wellingtonian

UK Longbridge Tunnels, Birmingham. Nov 2015

Longbridge Tunnels

Visited during an interesting nights exploring in Brum with Lenston.

Here's some history shamelessly lifted from from his excellent report:

The ‘Shadow Factory Tunnels’ are the remnants of Lord Austin’s secret plans that were hatched to bolster British military might in the face of German military aggression in the arms race that led up to the start of the Second World War.

This was where munitions workers produced the Merlin engines that powered the Spitfires and Hawker Hurricanes used to regain control of the British skies during the Battle of Britain in 1940.

The Shadow Scheme involved two parts - building nine new factories and extending existing factories - including the Longbridge plant.

Australian-born industrialist and Conservative MP, Lord Austin - also the founder of Austin Motors - had already contributed to the war effort in the First World War, turning his factories to munitions and engine production.

After the war, the factory returned to producing automobiles and the tunnels were abandoned.

By the late 1960s, the Longbridge plant was the second largest car plant in the world.

But since the collapse of MG Rover, part of the site was redeveloped for housing and commercial purposes

Here's the iconic shot of ladies building the engines during the war

9f92d7798a84a24831641c0002eb90ec_zpsxydteonn.jpg

And on with some shonky pics.

26e4837a8852921d4cc346fb6ce68798_zpsd8hcjlmd.jpg

Lenston doing what he does best :D

cb1ace0d21c6011b13bd390fb1963f2f_zpsehphvrec.jpg

c9182dfb54046366e3bba689726f43a8_zpsvb7z3ufs.jpg

DSCI2000_zpsmhmveuaf.jpg

91e151fe76baf96b22d28849040d606d_zpslcnn5rjt.jpg

5a98944394ee4e8f8527eddd2c4ac9ee_zpslbmo4kfa.jpg

64c0cc4c560ece67b6b0dedea5eaa12f_zpsitapzxes.jpg

43faa56e77c4a0585c1bf86451406842_zps9rssmlyl.jpg

Some sections had been painted and were really well preserved

96cfd4900358e469e4a6c121a04be986_zpszpns1qij.jpg

da85723af8533fdad00859cd7d8f3c16_zpsj7w877dt.jpg

That bin......

4ba64279890190a5fb6b24fcd0883b44_zpskprqqucu.jpg

85539a75bb7a81a2ad11617e064a50ac_zpsviwq23gh.jpg

Thanks for looking :thumb

Amazing that there's still a few bits and pieces left from it's days as part of the Rover plant. Nice report mate, thanks for posting it. :thumb

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Lenston
      History 

The engineering company J.E. Billups of Cardiff who also constructed Mireystock Bridge and the masonry work on the Lydbrook viaduct commenced construction of the tunnel in 1872 using forest stone. The tunnel is 221 metres in length and took 2 years to construct. The tunnel allowed the connection of the Severn and Wye Valley railway running from Lydney with the Ross and Monmouth network at Lydbrook. The first mineral train passed through the tunnel on 16 August 1874. Passenger services commenced in September 1875 pulled by the engine Robin Hood.

The history of this section of line is not without incident - a railway ganger was killed in the tunnel by a train in 1893 and a locomotive was derailed by a fallen block of stone in the cutting at the northern entrance in 1898.
      The line officially closed to passenger trains in July 1929 but goods trains continued to use the line until the closure of Arthur & Edward Colliery at Waterloo in 1959 and Cannop Colliery in 1960. Lifting of the track was completed in 1962. The tunnel and cutting were buried with spoil in the early 1970's.

Thanks to the vision and enthusiasm of a group of local Forest railway enthusiasts assisted by Forest Enterprise the top of the northern portal of the tunnel (with its unusual elliptical shape) which has lain buried for 30 years has now been exposed. 
      As of 2018 the tunnel now still lays abandoned with no sign of the cycle track and the £50,000 funding seemingly gone to waste.

Pics

Thanks for looking
    • By jane doe
      I was passing here today on way home from work so called in to have a look ...Quite a nice little explore ☺️

• By UrbanBeginner1
      This church had been on my bucket list for a while and I finally got access, granted it happened last year. I don't know a lot of the history of the church, other than the congregation was founded by German immigrats in the 1800s. The origional church burned in the Chicago fire and a new one was constructed in 1904. In the 1910s Polish immigrants moved in and the German congregation declined in membership. It bounced back and years later in the 50s a large Puerto Rican population came in and spanish masses were offered for the first time. Membership throughout the 60s and 70s etc kept declining and in 1990 the church officially closed. The rectory, convent and school were all torn down. As for the chruch a development company owns it and want's to turn it into luxury condos and a music school. 

• By Ferox
      I first had a look at this spot in 2015. Almost three years on the place has been knocked about a bit and it seemed stripped somehow from the last visit. Did not spend that long in here. As I parked up an old lady drove passed paying more attention to the my car than I liked, so I blasted round in about twenty minutes ☺️ When I came out an old chap drove passed again paying a lot of attention to myself and the car. Country Watch in full swing ☺️ Nice to see the place again but, it did appear to have lost something over the three years.

Thanks for Looking

More pics on my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157669030838798/with/28272201358/
    • By Ferox
      Had a look at this place on a recent trip to Scotland. Very decayed and stripped this one but never the less still a nice spot for a look around. There was some lovely tiles still in place in parts of the hospital which I liked. I do like a bit of old tile work  There was a lot of kids toys dotted about also which seemed strange and  out of place. We almost bumped into a couple of people who turned up while we where there but, they must have heard us inside and ran off. Maybe they had mistaken our low talking for the rustle of feathers A nice relaxed explore this, for us anyway, on a nice sunny afternoon. Visited with non member Paul.

Thanks for Looking

More pics on my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157694792372572/with/41878484015/