darbians

UK Buxton Crescent December 2014

While doing a bit of research I found a couple of good leads. This was the first one I followed up. Rolling solo an early start got me here in full darkness. As I was going in with no info and didnt really want a wasted three hour drive. Quite a bit of cctv around but I worked out a reasonable route through the grounds and luckily it worked out all good.

The Crescent was designed by John Carr and built in the late 18th century Funded by the Fifth Duke Of Devonshire as the centre piece for his spa Scheme.

Originally two hotels one closed early in the 20th century and became council offices and library closed in 1992. The St Anns hotel closed in 1992 and has been empty since.

Anyway on with some photos.

Luckily most of it is lit inside so I was shooting straight away.

16734841259_2c5ae90836_c.jpg

16301007913_63eea27bf9_c.jpg

Shame the stairs are covered I think they could of been rather nice.

16733362278_4f02d87cdd_c.jpg

16895097136_79e97ab2cc_c.jpg

So I had kind of forgotten what had drawn me to this building. It was seeming a bit stripped inside. Then I was reminded as I walked through the doors at the top of the round staircase.

16895095956_26b94faefc_c.jpg

16920025771_3b75258da9_c.jpg

16734840549_3cb47dfc83_c.jpg

16733361948_babaedd0fe_c.jpg

16301006913_5494104127_c.jpg

A couple more bits were worth shooting

16921027795_49f14dd852_c.jpg

16298636424_cbf000e072_c.jpg

So it turns out there was more than I expected here...

Right next door is or was a natural water spring the current builing was built in 1853 and was altered in the 1920s. The pump room was last used in the 1970's. Some of the building was used as the tourist information Centre.

16921027085_ecb8a19a69_c.jpg

16733585900_74d219e3d3_c.jpg

16301004073_448121418f_c.jpg

Who needs the jungle school when you can have a jungle pool.

16713692987_3096f1fd1a_c.jpg

16920022621_5b0eb6cb1f_c.jpg

16301002913_a01aba7679_c.jpg

16301002733_966dc38f3c_c.jpg

16895091236_de889d8dfe_c.jpg

16919746362_3f14239f4f_c.jpg

16921025005_5146b7ce0b_c.jpg

16921024925_c981ac896a_c.jpg

Thanks for looking I hope you enjoyed.

Oh my gosh this place looks seriously epic, who needs Belgium? :D

Ha ha. I still need Belgium.

Really pleased about the bath house thing, that was a nice surprise :)

Looks a good place this and nice pictures, im close to this in a few weeks i may take a look. Still a lot to see in this country :)

Edited by Lenston

Woah great pictures and a great place! I know this building - not sure what its like now though. They were meant to be doing it up but kept hitting problems.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By lucan
      not much left , not vandalised and loads of decay and bird poo and dive bomming  pigeons,
      been closed a few years now 
      on with the pics

thanks for looking

• By AndyK!
      Visited with @The_Raw, @Pinkman, @Maniac and @extreme_ironing.

History
      The Brent oil field, off the north-east coast of Scotland is one of the largest fields in the North Sea. Discovered in 1971, it was one of the most significant oil and gas finds made in the UK sector. Brent field production peaked in 1982 when over half a million barrels of oil and 26 million cubic meters of gas were produced… every day!

The Brent oil field was served by four large platforms owned by Shell – Alpha, Bravo, Charlie and Delta. Each platform has a ‘topside’ which is visible above the waterline and houses the accommodation block, helipad, as well as drilling and other operational areas. The topsides sit on much taller supporting structures, or ‘legs’, which stand in 140 metres of water and serve to anchor the topsides to the sea bed.

By 1976 Brent Bravo had started production, and later that year the second platform, Brent Delta was installed, which started production in 1977. Delta weighed 24,000 tonnes (the same as 2,000 London busses!) and the platform alone was as tall as the London Eye.

The Brent field has reached the stage where production is no longer economically viable and decommissioning is underway. In 2011 Brent Delta stopped production. After 5 years of planning and 2 years of preparations, the entire Brent Delta platform was cut free from its supporting legs and brought ashore in one piece, where it will be dismantled and scrapped.

Brent Delta Platform after being brought ashore in Hartlepool

On the helipad

View across the deck with the derrick and flare stack towering above

More detailed view of the topdeck, where drilling activities were carried out

View across the deck

View in the other direction towards the crane

Derrick and flare stack

On the top deck where the drilling happened

Hook and winch equipment

The “doghouse” where drilling operations were controlled

Heading below deck we find a workshop

And various plant rooms

There were various rooms for deployment of workers

Sick bay

The workers accommodation was pretty basic

Central control room

The engine room was tucked away below the accommodation block

One of the emergency lifeboats

Sign on the side of the platform
    • By lucan
      all that remains of a decoy airfield 
      small bunker type construction with a searchlight mounted on top  and a small room at the back to house a gennerator
      fires would have been light at night at this location to fool the german bombers to target here instead of  the real site a few miles away
      the searchlight platform is now fallien off and just a pile of bricks and metal

thanks for looking
    • By lucan
      Spotted this while out and about so popped in for a look, not a great deal left behind
      In the middle of a small town on the Shropshire border
      Had to be fairly quiet as it is surrounded by houses
      Looks like its not been lived in for a couple of years
      A stable block out back, loads of TV sets and old Playstation mags , one of which gives the name I gave the place

thanks for looking
    • By a World in Ruins
      First a little History [you all know it, but it's good to include anyway] 😃

The Dispensary – the first public hospital in North Staffordshire – opened in Etruria in April 1804 and was funded in part by the Wedgewood family. It gave sick patients the chance to see an Apothecary for diagnosis and treatment. It also provided vaccination against the dreaded smallpox, thanks to the pioneering work of Dr Edward Jenner. Shortly afterwards the 11-bed House of Recovery was opened for fever patients, followed by facilities to treat general and accident patients.
      The hospital continued to expand, due to a steady flow of general illness cases, accidents in the pottery, mining and iron industries and diseases caused by lead and dust. In 1819 it moved to a bigger site in Etruria. By this point it employed a small team of support staff, including a matron and nurses, and ran education programmes urging mine and factory owners to improve their safety standards. Thanks to new ideas about infection control, the building - surrounded by polluting factories - was increasingly seen as unsuitable for patients and was also at risk of collapse from heavy undermining. Eventually, the decision was made to move the infirmary to Hartshill. The clean, quiet suburb became home in 1869 to the North Staffordshire Royal Infirmary, which later merged with the City General Hospital to form the University Hospital of North Staffordshire – now the Royal Stoke University Hospital. Previously the hospital was known as The North Staffordshire Infirmary and Eye Hospital (1815 - 1911) as well as The North Staffordshire Infirmary (1912 - 1926). 
      The building closed down as a medical facility in 2012 as part of the super-hospital development at the Royal Stoke University Hospital.

The explore: Visited with David [ Scrappy ]. It rained, a lot. 😀
      The morgue was a bit of a let down as the slabs had recently been removed and placed in a nearby corridor in front of the fridges. Oh well....

On to the photographs, hope you enjoy: