Ferox

UK Severalls Hospital, Day Visit. September 2015.

After a night visit with four non members I had a couple of hours around here in the morning on my own. I was buzzing about seeing this place the previous evening but, seeing the old girl in the daylight was another thing again, absolutely amazing. Had a relaxed (surprisingly) mooch marvelling over the decay and features in here until I started hearing noises about two hours in. I got to the area with the Welcome to Severalls muriel with the intent of making my way to the section where the tunnels meet when I seen a white car parked up with someone sat in the driving seat with the door open. Could not be arsed with any hassle on my own so I quietly retraced my steps out of that area and got out of the site. A fantastic place this one and I can definitely see a re visit or two on the cards.

History

Severalls Hospital in Colchester, Essex, United Kingdom was a psychiatric hospital built in 1910 to the design of architect Frank Whitmore. It opened in May 1913.

The 300-acre (120 ha) site housed some 2000 patients and was based on the "Echelon plan" - a specific arrangement of wards, offices and services within easy reach of each other by a network of interconnecting corridors. This meant that staff were able to operate around the site without the need to go outside in bad weather. Unlike modern British hospitals, patients in Severalls were separated according to their gender. Villas were constructed around the main hospital building as accommodation blocks between 1910 and 1935. Most of the buildings are in the Queen Anne style, with few architectural embellishments, typical of the Edwardian period. The hospital closed as a psychiatric hospital in the early 1990s following the closure of other psychiatric institutions. However, a small section remained open until 20 March 1997

1/2

01_zpsmeq3uclj.jpg 02_zpsbocpfl4x.jpg

3/4

03_zpsi2dloyng.jpg 04_zpscuq2sdjt.jpg

06_zpsldehayzt.jpg

d586f112-73ad-4582-baa0-2942a2f9d354_zpsvqnp7icg.jpg

08_zpsffayfzb0.jpg

6568c204-29c3-4391-8ffa-8d3daf501a84_zpswsklpwrv.jpg

9/10

10_zpsg5xbhfac.jpg 11_zpsxkdwtqbu.jpg

12201_zpsmuzdr60s.jpg

12202_zpsmdnebjpp.jpg

12203_zpsihii4esi.jpg

14/15

b0c0ca66-3a72-4834-bce6-1fdf3125c73c_zpscqycthtd.jpg 13_zpsyo2xjddt.jpg

16/17

14_zpsmd0nr8xm.jpg 15201_zpsuwuboa8q.jpg

18/19

15202_zpso7l6y8p2.jpg 15203_zpsrspigy62.jpg

20/21

ca4d869f-467f-4b33-bd9b-ab972a02fe19_zpsikkdxslm.jpg 15205_zpsyv4gxutx.jpg

15206_zpsgo7kukdu.jpg

Thanks For Looking :thumb

Glad you got to finally see the place Ferox, definitely still a great mooch after all this time :)

:comp:

One that had been on the list from the start bud. Over the moon to finally see the old girl :)

Great stuff mate, liking the 8th shot & all the corridor ones obviously, am glad you got to see it as well.

Cheers bud :) You would love it mate.

You got some nice shots there, the old girl has a lot to give and never fails to disappoint. A bit like returning home to see your mum after a while and being presented with a perfect roast dinner :D

You got some nice shots there, the old girl has a lot to give and never fails to disappoint. A bit like returning home to see your mum after a while and being presented with a perfect roast dinner :D

Thanks mate :thumb Really enjoyed this place. Excellent description of the old girls greatness :)