Landie_Man

-(sort of permission) St Mary's Church, Buckinghamshire, Jan 2015

Funny one this really. I’ve known about it for years but thought I’d go and check it out, its situated fairly near my house and there is a public footpath going through a yard which leads to the building. The place is “open to all†but first a key must be obtained from a local shop and they decide whether to let you in or not.

The church is kind of derelict but its looked after by The Churches Conservation Trust. I chanced it and found a way in, so its kind of part permission visit, part not. I don’t like to think of it like a proper tourist explore with "turnstiles", opening hours and a gift shop, because its not, its disused and looked after but its not got a reception, entry fee or staff moping around.

Its dusty, dark and cold inside and certainly doesn’t have the “organised†feel of a site you can “visitâ€Â.

The church would have served parts of Aylesbury which no longer exist, and Quarrendon Village which is now a well known local Housing Estate.

St Marys is designated by English Heritage as a Grade II listed building and is under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. John Wesley preached his very first sermon in the church soon after he was ordained deacon in September of 1725.

The church originally dates from the 12th and 13th centuries, and could well stand on the site of an earlier church.

Some Alterations were made in the 14th and 15th centuries and a full restoration in 1868 by George Gilbert Scott.�* By the 20th January 1972 the church was declared redundant and was vested in the Churches Conservation Trust on 24 October 1973.

There was some work done on it in the last few years and money spent, including a one day licence so that a local family could have a wedding inside, but apart from that, its just there for local interest.

16216370810_ef22527dbc_c.jpg

15783815393_3c2a17ffac_c.jpg

16401979541_5460efc9d9_c.jpg

16216404610_2ddd5ac14e_c.jpg

16217786087_a5debeaa0c_c.jpg

16403827255_492a098fa6_c.jpg

15781255314_4f64038f5e_c.jpg

15781221754_39aabc072d_c.jpg

16377769966_f7a17ea480_c.jpg

16402016071_bce1a65b8b_c.jpg

16402831072_ff8ca9d723_c.jpg

Guestbook went back to 1983

16216310780_f12f7c65bb_c.jpg

16402876932_fd8f87c920_c.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By jane doe
      This was an old explore from 2012 , the church and school closed in  1977  and Im not sure if its still empty or has been redeveloped  

• By The_Raw
      This former school swimming pool was built in 1904 and abandoned in 1997. I happened upon it randomly and had a hunch that there might be a swimming pool inside but didn't expect much given the state of the exterior. Well, it turned out to be pretty decent inside. Clearly nobody has been inside here for a very long time. The pigeons have set up shop and went absolutely bonkers when they saw me. They've really done a number on the place, or should I say a number two? It's pretty minging to be honest but at least there's no shitty graffiti or vandalism. This was a night visit so I had to light paint all my shots. I didn't do too badly considering but it would be cool to see it in daylight. Hopefully someone else will have a look soon.

This long curtain covered spectator seating for some reason

The floor up here was well dodgy, you can just about see some holes on the left of shot

Cheers for looking

• By Landie_Man
      Another explore from a massive backlog of explores!  This one is from late January 2018; my first meeting with James Smith, having been talking on Facebook and Urbex Forums for practically ten years!  Those who know me, know I have a love for older and retro vehicles.  I had taken a drive to Derbyshire to pick up a spare Automatic Gearbox for my 1988 Volvo 240 as it was going cheaply and you never know!  After collecting; I decided to give James a bell and he very kindly took me to some local sites!

Permanite Asphalt was incorporated in 1989 and later became known as Ruberoid; part of the IKO Group. According to Companies House, they were dissolved on 2 September 2016. 

The pictured business in Matlock, manufactured Asphalt Products such as roofing sheets.  It also involved the mixing of aggregate, bitumen and sand. Powdered limestone – which is still very much apparent, like a thick dust throughout the main tower.  This Limestone was mixed with hot bitumen emulsion and poured into moulds before being left to cool.
      The site was regulated by the local Derbyshire Dales District Council on the following conditions:

The heating of tar or bitumen is regulated under section 6.3 of the Environmental Permitting Regulations.
      The following activities are regulated as Part B processes:

Heating, but not distilling, of tar or bitumen in connection with any manufacturing activity, or oxidising bitumen by blowing air through it, at plant where no other activities described in any Section in this Schedule are carried on. The undertaking of the activity must be likely to involve the use in any 12-month period of 5 or more tonnes of tar or bitumen or both in aggregate.

Originally, the site was part of the larger Cawdor Quarry complex. It is suggested that the factory closed sometime around 2009 but information is pretty thin on the ground. 

More At:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/albums/72157690278494090
    • By Landie_Man
      Branston Pickle was made at this factory complex we see here in Burton Upon Trent, England 1920 and 1925 under Crosse & Blackwell and Rayon was produced here between 1927 and 1930.

The history gets more interesting though; originally conceived and built as the rather grand, National Machine Gun Factory, it was completed in November 1918.  Of course; by then, the First World War was over and the factory was obsolete!  There was no need for the production of these weapons to begin!  So Pickle ended up being made here for a few years!

Come The Second World War; a major ordinance facility known as "The Branston Depot" was established here.  This closed in 1961 and the operations moved down South to Bicester.  Parts of the site were used up to about 1975, and bits have been demolished.  

Other parts house a B&Q  Depot, and a workshop which converts and coach builds Police and Prison Vans.  

I apologise about the delay on this; it was shot back in New Year!  I have been busy as always.  The building is pretty bare and most of the cool, retro signage has been stolen.  Not that I agree with it, but I suppose its better than it all being inevitably thrown away.  

The clock was what redeemed this place, and we gave it a wind and set the time.  Viola.  I bet that confused the locals!  It looked as if it had been wound a few times in recent weeks.

More At:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/albums/72157692903424632
    • By oldskool
      Well whos idea was it to sort an explore after a urbex/hip hop xmas doo emmmmm ??? Got a txt of Cloaked Up at 7am ( i didnt get in bed till 1am) f**k off was my reply ....ohhh comon Oldskool if you dont come out Critical Mess will cry was his reply , so up i got up climbed into the back off his car and woke up outside our first location two hours later ;-(
      Now ill make no excuse for my wobbly photos or for the dust marks on the lens i could hardly stand up let alone operate a camera so here we go with Further Education

Thanks for looking Oldskool .......