Nelly

UK The Churchgate Hotel - The Chantry House - Aug 2015

At the south end of Churchgate Street stands the 16th-century Chantry House, later to become the Churchgate hotel.

It was built after the Reformation on land that had formed the endowment of John of Staunton's chantry in the parish church.

It was bought by Alexander Stafford in 1615 and was sold some time after his death in 1652 to Samuel Harrison, whose descendants sold it to J. W. Perry-Watlington in 1855.

The building, timber-framed and plastered, had a fine doorway and original features, but has been much altered in the 20th century.

Closed earlier this year and it's future is uncertain as a planning application to convert it into apartments has fallen through

11873224_10153245796277917_724833700_o_zpsvtiq7on6.jpg

2_zps2vly8eug.jpg

IMG_5474e_zpsvcwczihp.jpg

pool%202_zpsmysfucf0.jpg

pool%201_zps2jrcq3fp.jpg

IMG_5523e_zpsfk6w7g7g.jpg

IMG_5516e_zpsckzmifrg.jpg

IMG_5524e_zps5pbrwmkf.jpg

IMG_5513e_zpsk2g3pf2s.jpg

IMG_5507e_zpsctzsvye3.jpg

IMG_5512e_zpsnlvalf4a.jpg

IMG_5506e_zpsc4cic77v.jpg

IMG_5505e_zpsg21jmnfp.jpg

IMG_5502e_zpshcevhk4s.jpg

IMG_5501ee_zpsdkbwk7c6.jpg

IMG_5495e_zps4dgjxraf.jpg

IMG_5497e_zps5aujsjrc.jpg

IMG_5494e_zpsdevajejk.jpg

IMG_5492e_zpsk9ufthh4.jpg

IMG_5490e_zps5ftsnydi.jpg

IMG_5489e_zpseg2nnm7p.jpg

IMG_5488e_zpsgsy98kln.jpg

IMG_5487e_zpstotgtjkf.jpg

IMG_5486e_zps4u4z302f.jpg

IMG_5475e_zpslqedjlit.jpg

IMG_5484e_zpskbop7ejj.jpg

IMG_5480e_zpstaawtb7x.jpg

IMG_5477e_zpsrehbrqva.jpg

Nelly you missed out the most important part of the places history and that being I use to work behind the bar many many moons ago lol.

Its funny seeing the place like this and surprise its closed as use to be a busy old place.

Saying that there's a lot of competition now around the Airport.

Nice work mate :thumb

Nelly you missed out the most important part of the places history and that being I use to work behind the bar many many moons ago lol.

:thumb

And that is probably why they went bust mate!!

A nice set! The pool is strange. From what are the pieces / sherds (no decay around)?

A nice set! The pool is strange. From what are the pieces / sherds (no decay around)?

They are smashed up toilets and sinks that were being removed from the rooms, it seems that work had begun on the place and then the developers withdrew their planning application.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By skeleton key
      Thankful there was enough remaining to grab some shots and at the same time have a good giggle
      Splored With Lara,Trog and peaches

In the back area of the stage Lara found some costumes and the silliness began.
      Beds began to roll up and down the corridors .

Better not to ask

I nearly ran straight into secca.
      At first i thought it was another fool dressed up but as Sindbad
      Then realized he was a Sihk Secca lol

This fella was either as deaf as a post or turned a blind eye & I wasnt fussed with either.
      As was more to see and we put a bit of distance between us and the now named Turbanator.

Cheers for looking in

• By Lenston
      History 

The engineering company J.E. Billups of Cardiff who also constructed Mireystock Bridge and the masonry work on the Lydbrook viaduct commenced construction of the tunnel in 1872 using forest stone. The tunnel is 221 metres in length and took 2 years to construct. The tunnel allowed the connection of the Severn and Wye Valley railway running from Lydney with the Ross and Monmouth network at Lydbrook. The first mineral train passed through the tunnel on 16 August 1874. Passenger services commenced in September 1875 pulled by the engine Robin Hood.

The history of this section of line is not without incident - a railway ganger was killed in the tunnel by a train in 1893 and a locomotive was derailed by a fallen block of stone in the cutting at the northern entrance in 1898.
      The line officially closed to passenger trains in July 1929 but goods trains continued to use the line until the closure of Arthur & Edward Colliery at Waterloo in 1959 and Cannop Colliery in 1960. Lifting of the track was completed in 1962. The tunnel and cutting were buried with spoil in the early 1970's.

Thanks to the vision and enthusiasm of a group of local Forest railway enthusiasts assisted by Forest Enterprise the top of the northern portal of the tunnel (with its unusual elliptical shape) which has lain buried for 30 years has now been exposed. 
      As of 2018 the tunnel now still lays abandoned with no sign of the cycle track and the £50,000 funding seemingly gone to waste.

Pics

Thanks for looking
    • By jane doe
      I was passing here today on way home from work so called in to have a look ...Quite a nice little explore ☺️

• By UrbanBeginner1
      This church had been on my bucket list for a while and I finally got access, granted it happened last year. I don't know a lot of the history of the church, other than the congregation was founded by German immigrats in the 1800s. The origional church burned in the Chicago fire and a new one was constructed in 1904. In the 1910s Polish immigrants moved in and the German congregation declined in membership. It bounced back and years later in the 50s a large Puerto Rican population came in and spanish masses were offered for the first time. Membership throughout the 60s and 70s etc kept declining and in 1990 the church officially closed. The rectory, convent and school were all torn down. As for the chruch a development company owns it and want's to turn it into luxury condos and a music school. 

• By Ferox
      I first had a look at this spot in 2015. Almost three years on the place has been knocked about a bit and it seemed stripped somehow from the last visit. Did not spend that long in here. As I parked up an old lady drove passed paying more attention to the my car than I liked, so I blasted round in about twenty minutes ☺️ When I came out an old chap drove passed again paying a lot of attention to myself and the car. Country Watch in full swing ☺️ Nice to see the place again but, it did appear to have lost something over the three years.

Thanks for Looking

More pics on my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157669030838798/with/28272201358/