Maniac

The big Kent Meetup, 5th / 6th September 2015

Come and spend the tail end of the summer exploring, relaxing and having a good time in Kent. OK it is the arse end of England, but we've never had a proper big meet down here . . . . until now!

I've been promising people for a long time that I would organise a meet in Kent, so here it is. Date is set as I can't really do many other weekends so apologies to those who can't make it.

This will be an exploring meet staying in a nice location in the Kent countryside, we're not going to be stuck in a pub. Bring your own beer, food and something to sleep in. The venue will be announced via PM nearer the time as I have two in mind, both are in areas where there are other things to explore nearby so you can make a day of it and meet up in the evening. You won't necessarily need a tent as both venues have sheltered areas you can sleep in and places you can hang hammocks (you may need pitons thou)

One venue has a lake next to it you can kayak in, both have areas we can rig a short pitch for rope techniques.

So if you're interested say below and keep the 5th 6th September free! :-)

There's no limit on numbers here and members old and new are equally welcome so if you've never attended a meet before, now's your chance to come and meet us all.

This is a cross-forum explorers meet so they'll be members from other UE forums and Facebook. There's no limits to numbers really, but keep it to people you trust only.

Maniac :-)

im away this weekend for a mates bday :( Have fun people!

Shame. Judging by the number of responses I've had on facebook, this should be a meet to remember! :D

Shame. Judging by the number of responses I've had on facebook, this should be a meet to remember! :D

Ahhh mannnn, don't tell me that :(

Im already paid up for a 4 day drinking weekender :(

3 weeks to go until this, and preparations are underway to make this a good one.

Anyone on here who wants to come who's not on the Facebook event page, let me know and I'll make sure I keep you in the loop.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By btn_urbex
      HISTORY
      Tenterden Town railway station is a heritage railway station on the Kent and East Sussex Railway in Tenterden, Kent, England.

When the railway line first opened in 1900, Rolvenden Station was known as "Tenterden". Its name was changed when the line extended north three years later and a station closer to Tenterden was constructed. The new Tenterden Town station opened on 16 March 1903.The line closed for regular passenger services on 4 January 1954 and all traffic in 1961. It reopened on 3 February 1974 under the aegis of the Tenterden Railway Company which bought the line between Tenterden and Bodiam. The station now houses the KESR's Carriage and Wagon works, and the Colonel Stephens Museum is located nearby.

EXPLORE
      So we set out on our explore with a list of places We wanted to check out. After a few not amounting to much and the next couple being total fails, we parked up and regrouped! 
      The  Tenterden site had been on my radar for a while (although I couldn’t be 100% about it’s location) so after a little discussion we decided to take a chance and head out to try and find the Lost Railway and its Train Graveyard.
      We headed toward the closest point by road, parked up and set off along a short path way. The area was really quiet apart from the odd dog walker.  After literally five minutes we knew we were in the right place and could see the abandoned trains hidden amongst the trees.  Access was easy literally a small hop over the fence and down the bank, there they were! 
      Its the first time any of us had ever done an explore of this nature and it was amazing... 
      Anyway here are some of the pictures we took throughout the explore.
      Thanks for reading 😊

• By JohnnyThunderdrone
      Hi fellas, a country house with many curious things to see, i hope you enjoy :

• By jane doe
      Another old explore ...a little gem in Kent   

• By Landie_Man
      Ida Darwin Hospital, Cambridge, September 2017/Jan 2018         

Another year, another one of Landies big backlogs!   I first did this site back in September with a non-explorer friend.  It was pretty boring overall and the one building which looked any good, turned out to be inaccessible.  I later heard the warped door round the back needed a bit of extra tug; but was open!  Doh! 
      I kept hold of the photos until I returned in January of this year with another non explorer and went for the more intact building!  Sadly upon arrival; we found the nice part of the hospital to be completely trashed!  Double Doh!
      Still, it was a day out and good to be in somewhere. 

The hospital is partly live, but seems to be closing at a fair rate of knots. 

Way back in the late 19th century; people with brain injuries and single mothers were referred to as "feeble minded" and local authorities were to provide public asylums to house those deemed to be "pauper lunatics".
      Fulbourn Asylum was opened in 1858 for the feeble minded people of Cambridge to be kept in as it was considered that those people should be segregated from the rest of society.

By the 1960s, the need for provision of dedicated care and support of the mentally handicapped people in the area was noted. The below site was chosen by The East Anglia regional Hospital Board; next to the Fulbourn mental hospital.
       The then new hospital site catered for 250 residents and the aim was that the facilities would enable each resident to maximise their greatest potential. The hospital was named Ida Darwin and has been slowly closing down over the last couple of years.

There was also a weird poo room where someone had turned a table on  its side and had been going behind the table turned over.  Perhaps someone living rough here.  

As Always, thanks guys!

More At:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/albums/72157693924924014
    • By silverainbow
      Well guys, this has been covered on more than one occasion, and I've visited this site on more than one of the numerous open days over previous years never been lucky enough to get any Pics due to the hoards of people all over the place, So when one very kind Barry Stewart offered me free reign of the place for a few hours obviously I happily and very gratefully took him up on his offer.
      So, For a bit of History ;
      The Drop Redoubt is one of the two forts on Western Heights, and is linked to the other, the Citadel, by a series of dry moats (the lines). It is, arguably, the most impressive and immediately noticeable feature on Dover’s Western Heights.
      The artillery at the Redoubt faced mostly inland; it was intended to attack an invading force attempting to capture Dover from the rear.
      The construction of the Redoubt was in two periods: the first being from 1804-1808 during the Napoleonic Wars, and the second from 1859-1864 following the recommendations of the 1859 Royal Commission.

Well, That's all folks, Thanks for taking a look

More can be found out about this fantastic Structure Here;