Explored with Raz, but i have revisited and met various others.

I apologise in advance for the amount of photos but I LOVED this location.

21223291639_5b0f5db4d8_c.jpg

Background;

The Crescent Cinema stands on the corner of Ropergate and Front Street and was designed by local architects Garside and Pennington.

21383409606_ef727c81c0_c.jpg

It opened on 2nd November 1926 and within the complex was the 2 tier, 1,190 seat cinema which had a fully equipped stage with associated dressing rooms for such plays as Dirty Dancing, and a cafe and a substantial dance hall which in its day hosted balls for the mayor.

21222741499_eece8d0a1d_c.jpg

It was taken over by the Leeds based Star Cinemas chain in 1944, (as was the Alexandra Cinema in town) and as the popularity of cinemas waned the Alexandra Cinema was the property turned over to bingo in 1961 with films continuing at the Crescent Cinema. However when the Alexandra Cinema was sold off for redevelopment in 1971 Star sub-divided the Crescent Cinema forming a bingo hall in the former stalls and a new 412 cinema in the balcony that, like many of their cinemas, was renamed Studio 1.

21409638345_5ee747b41c_c.jpg

Further changes in ownership to the Cannon Group took place, bingo was superseded by snooker and the Cannon Cinema closed in 1993. It has not been used since although the snooker continues and a school of dance occupies the former ballroom. The old cinema is the upper tier of the grand film hall and is complete with full projector set and refraction mirror.

21399128392_ccd6d1a7d9_c.jpg

The Explore;

If i was to set the scene of our endevours well, it would start with something like this;

"One dreery night, with the clouds covering the moon and the rain whistling in the cool wind. We approached the old oaken doors set back in the darkness of the alcove from the amber glow of the street lights..."

But this is not a story. We arrived on a pleasant September evening with the sun just going down, after a stealthy entrance and a quick stoop i was instantly impressed by this place. Having been in ABC in Wakefield, I expected a pigeon shit filled, asbestos topped death trap half flooded in water that smells a lot like the swamp from Never Ending Story... However this was not the case and it is in fact filled with some of the coolest little gems ive ever seen.

When myself and raz were first exploring this place we felt very very paranoid and im not entirely sure why. At every sound this old creeky building made we would stop dead still and hold our breath. In hindsight i wish id have been recording all the way round as it would have made for some hilairious and strangley fitting footage of us creeping round a derelict theatre to Benny Hill. At one point we made it into a tunnel system which we at first hoped to be the fabled "Market Run" but obviously its not as i am writing the report on the Cinema rather than still trying to find my way out after stumbling across the many beer cellers we know to be down there :thumb

21383726756_e36fdb3c1e_c.jpg

21399133892_34d14c81d5_c.jpg

Over the last few days i must have spent around 4 hours just moving room to room taking it all in and really experimenting with light painting. I hope this stays in NP for some time as the minute it comes out into the public forums the local scroats will be in the rob the place blind and leave behind well... The ABC Theatre, Wakefield.

Heres some of the finer areas :thumb

21235243768_e1ffb2053e_c.jpg

21235265838_ce7f7ee2ca_c.jpg

21222208708_37f127ec08_c.jpg

21418466811_1b3043bffa_c.jpg

20787350444_1bde652733_c.jpg

21399206372_c9c9ca4b0e_c.jpg

21383853196_e05601a919_c.jpg

21223217329_9d82b14434_c.jpg

21222313848_1bab0b1f95_c.jpg

21410139565_4d736f0e9b_c.jpg

21223254229_e2738d6ed0_c.jpg

21431508071_a5b0f59147_c.jpg

21235010910_70215f3b6f_c.jpg

21431517431_6d11f468bd_c.jpg

21412180262_8035339a52_c.jpg

20802014003_ed61ec1f58_c.jpg

21431534481_5d2f755b8d_c.jpg

21235037550_f5ca974796_c.jpg

Nice one of the dance hall to finish :D

20802034253_103f9e5428_c.jpg

If you got this far, thanks for reading :thumb

Edited by Hydro3xploric

Nice mate, sure you mean "experimenting light painting whilst taking my torch hostage"

Is that not usually the case? ;)

Can i borrow that for 2 mins -Never to be seen again-

Lol great write up and colourful pics there mate, great looking place this one indeed thanks for posting :thumb

Cheers mate :D

Nicely shot matey :thumb

You deffo" need a decent torch in here, that"s for sure.

