hamtagger

UK Gwrych Castle, Abergele - March 2015

Gwrych Castle

The Explore

Arrived here after an unfortunate fail at our primary location. Frustrating that after arriving there at 1am we had gained access at 3 separate points only to find they had internally sealed the room leaving you having to climb back out again, on this occasion through some testicle crunching gaps. But oh well, i’m really happy i went to this castle for a quick mooch with Session9. A great day all in all but with only a 50% success rate but i suppose thats how it goes sometimes, you can’t win them all, believe me we tried! Was nice to smash in a Ginsters and Monster whilst taking in the view of the beautiful North Welsh coast.

What it would've looked like in the day..

16277768103_dd46e90cf7_c.jpg

The History

Local history claims that the first castle at Gwrych was built by the Normans in the 12th century. The later castle at Gwrych was begun in 1819. The castle is a Grade 1 listed building set in a wooded hillside over looking the Irish Sea. It was the first Gothic folly to be built in Europe by a wealthy industrialist Lloyd Hesketh. Bamford Hesketh, his son, inherited the title of Gwrych in his early 20s and used his vast fortune to build the 4,000-acre Gwrych Castle Estate.

The castle once had a total of 128 rooms including the outbuildings, including twenty-eight bedrooms, an outer hall, an inner hall, two smoke rooms, a dining room, a drawing room, a billiards room, an oak study, and a range of accommodations for servants. There are nineteen embattled towers and the whole facade is over 2000 yards. Many feel the castle's outstanding feature was the castle's 52-step marble staircase. Shame to see it left to ruin nowadays.

The Pictures

1. External Pano

16896305321_a628a7a0e5_b.jpg

16710317220_870645a82b_c.jpg

16871351746_1fdec907b1_c.jpg

16709834470_d3f1a066c7_c.jpg 16274868514_f8c77e2096_c.jpg

16689921357_4665ee72a3_c.jpg

7. Views from the top..

16274871434_9003bca02e_c.jpg

16689919037_c5c9dfb1de_c.jpg

16277264503_22442ffcc9_c.jpg

16711091779_e46a459e58_c.jpg

16277254913_a844496516_c.jpg

12. A couple of GoPro stills to end with..

16752578960_1db3da7f28_c.jpg

16914112476_d1aa9c6144_c.jpg

As always thanks for looking :thumb

Spot on HT :thumb 4 and 5 are cool. Gopro stills are nice also. Good to hear that you enjoyed a feast fit for a king while enjoying the view mate:)

Belated thanks for all your kind comments everyone! Such a nice historical place in a picturesque part of the UK, would highly recommend a visit :thumb

Always loved a decent castle and North Wales is the Daddy of castles. Thing is though, most are owned and looked after by CADW, not many are totally abandoned. I guess a decade or so of decay would be more than enough to make most buildings a wreck, but when the disrepair ranks in hundreds of years there wouldn't normally be an awful lot left to view.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By KPUrban_
      A short little report from a little while back.

Without going into too much detail this building is one of the more longer abandonments situated on the ground of a partially used hospital some where in the south.

The ground around the building has been flattened and at the time of our visit workers were at it digging the land up or something like that. 

After sneaking past the workers and into the building we spent a short period inside before the noise of wooden boards being cut filled the area. We got out before we couldn't anymore...

DSC_1785-HDR 

DSC_1791

DSC_1794

DSC_1773-HDR b

DSC_1777-HDR 

Anyways that'll be all.
    • By Stevepg
      Built in the 18th century Minera Hall was the former family home of the Dutons a timber importing magnate whose buisness collapsed when japan invaded Burma in WW2 halting the teak trade
      latterly in the later part of the 20th Century the hall became the villabe RBL club and now stands empty and derelict

The dry/wet rot battle spooked me when I first saw it never sen out like it before

• By KPUrban_
      The Site
      Dating back to 1874 these works have produced sodium carbonate common in cleaning products, dyes, fertilizers and other such products.
      The works have been operated under Brunner Mond, Imperial Chemical Industries, and TATA Chemical Europe. The works were also responsible for "accidentally" creating polythene in 1933 during an experiment.

TATA Europe closed these works in 2014 along with the attached power station responsible for power supply. 

Photos

DSC_0894 

DawnOfControl_ReEdit-2

MergingEras 

DustNRust 

DSC_1150-HDR 

DSC_1196-HDR

DSC_1207-HDR 

DSC_1044-HDR 

Anyway That'll be all.

• By PaulRevz
      may 2019
      I have no info about this camp in the wood near Coed Trefaith

• By PaulRevz
      may 2019

Anzio Camp

The Anzio Camp is situated near Leek in Staffordshire.
      The camp was first used by the US Army in 1943, to house troops.

In 1945/6 the camp was taken over by Polish troops.
      After the war it was used as a civilian settlement by the Poles until 1963/4 when they were moved to a purpose built site half a mile north of the camp
      I cannot find much information on what the camp was used for between 1963 and the early 80's.
      In 1980 the MOD took over the site and it was used as a training camp for Regular and Territorial Army troops and also scouts and cadets.
      The camp closed in 2004 as it was deemed surplus to requirements by the MOD

It was bought in 2006 by care operator John Munroe Hospital, of Rudyard, with a view to developing a care home.
      But the site was again sold, in July 2007, to a consortium of Courtyard Property Group and Smartwright Developments.
      Planning officers recommended that the planning application is refused on the grounds that the site lies within open countryside on the fringe of the Peak District National Park, which is designated as a Special Landscape Area.
      In 2010 the site was sold again to an Air soft company called first and Only.