Norfolk Explorer

UK Thames Steel. Sheernes. Kent. February 2015

When the Steel mill closed in 2012 I knew there and then that I wanted to get inside it and check it out. But little did I know that due to my lazy ass and work schedule it would be 2 years later when I would walk in the door and my jaw would drop on the floor in pure amazement of the scale of the site. How had I managed to neglect this big industrial monster that was only a short drive away from Norfolk. So nice one to Wevsky for the map 2 years ago lol

When we were walking around it was just amazing that the amount of dust was there,the wind was howling through the site and the sun beaming in through every available nook and cranny creating some of the best light beams I have ever seen. After around 4 hours of covering half of the ground floor and the 1stfloor we decided that we would head off to our second location and make sure that we came back soon for a re-visit.

History

In January 2012 the site all of a sudden shut with the loss of 350 Jobs. The site had previously been sold to Al-Tuwairqi Group (ATG) in 2002 when its previous owners went into liquidation. But obviously things did not improve.

There are now rumours in the local press that part of the site could open as a rolling mill by the summer of 2015 creating 120 jobs.

_MG_1402_zpsb4pzf1is.jpg

_MG_1404-Edit-Edit%20-%20Copy_zpst95xora5.jpg

_MG_1405_zpsopt0outm.jpg

_MG_1408_zpszedp5s1n.jpg

_MG_1409_zpspwtwjij9.jpg

_MG_1410_zps58wqcfrb.jpg

_MG_1411_zpsplcyr3zu.jpg

_MG_1413_zpsm5rbnc0k.jpg

_MG_1414_zpsviq5nckv.jpg

_MG_1415_zpsjpdxywni.jpg

_MG_1416_zpsfma6qfkd.jpg

_MG_1417_zpsbvbylmkm.jpg

_MG_1418_zpspzvkcmty.jpg

_MG_1423_zpspx2avjy3.jpg

_MG_1425_zpsnok7yfzs.jpg

_MG_1427_zpsuyvpsode.jpg

_MG_1431_zpsvyfctq3q.jpg

_MG_1430_zpstsqcy0vr.jpg

_MG_1434_zpsgjxj6vee.jpg

_MG_1438_zpskyghtcom.jpg

_MG_1440_zpsk4axytis.jpg

_MG_1441_zps3t86bx10.jpg

_MG_1442_zpsspgxk372.jpg

_MG_1449_zpsy9ll2awe.jpg

_MG_1457_zpsryravp3h.jpg

_MG_1461_zpsn3khhu4e.jpg

_MG_1462_zpsbuubbo2p.jpg

_MG_1463_zpsslux9njk.jpg

Edited by Norfolk Explorer
Dipsy moment

Looks amazing, really cool set of pics there and enough to make me put this right to the top of my list. Cheers for posting :thumb

:comp:

Considering this is just down the road from me (literally 10 miles away!) I really need to get my arse in gear and explore it!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Andy
      Only a few quick shots, taken without a tripod.
      I don't know when the chapel (called "Capel Zinc") was built, it was a subsidiary tabernacle for the now Holy Trinity Church in Corris.
      Chairs has been removed and apparently the property is now used by a flower grower.
      Visited with @The_Raw and @Miss.Anthrope.

• By jane doe
      This was an old explore from 2012 , the church and school closed in  1977  and Im not sure if its still empty or has been redeveloped  

• By skeleton key
      Thankful there was enough remaining to grab some shots and at the same time have a good giggle
      Splored With Lara,Trog and peaches

In the back area of the stage Lara found some costumes and the silliness began.
      Beds began to roll up and down the corridors .

Better not to ask

I nearly ran straight into secca.
      At first i thought it was another fool dressed up but as Sindbad
      Then realized he was a Sihk Secca lol

This fella was either as deaf as a post or turned a blind eye & I wasnt fussed with either.
      As was more to see and we put a bit of distance between us and the now named Turbanator.

Cheers for looking in

• By Lenston
      History 

The engineering company J.E. Billups of Cardiff who also constructed Mireystock Bridge and the masonry work on the Lydbrook viaduct commenced construction of the tunnel in 1872 using forest stone. The tunnel is 221 metres in length and took 2 years to construct. The tunnel allowed the connection of the Severn and Wye Valley railway running from Lydney with the Ross and Monmouth network at Lydbrook. The first mineral train passed through the tunnel on 16 August 1874. Passenger services commenced in September 1875 pulled by the engine Robin Hood.

The history of this section of line is not without incident - a railway ganger was killed in the tunnel by a train in 1893 and a locomotive was derailed by a fallen block of stone in the cutting at the northern entrance in 1898.
      The line officially closed to passenger trains in July 1929 but goods trains continued to use the line until the closure of Arthur & Edward Colliery at Waterloo in 1959 and Cannop Colliery in 1960. Lifting of the track was completed in 1962. The tunnel and cutting were buried with spoil in the early 1970's.

Thanks to the vision and enthusiasm of a group of local Forest railway enthusiasts assisted by Forest Enterprise the top of the northern portal of the tunnel (with its unusual elliptical shape) which has lain buried for 30 years has now been exposed. 
      As of 2018 the tunnel now still lays abandoned with no sign of the cycle track and the £50,000 funding seemingly gone to waste.

Pics

Thanks for looking
    • By jane doe
      I was passing here today on way home from work so called in to have a look ...Quite a nice little explore ☺️