Paulpowers

UK Cathedral Arches. Manchester - Nov 2015

Access into the arches is always a bit sketchy and this time was no different, once inside there's no real chance of being disturbed (other than from pigeons.)

The arches as a location is pretty big but 99% of the population of Manchester are unaware of what lies just below their feet.

The Victoria Arches area series of bricked-up arches built in an embankment of the River Irwell in Manchester. They served as business premises, landing stages for steam packet riverboats and as Second World War air-raid shelters. They were accessed from wooden staircases that descended from Victoria Street.

Regular flooding resulted in the closure of the steam-packet services in the early 20th century, and the arches were later used for general storage. Following the outbreak of the Second World War they were converted into air raid shelters. They are now bricked up and inaccessible, the staircases having been removed in the latter part of the 20th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Arches

23299998782_ab88b3f450_c.jpg

22781301883_6614f51f41_c.jpg

23382303006_bf86147587_c.jpg

23040493419_cca29a0f18.jpg.22781292383_961412d324.jpg

23325909351_4526d20239_c.jpg

22780216884_17cb2b5e71_c.jpg

23382403196_8531d8a6b2_c.jpg

22781289463_2db54fb79c_c.jpg

Glad i know you have a sence of humour m8ty. Both vids are good just one got the better tunes lol ......... :band: . On another note do like the history popping up on this damn cool....

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Jake Alan Crag
      Hey everyone, so I'm pretty sure everyone's heard of this place so i dont really need to explain much about it, but if you haven't, below is a brief history of Denbigh Mental Asylum.

Grade 2 Listed building.
      Built work started in 1844
      Building work completed in 1848

Built to house up to 200 patients with psychiatric illnesses. In the early 1900's it housed 1537 patients (Approx).
      The hospital had its own farm and gas works.
      Planned for closure by Enoch Powellin the 1960's, however it only began closing in sections between 1991-1995.

Nurses Quarters:

This is genuinely one of the best condition buildings that i have ever explored.

Most of the lower floor windows were covered in either ivy or thick vines, so it got quite dark in some sections of the building.

Now for the hospital itself, my personal favorite photos:

Thanks for reading,
      Make sure to check out my youtube channel Jake Alan Craig for the video and my instagram @exploring_with_jake for regular abandoned photos.

#WereJustTrespassing

• By jane doe
      Snowdown was the deepest colliery in Kent reaching well over 3,000 ft (915 metres). It was also the hottest and most humid pit in Kent and was given the name 'Dante's Inferno' by the miners. Regarded by many as the worst pit to work at in Britain, most Snowdown miners worked naked because clothes became too uncomfortable. The miners could consume around 24 pints (14 lires) of water in an 8-hour shift. There were frequent cases of heat stroke.

Snowdown closed in 1987

• By jane doe
      Established in 1926, G.L. Murphy was a family run business and supplied bespoke machinery to the tanning industry, as well as building rag cutting and cable stripping machinery.  The company also provide refurbishment and renovation works for various machinery types. 

• By crabb
      Built in 1871 but had been refurbished at some point.
       Now, I don't do heights.. So I was chuffed to see my mate practically run towards it in excitement and go first. It was pretty high and the grated floor was not ideal if you wanted to avoid looking down. 
      The tower probably stands around 40-50 ft but exact measurements are unknown at this point.
      Apart from the odd clanging of metal under our footsteps and how wobbly it was, it was a good first climb like this for me!
      Got some snaps as usual, enjoy! 

• By jane doe
      A little gem of a place ...went here when  it was guarded by a very irrate bull lol