Fekneejit

UK Dyson Refractories - April 2015

Visited with hamtagger & Session9, good to meet you guys :)

I wasn't going to post a report, but I figure I got enough pics, though I didn't actually take any of the buildings, oops. Hopefully hamtagger will post some pics too so you can see what the site itself looks like...

History, (nicked from proj3ctm4yh3m's site) :eek:

Founded by John Dyson who began mining clay and making bricks in the early 1800s and from its inception the business prospered. The 1834 Sheffield trade directory lists – “John Dyson – Brick Maker, Stannington” which indicates that he ran the business on his own. However, by 1838 the business was listed as “John Dyson and Son – Black clay miners and firebrick manufacturers, Griffs House, Stannington. The son referred to was John his eldest son

Dyson’s were manufacturers of refractory material, ceramics for the steel industry, they also produce firebacks and other household ceramic bricks for the likes of Agas etc. They have also been know to sell clay for use in well dressings

Looking battered, not sure if the big collapsed building was like that last year, & pretty sure the chimney didn't just say "_yson" in the last report I saw. All a bit manky, but the odd nice bit.

sign.jpg

chimney1.jpg

chimney2.jpg

switch1.jpg

switch2.jpg

switch3.jpg

tunnel.jpg

graff.jpg

shelves.jpg

Edited by Fekneejit

Damn that was quick, i'm still picking the asbestos off me haha.

Nice set of pictures there mate! Was a good day, nice to meet you bud :thumb

Ah, I thought the name on the chimney was complete when I'd seen it before. I'm tempted to Photoshop it :)

That's another Sheffield graffiti artist name I've learned this week, along with Coloquix. Got another Colorati piece elsewhere in Sheff today too..

puglife.jpg

Pug Life :D

...along with some Coloquix that I've seen pictures of before...

coloquix1.jpg

Was a good day SK, always good to meet new people and put a face to the name isn't it :)

Bumped into another "team" of explorers yesterday too and told them to get their asses on OS :D

I need more abandoned industry to get my eye in to derpy building photos, all I was seeing that was worth a pic were the small details. I could probably spend a while in the dark there getting long exposure shots though, I wasn't expecting the one I posted to work, if I thought it would I'd have tried more.

Rather amusing with the other lot, at Dyson's the only time I seemed to see any of them we met at corners & made each other jump :D

Nicely done, also love seeing Colorarti's stuff, you can do the green bottle challenge at Cannon brewery if you're feeling inspired :D

Yeah I was chuffed to find the plant room with the switches & gauges :D

I haven't been to Cannon Brewery yet, I'm waiting 'til I've got company, it's on the edge of a very dodgy area. What's the green bottle challenge?!?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By urbexdevil
      With an ever lasting itch to explore a prison or police station that needed scratching, the time came to explore Brentwood Police Station. Unfortunately solo but a great explore despite!

So after finding a good access point and choosing my moment wisely between passers by, I found myself within the grounds of the police station and soon inside.
      The building is mostly stripped out and a bare shell but that wasn’t the main sight to see, I had my mind set on finding the cells! After trying every door it was just my luck they were in the last place I looked.
      Attempting the court house adjacent the police station proved unsuccessful.

History courtesy of Mockney Reject

• By crabb
      An independent members only club, dedicated to the working man who required a certain place for private meetings and events. 
      This place has a little bit of everything. Dark, creepy unlit rooms, and rooms where light was still flourishing through the gaps and crevices. 
      It has had many aliases since the buildings birth in the 1920's and had less than 300 members.
      Along the many years the workmens club was usually packed full of people, to the point you couldn't even move. 
      Slowly but surely however the club started to lose money as members became scarce. It couldn't pay it's own way and since the number of members started dwindling,
      the Workmans club had to close its doors to the few remaining loyal members. 
      Now sits empty and has done for more than 6 years now.
      Hopefully the building can see new life in the near future, but for me it was good to get an unusual view of the club.
      Cheers for looking!

• By crabb
      As usual with our explores, they are never really a walk in the park. Access to the building itself was a challenge as the top area in which we needed to go was locked off completely. Thankfully, being quite adapted to the tasks at hand, we managed to ride on top of a lift to gain access to the building. 
      Once inside it was clear that the building was in quite a bad state. Natural erosion has started eating away at the 60 year old building, and rust can be found throughout.
      Pigeons were lurking in the crevices and the whole place smelt of damp. 
      The building was a former office block but has been abandoned for 20 or more years.
      Here is some of the best photos we managed to get. Thanks for looking! 
      C

P.S - Check out our channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/Kirbsvids

• By Lavino
      Millennium tower Salford quays 
      It is not to be confused by the never-built London Millennium Tower (which could’ve gone up to 386 metres!). The dual building is a residential highrise located on the eastern side of the Media City Quays. The tallest one of the two is 67 metres, and the shorter one (Millennium Point) at around 45 metres. Designed to suit the modernised skyline of Salford, it has a rather minimalistic approach. Luckily not a lot of information can be salvaged from the internet, so I don’t have to type up much

Had a look on the roof of the millennium tower. Was evening time so photos were late afternoon then a walk around media city.

DSC_3193 by Lavino lavino, on Flickr

DSC_3229 by Lavino lavino, on Flickr

DSC_3229 by Lavino lavino, on Flickr

DSC_3221 by Lavino lavino, on Flickr

DSC_3205 by Lavino lavino, on Flickr

DSC_3203 by Lavino lavino, on Flickr

DSC_3198 by Lavino lavino, on Flickr

DSC_3253 by Lavino lavino, on Flickr

DSC_3252 by Lavino lavino, on Flickr

DSC_3244 by Lavino lavino, on Flickr

DSC_3240 by Lavino lavino, on Flickr

DSC_3239 by Lavino lavino, on Flickr