DugieUK

UK The Church of Giants, February 2015

The Famine Church 'aka' The Church of Giants

Visited with: Venustas, Shane and Miz Firestorm

Visit Date: February 2015

Please Note: Entry is always through an open access point and not by forcing our way in….. We are explorers, not vandals.

My Visit

This was the second location of the day out of 3 successful explores and it is by far my favourite of the day. Even though this place is decayed to a level that is almost beyond repair it still holds the most character and charm out of the 3 locations. As you can probably tell I am so glad we got to see the beauty that is ‘The Church of Giants’

So let me start out by saying that this location is by far the hardest entry I have ever come across. The Church of Giants does not want to give up her secrets easily. After a good hour of searching we finally found an open access point and was instantly rewarded for our determination.

I do however have to give a shout out to the one from the group who worked so hard to get us all in safely, he was knackered by the time we entered and he must have lost about 3 lb in sweat! Cheers mate you are the man!

Anyway, on with the photos…. This is the sight that greeted us.

16692520062_fe1d539bb5_b.jpg

16486303697_1d2b7b4878_b.jpg

16071266664_074f2b8ba1_b.jpg

Venustas hard at work.

16693585635_142460e1eb_b.jpg

16507443719_d4796d3a84_b.jpg

16071266474_5a0d1d168f_b.jpg

Tucked away in a small side room is the Baptism font.

16693585895_e1873b3c33_b.jpg

This was one of 5 confession chambers!

16071266294_60d83b1037_b.jpg

Some of the carvings are in very good shape, however others are virtually Dust. On the second photo below here you will see an example of this decay.

16507443839_98d8fcfb52_b.jpg

16071266514_2f46384991_b.jpg

Now what do you think of the ceiling? Awesome right?

16633461525_b163bbeabc_b.jpg

16660197372_74a763a949_b.jpg

Before leaving we had to get a group shot just to show the size of this place and the reason we also dubbed Famine Church with the name 'The Church of Giants'

16002735293_c29543652c_b.jpg

More images available on flickr

The images above are just a small selection of the images I have edited. I will be adding lots more photos from photos on my Flickr page which can be found here, https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Final thoughts

To me the Church had it all, decay, stonework, character, charm, stained glass, pigeons the lot. I really enjoyed my time here and would happily go back even with the fact that it is very hard work to get inside, however, it is worth the effort. I just hope I have done the place justice in my photos.

Thanks for reading,

Dugie

Nice one Dugie for persevering with the access and sharing these pics, great stuff :thumb
Great photos mate you captured the place very well.

Cheers glad you liked the images.

Dugie

Another cracking report :thumb lol the title (church of giants) sounds like it could be an area in DARK SOULS if you're familiar with video games? Thanks for posting, great shots as usual :)

Another cracking report :thumb lol the title (church of giants) sounds like it could be an area in DARK SOULS if you're familiar with video games? Thanks for posting, great shots as usual :)

Hehe cheers Urblex, I get the reference as well. Stood under the spire we felt so small... Well I am small anyway 5'3 :D

Dugie

Nice! Very nice indeed! :thumb
Some really nice features left in there, looks well worth the effort, cheers for sharing :thumb

Cheers fellas, glad you like the images :)

Dugie

Cracking report and like the pics. Truly deserves the word epic I'd say.

Well done on getting in, I've tried and failed and had my eye on this for many moons now :violin:

Cracking report and like the pics. Truly deserves the word epic I'd say.

Well done on getting in, I've tried and failed and had my eye on this for many moons now :violin:

Cheers mate, We was expecting to not get in so when we eventually did it was awesome. Hope you manage to get in at some point.

Dugie