Jump to content

UK John Tams Pottery, Stoke-On-Trent ( Visited Sept 14) - October 2014

Recommended Posts

John Tams was born on Stafford street, Longton in 1837. He started work as an apprentice potter in the early years and eventually went into partnership with William Lowe, manufacturing pottery on the High Street. Longton.

In 1874 John Tams purchased Crown Pottery located on the corner of Commerce Street and the High Street. Originally specialising in imperial measurement ware for hotels and public houses, he later moved onto more commercial earthenware to broaden his market.

In 1903 the factory became John Tams & sons and later John Tams LTD in 1912 with the building housing 3 bottle kilns none of which have survived.

The factory closed in 2000 and on 11th April 2014 the factory was deliberately set on fire causing a huge amount of damage and leaving sections of it needing urgent demolition


Living quite local we had been past here loads of time so we had already figured out our route in, the large back section on the building is completely gone so no climbing through windows or dangerous suicide moves needed today. Internally the place has been completely trashed, the floor is littered with paint pots and ceramic transfers not to mention all the various bits of office furniture scattered about.

The midsection of the building is missing parts of the roof and as a result has some serious element damage however, it does provide a heaven for a few hundred pigeons and a lodger who seemed more surprised to see us than we were him and after exchanging mutual muttered Alrights? he wandered off leaving us to it.

The large industrial kilns are still fitted into the building with several bits of large machinery also still housed in the remains of the factory. In fact there was quite a large amount of items still left inside, one room the left of the building is filled with thousands of ceramic transfers not including those strewn all over the factory floor so from a photographic point of view it is quite interesting.

The upper floor is also accessible but completely stripped and vandalised, as is the showroom towards the front of the building. The office is filled with wage dockets and invoices but also home to the lodger so we left well alone and moved on to another part of the factory.










Hope you enjoy thanks for looking

Edited by The_Raw
removed [IMG] text from photos

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Fairly trashed looking place, but you've made some nice pics from there, good work! :thumb

It is completely trashed inside but full of random bits of junk and only a short drive away so a cool place to fritter away a few hours.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought this was totally gone after that massive fire, I can remember visiting it a few years ago before it got stripped out and before the big fire, it was my favourite spot in Stoke.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
are you local then urbex baby? im from stafford myself lol if you want to drop me a pm sometime i got a few locs inthe area you might want to check out :)

just down the road in Newcastle :)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By skeleton key
      Thankful there was enough remaining to grab some shots and at the same time have a good giggle
      Splored With Lara,Trog and peaches

      In the back area of the stage Lara found some costumes and the silliness began.
      Beds began to roll up and down the corridors .

      Better not to ask

      I nearly ran straight into secca.
      At first i thought it was another fool dressed up but as Sindbad
      Then realized he was a Sihk Secca lol

      This fella was either as deaf as a post or turned a blind eye & I wasnt fussed with either.
      As was more to see and we put a bit of distance between us and the now named Turbanator.

      Cheers for looking in
    • By Lenston
      The engineering company J.E. Billups of Cardiff who also constructed Mireystock Bridge and the masonry work on the Lydbrook viaduct commenced construction of the tunnel in 1872 using forest stone. The tunnel is 221 metres in length and took 2 years to construct. The tunnel allowed the connection of the Severn and Wye Valley railway running from Lydney with the Ross and Monmouth network at Lydbrook. The first mineral train passed through the tunnel on 16 August 1874. Passenger services commenced in September 1875 pulled by the engine Robin Hood.
      The history of this section of line is not without incident - a railway ganger was killed in the tunnel by a train in 1893 and a locomotive was derailed by a fallen block of stone in the cutting at the northern entrance in 1898.
      The line officially closed to passenger trains in July 1929 but goods trains continued to use the line until the closure of Arthur & Edward Colliery at Waterloo in 1959 and Cannop Colliery in 1960. Lifting of the track was completed in 1962. The tunnel and cutting were buried with spoil in the early 1970's.
      Thanks to the vision and enthusiasm of a group of local Forest railway enthusiasts assisted by Forest Enterprise the top of the northern portal of the tunnel (with its unusual elliptical shape) which has lain buried for 30 years has now been exposed. 
      As of 2018 the tunnel now still lays abandoned with no sign of the cycle track and the £50,000 funding seemingly gone to waste.








      Thanks for looking
    • By jane doe
      I was passing here today on way home from work so called in to have a look ...Quite a nice little explore ☺️

    • By UrbanBeginner1
      This church had been on my bucket list for a while and I finally got access, granted it happened last year. I don't know a lot of the history of the church, other than the congregation was founded by German immigrats in the 1800s. The origional church burned in the Chicago fire and a new one was constructed in 1904. In the 1910s Polish immigrants moved in and the German congregation declined in membership. It bounced back and years later in the 50s a large Puerto Rican population came in and spanish masses were offered for the first time. Membership throughout the 60s and 70s etc kept declining and in 1990 the church officially closed. The rectory, convent and school were all torn down. As for the chruch a development company owns it and want's to turn it into luxury condos and a music school. 

    • By Ferox
      I first had a look at this spot in 2015. Almost three years on the place has been knocked about a bit and it seemed stripped somehow from the last visit. Did not spend that long in here. As I parked up an old lady drove passed paying more attention to the my car than I liked, so I blasted round in about twenty minutes ☺️ When I came out an old chap drove passed again paying a lot of attention to myself and the car. Country Watch in full swing ☺️ Nice to see the place again but, it did appear to have lost something over the three years.











      Thanks for Looking
      More pics on my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157669030838798/with/28272201358/