Didn"t take long for the media whores to get it sealed up did it ? ......maybe it"ll survive a little longer now ;)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Nikonlover
      Popped out with the new camera yesterday with two friends. Still getting used to it. :D Went to Hi-Finish Castings in Birmingham. 

From what I could find out with paperwork inside the land was bought in 1935 at a cost of £12,000. In between 1935 and 1941 the building was built and an inventory took place in July 1941 at a cost of £25,269. 

Various metals were made for all types of products like wall fittings (Sockets and light fixtures) to car parts(Door handles, wing mirror casing and much more) and they had various clients like Bentley, Ford and Talbot. 

In the early days also Mitchells and Butler where involved in the company. 

Was a great relaxed explore and even though the main factory space was empty (It had some gems) the offices were great. The safe in the toilet had some wonderful paperwork in it detailing the history. What a depressing canteen though. Windows on all sides with a view of a brick wall. Some wonderful gems about if you look though.

Closed in 2008 I believe with a loss of about 42 jobs. Company is no longer about.

Enjoy.
    • By BrotherHoodUrbex
      History
      Margaret Beaven School is a grade II-listed building that was built in 1885 and was designed by Francis Doyle.
      The house was originally called Eddesbury, it was supposedly the last sustainable Victorian house that was built in West Derby.
      It was once occupied by Danson Cunningham a friend of Margaret Beaven who was Liverpool's first woman lord mayor.
      Since the school shut down 13 years ago, the building has been used for filming purposes.

It was reported that in May 2018, there was a large fire that ripped throughout the building, we don't know which parts of the building have been damaged as we have not been back since.

Our Visit
      After driving past this place a few times previous to our visit, we decided to have a look online to see if anyone had visited the site before us and unfortunately we came up empty-handed. After realizing this, we took it upon our selves to go down and try gain access, it took us 3 visits before we finally found an entry point. The access point was hard to get through as it was awkward and a tight squeeze.
      The front part of the building is boarded up and is alarmed, we did manage to gain access but the alarm was unbearable so we decided to just leave it. Once we left, we hung around to see if someone would show up and they did. 
      Overall, the explore was well worth it even though we didn't stay to get pictures of the main building.

• By Landie_Man
      Another backlog from a West Country Road Trip back in late May with Mookster, our American explorer friend and myself.  This was our second stop off on our first day on the trip; our first being Tone Mills, a revisit for me so I haven't done a report, but with Tone its always a pleasure seeing it.  A wonderful site each and every time.  
      The three of us embarked on the large two day road trip in my trusty 1988 Volvo 240 and rocked up in Torrington that morning.  This site has been derelict for absolutely years, but its in the arse end of nowhere so its taken a while to see it.
      -

Closed in 1993; Dairy Crest's Creamery sat on a site which had been a creamery since 1874.  This particular Art Deco site was built in the 1930's to meet needs, but When the government de-centralised milk collection,the creamery was finally killed off and it closed its doors; a severe blow to the area; with around 200 Job losses.

More At:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/landie_man/albums/72157699243815344
    • By jakeurbexphotography
      On the outskirts of Fishburn lies the derelict Winterton hospital. Winterton hospital used to be very big however most of its buildings were demolished and this part is the only building that remains of it. All of the windows are boarded up however when we got there it looked like someone had pulled the entire doorway off causing the whole thing to open making an entry so easy. Inside the building is in terrible condition, (similar to St. peter's) with collapsed floors, wallpaper peeling, water damage etc. We also didn't realise at the time that the building had asbestos but luckily we had masks so make sure to bring one if you're planning on going inside. We were unable to access the top floor due to the floor being so bad so we only got photos from the corridor as we came up the stairs. That all being said, winterton hospital does have a lot of history and it is a shame to see it left in such a poor state. 

• By jakeurbexphotography
      Just off the A66 in Darlington, there is an abandoned farm called Little Burdon farm, it has been derelict for at least a decade. It consists of different buildings being from a farmhouse to old barns or stables. There's really two farmhouses, a red brick one and a more modern white house. It also looks like some refurbishment/demolition has taken place but again has been held off or abandoned. The farm was built around the 1830s and is grade 2 listed. There is no security here and is easy to get into all of the buildings. That being said the buildings are indeed derelict so some floors are dangerous and can't be accessed. In the white house building, part of the upstairs floor has been removed due to the refurbishment works but has been left standing as it is.  It also looks like the rooms have been stripped out and all electrics and gas pipes have been removed.