Wevsky

UK Oil Mills West aka Champagne Caves Dover march 2014

Wasn't going to bother with a report as to be fair there may be one from about 4 years ago from me,well it was this mixed with another place..

Anyhow its sunday and im so very bored so here's some pics from a recent less crowded trip

Brief stolen history

This set of tunnels is located just West of the tunnels known as the Oil Mills, in the Limekiln Street area of Dover. It is likely that the tunnels were originally the result of chalk being mined for lime burning in the nearby kilns during the 19th Century. The five roughly parallel tunnels are cut directly into the chalk cliff face with adjoining passages between, and have very high ceilings and evidence of originally having a second floor. The caves were used as a Bonded Store to house goods awaiting payment of customs tax and later as an air raid shelter and temporary fire station during WW2. These tunnels have been known by a number of names over the years, including 'Finnis Hill Caves', 'Champagne Caves' and simply 'Oil Mill Cave'. The area in front of the caves (part of the Pier District) has been greatly modified with the expansion of the harbour, Finnis Hill and Limekiln Street having been demolished. The caves were used by Hammonds to store fruit, until the building of the new road in the 1990s, which left the main entrance below ground level. The only access remains from a second floor doorway

Pictors

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0008.jpgDSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

And an odd portrait one cos i dont have another to match it up :D

DSC_0011.jpg

Nothing new by any means but i was killing time in here so be rude not to grab some more updated pics

Edited by Wevsky

Not bad that, pukka lighting mr torch I mean wevs :P,nice bit of underground goodness :thumb

its all about how you wave mr torch ;)

Thats cool wevs as a nice looking place and shots :thumb

You should remember it mate nelly took a faceplant in here a few years ago while trying to light paint

Lol I remember it well haha :D

Shouldnt laugh really..was pretty bad luck,wonder how nellys football team are doing at this very moment :D

Nice pics! When I went there, we saw what looked like a power board and lots of spotlights that still could work, we only noticed this after going through pictures when we got home though, wonder if they could be turned on?

Nice pics! When I went there, we saw what looked like a power board and lots of spotlights that still could work, we only noticed this after going through pictures when we got home though, wonder if they could be turned on?

The lights inside are all dead mate the board you saw is still in use for the carpark lights i think so tinkering with them probably not the best idea

The lights inside are all dead mate the board you saw is still in use for the carpark lights i think so tinkering with them probably not the best idea

Yeah probably not, might give it away that someones inside the caves lol! Cheers mate