AndyK!

UK Easington Colliery Primary School - August 2014

Easington Colliery Primary School was built in 1911-13 to accommodate the growing number of children in the booming mining town. The school consisted of two identical buildings separated by two yards with a dividing wall. One building was for boys and the other for girls. The lower floor of each building was for infants and the top floor for seniors.

The school could accommodate 1,296 children. Built by architects J Morson of Durham in the Baroque style it cost £21,000 to build. The buildings served their purpose until their closure in the late 1990s. Since then the site was acquired by a development company who applied for planning permission to build 39 homes. English Heritage opposed the plan and achieved listed building status, resulting in the buildings standing empty and falling into decay ever since.

Visited with Proj3ct M4yh3m, Kriegaffe9 and Cowboy55.

easington-colliery-school-12-615x409.jpg

1. Sunlight floods into a decaying classroom

easington-colliery-school-14-615x409.jpg

2. Through a classroom door

easington-colliery-school-10-615x409.jpg

3. Decaying Classroom

easington-colliery-school-9-615x409.jpg

4. Light fills the classroom

easington-colliery-school-11-615x409.jpg

5. Blackboards and chalk remain

easington-colliery-school-13-615x409.jpg

6. School-work on a desk

easington-colliery-school-3-615x409.jpg

7. Chalk and a dictionary

easington-colliery-school-2-615x409.jpg

8. The teachers chair

easington-colliery-school-1-615x409.jpg

9. A trolley in the hall

easington-colliery-school-29-615x409.jpg

10. One of the sports/assembly halls

easington-colliery-school-26-615x409.jpg

11. Another view of one of the halls

easington-colliery-school-181-615x409.jpg

12. Decaying corridor

easington-colliery-school-23-615x409.jpg

13. Huge windows in corridor

easington-colliery-school-32-266x400.jpg

14. Chair in a corridor

easington-colliery-school-31-615x409.jpg

15. Light shines on chair

easington-colliery-school-28-615x409.jpg

16. Box house

easington-colliery-school-5-615x409.jpg

17. "Let's Explore" Books on a desk

easington-colliery-school-4-615x409.jpg

18. Chairs in a classroom

easington-colliery-school-16-615x409.jpg

19. Another classroom

easington-colliery-school-8-615x409.jpg

20. Wide view of classroom

easington-colliery-school-6-615x409.jpg

21. Classroom from the back

easington-colliery-school-15-615x409.jpg

22. Through classroom door

easington-colliery-school-7-615x409.jpg

23. Classroom almost ready for the next lesson

easington-colliery-school-20-615x409.jpg

24. Sinks in a bathroom

easington-colliery-school-29-615x409.jpg

25. Old cloakroom area

easington-colliery-school-21-615x409.jpg

26. Cloakroom with sink and drinking fountain

easington-colliery-school-24-615x409.jpg

27. Tall rooms with high ceilings and big windows

easington-colliery-school-25-615x409.jpg

28. Another tall classroom

easington-colliery-school-30-615x409.jpg

29. Decay at top of stairs

Thanks for looking.

View all my reports at www.bcd-urbex.com

Nice set of pictures, but what is the point in the english heritage giving it a status for it to just fall into decay?!

Yes I agree, often the case unfortunately. I understand it's currently being demolished so it hasn't done much good!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Lenston
      History 

The engineering company J.E. Billups of Cardiff who also constructed Mireystock Bridge and the masonry work on the Lydbrook viaduct commenced construction of the tunnel in 1872 using forest stone. The tunnel is 221 metres in length and took 2 years to construct. The tunnel allowed the connection of the Severn and Wye Valley railway running from Lydney with the Ross and Monmouth network at Lydbrook. The first mineral train passed through the tunnel on 16 August 1874. Passenger services commenced in September 1875 pulled by the engine Robin Hood.

The history of this section of line is not without incident - a railway ganger was killed in the tunnel by a train in 1893 and a locomotive was derailed by a fallen block of stone in the cutting at the northern entrance in 1898.
      The line officially closed to passenger trains in July 1929 but goods trains continued to use the line until the closure of Arthur & Edward Colliery at Waterloo in 1959 and Cannop Colliery in 1960. Lifting of the track was completed in 1962. The tunnel and cutting were buried with spoil in the early 1970's.

Thanks to the vision and enthusiasm of a group of local Forest railway enthusiasts assisted by Forest Enterprise the top of the northern portal of the tunnel (with its unusual elliptical shape) which has lain buried for 30 years has now been exposed. 
      As of 2018 the tunnel now still lays abandoned with no sign of the cycle track and the £50,000 funding seemingly gone to waste.

Pics

Thanks for looking
    • By jane doe
      I was passing here today on way home from work so called in to have a look ...Quite a nice little explore ☺️

• By UrbanBeginner1
      This church had been on my bucket list for a while and I finally got access, granted it happened last year. I don't know a lot of the history of the church, other than the congregation was founded by German immigrats in the 1800s. The origional church burned in the Chicago fire and a new one was constructed in 1904. In the 1910s Polish immigrants moved in and the German congregation declined in membership. It bounced back and years later in the 50s a large Puerto Rican population came in and spanish masses were offered for the first time. Membership throughout the 60s and 70s etc kept declining and in 1990 the church officially closed. The rectory, convent and school were all torn down. As for the chruch a development company owns it and want's to turn it into luxury condos and a music school. 

• By Ferox
      I first had a look at this spot in 2015. Almost three years on the place has been knocked about a bit and it seemed stripped somehow from the last visit. Did not spend that long in here. As I parked up an old lady drove passed paying more attention to the my car than I liked, so I blasted round in about twenty minutes ☺️ When I came out an old chap drove passed again paying a lot of attention to myself and the car. Country Watch in full swing ☺️ Nice to see the place again but, it did appear to have lost something over the three years.

Thanks for Looking

More pics on my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157669030838798/with/28272201358/
    • By Ferox
      Had a look at this place on a recent trip to Scotland. Very decayed and stripped this one but never the less still a nice spot for a look around. There was some lovely tiles still in place in parts of the hospital which I liked. I do like a bit of old tile work  There was a lot of kids toys dotted about also which seemed strange and  out of place. We almost bumped into a couple of people who turned up while we where there but, they must have heard us inside and ran off. Maybe they had mistaken our low talking for the rustle of feathers A nice relaxed explore this, for us anyway, on a nice sunny afternoon. Visited with non member Paul.

Thanks for Looking

More pics on my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157694792372572/with/41878484015/