mookster

USA A Tale of Two Houses, Sept '14

Those of you awesome enough to have me on Facebook will know the reason I've been absent from the forum for the best part of two months is I've been gallivanting around a sizeable portion of America taking in all sorts of many and varied things, both tourist and of course urbex...well I returned today!

My very first explores in the land of the free weren't what you'd call 'classy', I stayed with a good friend of mine in Maryland for the first few days and on an outing to try and find some cars abandoned in the woods (which ultimately proved fruitless as the land was cleared and a house built on it) we made note of a couple of abandoned houses spotted along the way. I was totally unprepared for an 'inside' urbex lacking both my tripod and torch but I couldn't refuse my first taste of urbex in America, however small. The first house was very dark, stripped and a bit ruined but the second find was much more interesting.

Over the next week or so hopefully I will get all 20 locations I explored up in some form or other ;)

The stereotypical 'haunted house' look...

15045590263_1d7c7b09c3_b.jpg

15480152640_d561dac336_b.jpg

There appeared to be a swimming pool in the back yard, somewhere!

15666548572_4abf192459_b.jpg

15479077869_e669e8c61f_b.jpg

15479077749_fbd571317b_b.jpg

15479568848_624b0bfeea_b.jpg

The attic was the highlight, instantly reminding me of the 'hazard cell' at Deva Asylum.

15663040551_68e5416c55_b.jpg

After exhausting that house we retraced our route towards a house which on the face of it looked like it wouldn't be much cop at all due to the state of the outside, but I really liked it here, it was a little unexpected gem! What appeared to have happened is the upper floor had a renovation started, but then stopped and at some point after that pikeys got in and ripped all the pipes out leading to massive water damage through about half the house.

15480171630_9d730de9d3_b.jpg

15045615123_9e677ce2b4_b.jpg

15479784597_63fa6c3233_b.jpg

15665757815_da7d21f0aa_b.jpg

15479098709_96a065c40d_b.jpg

15045004944_9ff2df2d02_b.jpg

15663062611_dd7837e77b_b.jpg

15479589458_9b30c2ffce_b.jpg

15045004514_e5eae931cb_b.jpg

15663062021_a9dcd3dca3_b.jpg

15479588958_b04eb7ab38_b.jpg

15479782917_98cf81695b_b.jpg

15479096699_3486120b37_b.jpg

15642012646_b32c87e96b_b.jpg

15665755045_2c8cf9f75e_b.jpg

More from the first one here and second one here. Loads more to come from my USA trip so keep your eyes peeled for some amazing locations I visited soon :)

Edited by mookster

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Beneficial-Cucumber
      Anyone know of any abandoned bases/sites/installations in western/south-western Pennsylvania, Ohio or West Virginia? I was at a semi-disused support facility near Pittsburgh today
    • By Staklo
      This is from a exploration on the 13th of May, 2013. These pictures are mostly the east buildings from the interior. Second set will be south end and my favorites, the roof.
      Brach’s Candy was a Chicago (and world) candy factory legend. This facility, one of the largest candy factories in the world, was mostly built in 1921-23 and then partially rebuilt in 1948 after a tragic fire and explosion killed 11 employees. At its peak, the facility was over 2,200,000 sq feet (670,560 meters) and had 2,400 workers. Typical vulture capitalism in the 1980’s into the 2000’s destroyed the company and this facility closed the doors to workers in 2003. One of the office buildings was blown up for the movie Dark Knight in 2007. Due to much of the west complex being gang occupied and the neighborhood sporadically violent, I chose the last cold day of that spring to visit, on Mother’s Day, a very big holiday in the USA, figuring even gangbangers might take an afternoon off to visit their mums 🙂
      So I got there mid-afternoon and only left as it was getting too dark to see much, let alone photograph. I tried to go back one more time, but it was not possible to access, and within weeks it was in the process of being wrecked. For the USA, it had more interior metal than many buildings I've been in, which usually have been picked clean by scrappers, which gave it a nice ambiance. Overall, it was a very dark location, due to most windows being bricked up and it was late in the day when I visited, but what light I had was beautiful. The last pic in this set shows downtown Chicago in the distance.
      I'll post set two in a week or two, then start digging through files for other past and recent explorations.
      Many thanks to everyone who welcomed me on the introduction board. Thanks to all who share, some really amazing reports here, and looking forward to looking around more, but figured I should share something for starters 🙂
      Staklo

• By lucan
      this was the last stop on our last wales day out, 
      i used to stop off here for bacon buttys and coffe many years ago while on the bike heading to wales , 
      nice lady used to run the cafe and her husband even offerd me a job in the workshop restoring classic cars 
      from some previous reports ive seen the busses are still arriving and the collection is getting bigger
      on with some pics then , lots of pics

thanks for looking

• By a World in Ruins
      First a little History [you all know it, but it's good to include anyway] 😃

The Dispensary – the first public hospital in North Staffordshire – opened in Etruria in April 1804 and was funded in part by the Wedgewood family. It gave sick patients the chance to see an Apothecary for diagnosis and treatment. It also provided vaccination against the dreaded smallpox, thanks to the pioneering work of Dr Edward Jenner. Shortly afterwards the 11-bed House of Recovery was opened for fever patients, followed by facilities to treat general and accident patients.
      The hospital continued to expand, due to a steady flow of general illness cases, accidents in the pottery, mining and iron industries and diseases caused by lead and dust. In 1819 it moved to a bigger site in Etruria. By this point it employed a small team of support staff, including a matron and nurses, and ran education programmes urging mine and factory owners to improve their safety standards. Thanks to new ideas about infection control, the building - surrounded by polluting factories - was increasingly seen as unsuitable for patients and was also at risk of collapse from heavy undermining. Eventually, the decision was made to move the infirmary to Hartshill. The clean, quiet suburb became home in 1869 to the North Staffordshire Royal Infirmary, which later merged with the City General Hospital to form the University Hospital of North Staffordshire – now the Royal Stoke University Hospital. Previously the hospital was known as The North Staffordshire Infirmary and Eye Hospital (1815 - 1911) as well as The North Staffordshire Infirmary (1912 - 1926). 
      The building closed down as a medical facility in 2012 as part of the super-hospital development at the Royal Stoke University Hospital.

The explore: Visited with David [ Scrappy ]. It rained, a lot. 😀
      The morgue was a bit of a let down as the slabs had recently been removed and placed in a nearby corridor in front of the fridges. Oh well....

On to the photographs, hope you enjoy:

• By 17smitha
      I am looking for new places to urbex. I am from the northeast Ohio area near Akron. Feel free to email me if you have any places you are willing to share. I will exchange places. my email is [email protected] I attached some images from previous urbexes.