mookster

USA Various American Misadventures - Sept 2015

As this will be the last new thread on my third American trip, here is a mixed bag of all the locations I explored which ended up yielding not enough photos for a separate thread all heaped together in one tidy mess.

Union Carbide

This was a revisit for me, I had first explored this place last year but the people I were with had never been, and after the ridiculously tight access into St. Mary's Manor we needed something easy. As we ventured inside, the heavens opened and rain started pouring down, and not long after that the noise of the rain was broken by shouts and smashing sounds as some local shits turned up, which we took as our cue to leave.

Union Carbide was the company responsible for the Bhopal disaster, and their old facility in Niagara Falls is one of, if not the most polluted location I have ever explored.

21900919010_030b08bba5_b.jpg

22089113745_818090a8e7_b.jpg

21467972133_beee5d3918_b.jpg

Wildroot Hair Tonic Factory

After we left Union Carbide we had a few more fails, and in the dying light of the afternoon headed to what should have been an easy in/out explore. Wildroot was a company that manufactured hair tonics and their factory in Buffalo has been derelict for decades and is nothing more than a ruined shell. The explore was quick, as it's in a pretty shady neighbourhood but it was coming out when it all went pear shaped. We walked back to our car parked by the train tracks nearby and noticed a CSX Police SUV doing a u-turn infront of our car (CSX being the main American railway company). We knew as soon as we saw it we were going to get pulled over when we drove off and sure enough, the SUV followed us. We pulled over and to cut a long story with a few nailbiting moments short, we all very narrowly avoided getting arrested. Had the police officer not been almost at the end of his shift, and had he phoned to get the real Buffalo PD down to search us and the car, we would have all been in some deep proverbial doo-doo and I would have been spending a night in the cells. As it was, he let us off with a warning although he was trying to pin stuff on us and get us to admit to things. American police are not the cuddly friendly neighbourhood bobbies seen in the UK, believe me...

22076640772_964c451ab2_b.jpg

21466284974_9bcc2ff1ba_b.jpg

21900939480_60059bfcf5_b.jpg

21466278834_948be3f5e8_b.jpg

Hollow House

While waiting for some of my companions to get their crap together, me and one of my new found American friends went for a little adventure by ourselves to this old restaurant/apartment building on the edge of town. Not a huge amount to see but it was quite interesting seeing a house totally demolished internally right back to the wooden skeleton. The ground floor housed a restaurant and upstairs was a two floor apartment.

22128852781_ec6db99ea6_b.jpg

21495971504_ded81f9dda_b.jpg

21497690683_4b3731ccc8_b.jpg

21497688683_f940210cb3_b.jpg

21931877269_4b3dfb8082_b.jpg

22092600676_4e91b93b78_b.jpg

22106223192_02465f2cde_b.jpg

Hobart Stone Dealers

Almost opposite the Hollow House is an old quarry used as a dump site for a local stone dealers, with a couple of old vehicles and a whole load of the sorts of stone used in lots of American graveyards as headstones around the place.

22128917941_d4a41c3f85_b.jpg

22128920251_05c25ae2fc_b.jpg

Trestle Bridge

Bit of a cheeky one this, as it's a live railway, but I've always wanted to shoot a bridge.

21972353219_98a046d2a9_b.jpg

21971379748_87034abbff_b.jpg

21538058403_573dfae83f_b.jpg

22132942416_ff0f6aabef_b.jpg

DL&W Roundhouse

Lastly, a revisit to a place I first saw in the snow back in March. The only surviving railway roundhouse in New York State.

I only took a couple of photos as I wasn't really there to shoot the place, I was there to shoot a model.

22167637825_440d3ee090_b.jpg

21979545600_eacbf84b50_b.jpg

Thanks for looking :P