Gambit

Ukrane Pripyat, Oct 2013

For those who don't know - and to be honest, I didn't until my planned trip, Pripyat is the name of the town that was built to house the workers of the Chernobyl Power plant. It is located about 2km from the Chernobyl nuclear power plant (ChNPP)

When the town was founded in 1970 it was a very modern and the facilities were incredible. I am sure that at the time, people would have been very jealous of living in such a great new town.

At the outskirts, the town sign is now more of a memorial than merely marking the town limits

10555531935_3dae135c29_o.jpg

At the time of the accident it had a population of around 49,000 people. This figure included people from over 134 different nationalities from within the USSR. The average age in Pripyat was just 26 and each year saw more than 1000 children born.

I got the impression that the main government buildings were decorated in a way that promoted how proud the USSR was of achievements across multiple areas. This is the mural in what was the Post Office

10542959543_4201c9d3c3_o.jpg

Within the town a newly constructed amusement park was built. Before it would ever see a single child, the explosion at the power plant turned the area in to a barren wasteland.

This is the now infamous ferris wheel as viewed from the boxing ring located in the Cultural Centre

10594892984_e02a80fab9_o.jpg

Another well documented view is the bumper cars

10590924496_f0f20d6a98_o.jpg

One of the things that struck me when I got off the bus on arrival at Pripyat was the sound, or rather lack of sound. Just the wind through the trees. No laughter, no town murmur, no traffic, no birds, no dogs, nothing. Just the rustling of the leaves in the light wind.

I made it to one of the rooftops, and the scary thing is, on the night of the explosion, residents also did the same. Whilst watching the fire, they would have had no idea that they were receiving a massive dose of radiation too.

10654687843_dfa3e03a6f_o.jpg

There are many stories of heroism during that night and the days and nights that followed. From the firefighters who were sent to battle the raging ferno with no clue as to what they were really dealing with to, what is in my opinion, the most heroic action - if there could be such a classification....

The reactor core was melting through the concrete structure of the build. As it bore through, it was heading towards a large pool of water - massive pool of water. According to some accounts, this pool was a back up to the cooling systems of the power plant. The main thing to understand though is that this pool, were the reactor core and surrounding radioactive mush, to come in contact with each other, the water would turn to super heated steam and cause a massive explosion. This explosion would have turned the most of Europe in to a wasteland. Frankly, neither you nor I would be sat here today had that happened.

In order for this to be avoided, the pool had to be drained. Valeri Bezpalov and Alexie Ananenko and Boris Baranov volunteered. Wearing only basic suba gear, they dove in to the highly toxic radioactive water to drain the pool. They knew they were diving to their deaths, but they did it.

10555520865_dd1fdd3edb_o.jpg

There are so many images from the very short visit to this place, please feel free to check out my flickr album

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Dale68
      Decided to go to the A R House as it's not far from me, finding the place, getting to the place was easy, getting in was easy. Once in, my battery on my DSLR decided to run out of juice, so I resorted to using the wifes point and shoot camera so sorry for the bad pictures. The worst thing it was raining so I couldn't fly my drone over it.

WARNING....Just be aware of a farmer on a quad bike, just started upstairs taking pictures, I heard a quad bike approach the house and stop outside, next thing there was banging on the door, so me and the wife just froze on the stairway I could hear him trying all the windows and doors to get in, he was at it for a good 10mins. I thought any minute now he will be inside, he came around to window we entered through I thought, Yep, here he comes, but all he did was shut the window and then we heard him drive off, at that point my wife was ready to make a bolt for it, I said we'll hang on a few minutes in case there was two of them and ones just driven off to make out they had gone, so a few minutes later we made our exit undetected, we did see him down bottom of the track loading his quad onto a trailer but he didn't say a word to us. The farmer is obviously aware of what's going on. so be aware if you decide to visit.

