mookster

The Ark

Talk about ultimate bad timing.

Turned up to 'The Ark' the other day at almost the exact same time a scaffold truck turned up and drove right into the site and the workmen wasted no time in making themselves busy!

It looks like work is starting there beyond just sealing up access points.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By BritishRanger
      The Ark Synagogue, Liverpool. Also known as Greenbank Synagogue.

History -

My visit -

I visited this site recently with two friends that I run the facebook page 0151 Outdoors with, if you are on facebook, give us a like!

Well, I dont really know if this can be classed as a report, haven't had too much luck on my first few explores, but I'm not letting that stop me.  This time, I arrived on site, and took a few pictures of the exterior before two dodgy blokes of possibly eastern european descent came running around the corner, shouting about how the building is ''TOP SECRET''

They weren't too frightening, so I grabbed a few pictures as I walked off the grounds, the guy in the last picture told me as I was leaving, ''£10 pictures outside, £20 pictures inside'' but I think I'd rather try again in future, its part of the fun. I dont know how true it is, but apparently the building is now owned by a man from Pakistan, and a lot of bits from inside have been removed.

Anyway, these are just a couple of the pictures I took of the exterior, shame I didnt get inside as it looks interesting on other peoples reports.

• By urbanginger
      Noahs ark arp tunnel explored with SilverFox late one night on a return trip from folkestone. Have to apologize for lack of tunnel shots the ols camera wasnt really up to the job.
      Bit of history pinched from Subterranean History
      This tunnel was originally dug to carry a water main, but extended at the beginning of WW2 to provide shelter for over 800 people in the Tower Hamlets and Combe Valley areas of Dover. It runs straight into the hillside behind Noah's Ark Road and slopes gently down to Combe Valley, with a total length of over 1,000 feet. It is concrete lined throughout with blast walls near the entrances and rows of toilet cubicles in recesses off the main tunnel. The tunnel does not seem to have had many recent visitors, and is therefore in a clean condition and there is interesting WW2 graffiti to be seen.
      And now some pics...

Thanks for looking
    • By silverainbow
      Noahs Ark ARP Tunnel, Visited with Space Invader One sunny Saturday Afternoon, History borrowed from Underground Kent
      Noah’s Ark Tunnel in Dover is a passageway through the hill in a downwards slope towards Union Road. It’s precise date of construction and purpose is not clear, although early plans suggest it could have been used as a water main. It was certainly in place by the advent of the Second World War, during which time it was converted into an air raid shelter. It was concrete lined at this time and the evidence of toilets can still be found through the length of the tunnel, along with a kitchen area and blast walls at regular intervals.
      The tunnel is approximately 335 metres (1105 feet) long, 2 metres (6 feet) high and 1.5 metres (almost 5 feet) wide. The kitchen area is wider than this. There is a great deal of wartime graffiti in the tunnel, including names and dates as well as drawings of aeroplanes, ships and submarine.
      On with some pics

Some original wartime Graffiti

And time for a bit of experimentation

The obligatory Scooter, or whats left of it

Thanks for looking

• By Space Invader
      visited with Silver Rainbow ...
      After exploreing crete rd in the morning ,we decided that we would head up to dover for the afternoon explore after nearly getting soaked through in the morning we agreed that underground was are best option and what a choice dover has to offer so Noah’s Ark Tunnel it was ...
      HISTORY
      Noah’s Ark Tunnel in Dover is a passageway through the hill in a downwards slope .It’s precise date of construction and purpose is not clear, although early plans suggest it could have been used as a water main. It was certainly in place by the advent of the Second World War, during which time it was converted into an air raid shelter. It was concrete lined at this time and the evidence of toilets can still be found through the length of the tunnel, along with a kitchen area and blast walls at regular intervals.

a few of the graffiti

thanks for looking
    • By unclebulgaria
      %This tunnel was dug at the beginning of WW2 to provide shelter for over 800 people in the Tower Hamlets and Combe Valley areas of Dover. It runs straight into the hillside behind Noah's Ark Road and slopes gently down to Combe Valley, with a total length of over 1,000 feet. It is concrete lined throughout with blast walls near the entrances and rows of toilet cubicles in recesses off the main tunnel

ttp://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy83/unclebulgaria/noahs%20ark/DSC02024.jpg

http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy83/unclebulgaria/noahs%20ark/DSC02033.jpg