the north side of the Great Hall with an attached fragment of the west wing and the north west

angle of the house. The south wall still retains something of its 15th century character, including some good quality ashlar masonry,

the principal windows, a window lighting the dais, and the remains of a possible fireplace, also associated with the dais.[5]

11523522594_0b82d3ccf9_z.jpg11523588783_2fe3bb8fcb_z.jpg

11523539786_13b6782413_c.jpg

11523497136_b8522fb296_c.jpg

11523470794_82b8747f6e_z.jpg11523423514_5da280346a_z.jpg

11523426424_f3bdd7b887_c.jpg

11523501293_a440e70cfc_c.jpg

11524053403_480884b2f8_c.jpg

Looking for santa, he wasnt up there :(

11523384494_b8ddb6947a_c.jpg

11524065313_5ccff3a5fc_c.jpg

11523486943_9436726dea_c.jpg10128182875_30be808f8a_c.jpg

Evil rabbit tree..

11523441193_caeee9f5a7_c.jpg

scouty stuff me thinks..

Cheers! Im gonna go back in the summer and hook up me hammock chair overlooking the lake... cant wait theres something about cannock chase, such a beautiful place Im so lucky to live so close :)

Some things just aren't meant to be, like this place I spose! Lovely pics thanks for sharing, it does look like a nice place for a wander, I'd have to check out the scouty stuff tower thing too :)

Thanks guys,

yeah I would have too but this place is in a gps and reception hole and the light was fading fast, :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By AndyK!
      Whitley Bridge Mill was originally built in 1870s by John and Thomas Croysdale. Powered by electricity and steam, the mill utilised roller milling, a technique that had revolutionised the flour industry. For more than 100 years the mill was owned by James Bowman & Sons Ltd. Bowmans ceased operations at the mill in 2016 after making the decision to move away from flour milling, and the mill was subsequently closed.

Much of the machinery and equipment had been sold at auction, and extensive damaged caused to the building during the removal of the equipment. However enough remained to make this an interesting visit. The building is like a maze, and we kept find more and more bits every time we thought we'd covered the entire place. Visited with @The Amateur Wanderer.

Archive image of the mill

The mill as it stands today

Autoroller roller mills

More roller mills

The roller mills were the main machinery in the flour milling process

One of the few remaining original windows, although now with a metal sheet covering

The laboratory was quite interesting

Note the Bowmans logo used to form a pattern in the tiles

Rear exterior and silos

Fuel pumps
    • By Gromr123
      Visited here twice over the span of a week, once with the SO, and the second with mookster,Brewtal, Zotez and obscurity.
      It's a big place and I didn't realise how much I'd missed till the second visit!

History
      Bulstrode house (listed grade II) lies towards the centre of the park. Rebuilt by Benjamin Ferrey 1860-2 for the twelfth Duke of Somerset, probably incorporating elements of the earlier buildings, it is a rambling, red-brick, Tudor-style building with an imposing tower over the main, north entrance and a French Renaissance-style colonnade on the south front giving access to the adjoining south terrace. The enclosed Inner Court, a service courtyard, is attached to the east side of the house, with various C20 buildings close by. Attached to the north-east corner of the house is the Outer Court, entered from the forecourt through a Gothic arch with a ducal crest in the gable, flanked by railings and brick piers with stone caps. The other three sides of this court have a Gothic loggia fronting a single-storey building; access to the Inner Court is through a gateway on the south side.

In 1966, the community moved to Kent, and the property was bought by WEC International, a Christian evangelist missionary organisation who have gradually restored and improved the public parts of the house's interior.
      The house was put up for sale in 2016 and it's now intended to be turned into a luxury hotel. It was also used recently as a film set for the latest Johnny English film.

The Explore
      A pretty simple one, apart from having to wade through a muddy bog in a field. The house is huge and even after a few hours I felt like I'd need a re-visit the following week to see the rest of it, especially with the snow and ice making parts like the rooftops terrifying slippery. The second visit was a lovely sunny day and much more pleasant.
      Unfortunately the local kids have been getting in and really smashing the place up good and proper. A real shame as its got some really nice original features.

The Fire alarms still worked and these were pretty much going off 24/7, which was great to cover up the noise of us moving around inside, but also really really annoying! However Brewtal made it his personal mission to find the fuseboard and turn them off. Took him a little while but he did it! Bliss at last.
      When WEC International left in 2016 they stripped out pretty much everything and so a good chunk of the rooms are empty and not too interesting. However the whole lower floor/Basement level had some really nice interesting bits and the power still worked!

We were doing really well until we set off some PIR alarms in one of the outbuildings while we were leaving. Whoops!
      Turned out to be a great explore!

The Photos

Externals

Internals

]

The clock tower mechanism which still could be operated.

The Basement level. Most the lights worked!

• By jones-y-gog
      According to a report in August 2018 there were 18 pubs closing in the UK every week with 476 closures in the first 6 months of that year. It's a sobering (sorry) thought for someone like me who appreciates an ale or six in a nice hostelry. 

There are records showing The Bridge Inn here going back to around 1875 although how far back it dates is unclear. It closed permanently in 2013 and planning permission was given for change of use. I had the feeling that work was starting on redeveloping it when I was there. 

The Welsh name is Tafarn Y Bont - I wouldn't say there's anything that makes it distinctly Welsh - but its a good example of a traditional British pub which still has a few old features. It was nice that it seemed pretty untouched in the years since it closed.  

• By Lenston
      We all know the history of this place and with so many reports going up recently but here is a short version.

Inspired by Tumbles i decided to shoot some old BW Film.

History

Costing £350,000 and ten years to build, the Cardiff City Asylum opened on 15 April 1908. The main hospital building covered 5 acres (2.0 ha), designed to accommodate 750 patients across 10 wards, 5 each for men and women. Like many Victorian institutes, it was designed as a self-contained institute, with its own 150 feet (46 m) water tower atop a power house containing two Belliss and Morcom steam engine powered electric generator sets, which were only removed from standby in the mid-1980s.
      Whitchurch Hospital finally closed its doors in April, 2016 and is due to be stripped down and dismantled.

Thanks for looking

• By Urbexy
      Bowling harbour is located within the village of Bowling Dunbartonshire (Scotland) It was a site of shipbuilding and repair dating back to the late 1700s. The last of the yards were closed in the 1970s. These photographs are of some of the remains of boats that lie wrecked in the harbour. It also shows the piers that were once part of "Scotts and Son's" shipbuilders.

There are various wrecks within the harbour. It has proved to be impossible to work out any details of the ships currently in the harbour.

This pier stands next to what would have been the slipway at the yard.

More ruins of smaller vessels. No information can be obtained about the boats.

I also created a short video at this location...