Norfolk Explorer

Norfolk & Norwich Hospital Crane. Norwich, Norfolk. January 2014

Gabe got on the case and asked if I was free in Norwich in a few weeks, so a few weeks later he arrived and we decided to go have a little scout about and see what was happening.

Checked a few drains, but they were all rusted shut, checked a bunker, that was sealed tight, so that only left the crane that has appeared up at the hospital.

That concluded the afternoon, so I dropped him off and went to the the school run bits and bobs..T scoffed down and off to pick matey 'magpie Tommy' up and then to pick up Gabe.

Magpie Tommy ' lets play spot the explorer in the pub' we walk into the pub and are greeted by a bloke covered in white chalk from the mines.... Well no need to try guess how he had passed the afternoon

So we headed up to the hospital, and after playing dodge the CCTV camera we found a nice easy route in.

From the looks of the site it looked like it is going to be something big, and this is what it would appear they are building.

The new £4.5m unit will be next to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital’s Mulbarton ward and will house two more linear accelerators, bring the total of six ‘linacs’ at N&N. The first will be installed once the building work is complete, due to be by the end of summer next year, and a second is due to be installed in 2015.

This equipment provides radiotherapy for a range of cancers and works by using high energy x-rays to destroy cancer cells.

Consultant oncologist Jenny Nobes said radiotherapy is often used instead of surgery, and can have the same effectiveness.

She said: “Hopefully waiting times will be less for radiotherapy and more patients will be able to benefit from this locally.â€Â

The plans also include a new orthovoltage treatment room with equipment which can treat cancers which sit near the surface of the body, such as some skin cancers.

The new build will include a waiting area, office space and two consulting rooms and to help cancer patients avoid a hospital admission, there will be space for a new Acute Oncology Suite to provide rapid assessment and treatment for patients who are experiencing complications with their cancer or its treatment.

About 200 patients receive radiotherapy each month at the N&N, with patients referred from other local hospitals including the James Paget University Hospital in Gorleston and the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King’s Lynn.

Now for some photos.

IMG_8026_zps0b850516.jpg

IMG_8003_zps73cc5c0a.jpg

IMG_8004_zps50619f37.jpg

IMG_8006_zps95e65436.jpg

IMG_8008-Edit-Edit_zpsce38d712.jpg

IMG_8013_zps0806e285.jpg

IMG_8011_zpsd4651af2.jpg

IMG_8014_zps59a728d9.jpg

IMG_8015_zps279886b1.jpg

IMG_8018_zps2ca0a0af.jpg

After we climbed down, we were just getting ready to take a few ground shots, when every generator started up and more floodlights popped on, so at this point we cut our visit rather short and headed of back to the car..

After that we dropped my mate of and decided for some easy climbing at the Mecca bingo halls. Had the usual fun here, easy climb, just got on the roof, when security pop out to have a fag and chat on the phone very loudly for ages.

IMG_8042_zpsa774ba50.jpg

IMG_8045_zpsd2528d5a.jpg

IMG_8052_zps4dbf2fab.jpg

IMG_8053_zps13830980.jpg

IMG_8059_zps5edf40e0.jpg

IMG_8061_zps54a6f010.jpg

I thank you Carters for the lovely clean crane to climb