• By Dale68
      I visited this place back in March this year but was unable to get, so all I did was a video of the outside..
      https://youtu.be/zHgUYWhIeCk
      But as I was going past the place on route to another I thought Id give it another try, bingo I was in, nature has certainly taken over now. and its been well and truly plundered
      https://youtu.be/HIWBL1nx5pU

• By Stevepg
      3 days in the exclusuion zone reactor No 4 Prypyat Chernobyl; overnight stays within the zone locked in the hotel at 10pm curfew and restricted access to beer!! Also getting to meet some of the self settlers who returned to the area of their own accord not long after the disaster; just a few representative pictures taken 

• By Stevepg
      was lucky enough to spend 3 days in the exclusion zone earlier this year; some shote within the former USSR "secret" Radar Station

• By franconiangirl
      April 26, 1986. One single day, that changed the day of numerous people overnight. One day, that entered the annals of world´s history. It was the day, when reactor no. 4 of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant was destroyed after a power failure simulation gone wrong. On that day in April 1986 the nightsky exploded. The Chernobyl disaster released as much radioactive material into the environment as 400 atomic bombs would have done. 

I think, a lot has already been written about that topic and the Chernobyl catastrophe. A topic that I´ve always been fascinated of for many different reasons. Years ago, I told myself, I would never ever visit the zone. Last year, I´ve changed my mind and visited Chernobyl in September. I´m glad, I did. 

Around the nuclear power plant:

Kindergarten of the former village "Kopachi"

Kopachi was a former village near Chernobyl, today located within the Chernobyl exclusion zone. After the nuclear catastrophe in 1986, it was hit hard by nuclear fallout and had to be evacuated. All former houses were demolished and buried. Today, every mound of earth with a warning sign in it, marks the remains of one of the former houses. Only the kindergarten has survived time and does still exist. 

Pripyat

"[...] we lived in Pripyat, near the reactor. I can still see the bright- crimson glow, it was like the reactor was glowing. This 
      wasn´t an ordinary fire, it was some kind of emanation. It was pretty. [....] We didn´t know, that death could be so beautiful." 

(Nadezhda Vygovskaya (evacuee from Pripyat), excerpt from the book: Voices from Chernobyl by Svetlana Alexievich)

Middle School No. 3:

Palace of Culture "Energetik":

Amusement park:

Hospital No. 126

The hospital no. 126 consisted of 410 beds and was - among three further clinics - the biggest medical center of Pripyat. Until today the basement of the hospital is not only one of the most contaminated places of the Chernobyl exclusion zone, but of the world. Still, the pitch-dark cellar, holds the suits of the six firemen that were the first to work on the wrecked reactor and afterwards were instantly brought to the city hospital. Of course they received a lethal dosis of radiation. Consequently, they died shortly after their operation of radiation sickness. Still, 30 years after the catastrophe, they are so highly cotaminated that you would receive a lethal dosis in only short time. 

Café Pripyat near the same-named river:

Post Office:

Above the roofs of Pripyat:

There´s no better way to get a glimpse of the former size of the city than standing on a 16-storey-building, where the following captures were taken. For me, standing up there, was by far one of the most impressive experiences of my whole life. Only short time after the hard climb up the stairs, one thing really hit me in an instant: an indescribable silence I´ve never witnessed before. No cars, no air planes, no humans. Even birds are hardly singing. It´s probably hard to imagine for lots of people, at least for those living in densely populated areas. Even during a walk in the woods, one normally can hear the typical background noise of civilization. Suddenly, that noise was gone. My first thought was: dead silence. That impression is still affecting me deeply. The fact to look down on former traces of human lives only add to the unreal atmosphere. A whole city is at my feet and all I can hear is simply - nothing. I take a last look at the wrecked reactor no. 4 in the distance that soon will be disappeared underneath the new so-called New Safe Confinement (NSC). Despite the peaceful atmosphere, I still have the uneasy feeling of being a belated witness of a catastrophe which is hard to comprehend. 

DUGA - "The Russian Woodpecker"

The DUGA-array was part of an over-the-horizon radar system (OTH) and was located near the former Chernobyl nuclear power plant. It´s highest antenna was around 150 metres high and does still exist. The range of the array was around 9,000 kilometers. During the cold war era, the radar station was of course like similar stations top secret. 

Already at the end of the 1970's an interfering signal was received by short-wave radio stations. It sounded like a woodpecker that´s why it was later called "the Russian Woodpecker". It was early suspected, that those sounds might belong to a Soviet over-the-horizon radar. When reactor 4 of Chernobyl blew up, the OTH system could not be kept secret any longer. Thus, the theory was confirmed

There are also many conspiracy theories concerning the radar station. According to those theories, mind control and the possibility of influencing the weather were made possible by DUGA.