MrT

Clipstone colliery, Clipstone, December 2015

A personal favourite of myn. Had two visits here, one with no camera and another quick visit, due to pikeys being in here stripping it and one following me around, i valued my camera gear and my life so i left with only a handful of snapshots. Now well secured, with intercom warning if you get within a few metres of the perimeter.

Clipstone Colliery was a coal mine situated near the village of the same name on the edge of an area of Nottinghamshire known as “The Dukeries†because of the number of stately homes in the area. The colliery was owned by the Bolsover Colliery Company and passed to the National Coal Board in 1947. The headstocks and powerhouse are grade II listed buildings.

The colliery was sunk to exploit the Barnsley seam or “Tophardâ€, as it known locally. In the 1950s the shafts were deepened to over 1000 yards (920 m) to exploit other seams.

The colliery was closed by British Coal, as the National Coal Board had become, in 1993 and reopened by RJB Mining (now UK Coal) in April 1994, the licence to dig for coal being limited to the Yard seam which is located at a depth of 957 yards (870 m). The colliery was finally closed in April 2003.

23216990650_7cf6c83385_z.jpg

23216989650_1fd11730e2_z.jpg

22885609803_25cf61d6d1_z.jpg

23216993270_39594b185c_z.jpg

23144770439_53ca67b50a_z.jpg

22885605703_d5438731e1_z.jpg

22885611163_e62025aa2c_z.jpg

Thanks for looking guys and gals :)

Nice to see this crop up again. I visited here a long time ago, and seems not a lot has changed really. Was the first (and only) headstock I've climbed.

Did you manage to get up the headstock?

Nice to see this crop up again. I visited here a long time ago, and seems not a lot has changed really. Was the first (and only) headstock I've climbed.

Did you manage to get up the headstock?

This was a while back now, got a bit of the way up the headstocks, not to top. Must pop back v soon and take a look what's happening here.

The last thing I can remember seeing from here was them topping the palisade fencing with an electric fence and installing cameras, motion detectors and alarms along it's length as well. I guess they don't want anyone falling off...

The last thing I can remember seeing from here was them topping the palisade fencing with an electric fence and installing cameras, motion detectors and alarms along it's length as well. I guess they don't want anyone falling off...

Went back for a 3rd visit ages ago, see all the new security, laughed and haven't been back since. The headstocks and part of the building is grade 2 I believe, must get back and take a look to see what's going on here nowadays.

Looks sweet inside there but sod getting robbed by pikeys. When was your last visit mate? The title date should reflect when you visited if possible.... Cheers :thumb

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2015‎ ‎10‎:‎27‎:‎37‎, The_Raw said:

Looks sweet inside there but sod getting robbed by pikeys. When was your last visit mate? The title date should reflect when you visited if possible.... Cheers :thumb

Sorry dude, ill know for future posts. Ill have to check exif, be a few years ago.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By farmer.ned
      an early finish today prompted a visit to the former colliery site at manton and the sidings at manton wood
      after parking the car  in manton pit wood park trying to look like an afternoon stroller and not an urban explorer  a circuitous walk through manton pit wood was required to reach my goal and avoid the security cameras in the car park.
      after much huffing and puffing uphill through the trees i gained the main path about half wayup the pit tip another path led me around the side and down to the old trackbed when i discovered a flatter way and the tree cover was enough to hide what i was up to.
      climbing down the bank with a few choice oaths  i gained  the old trackbed of the former manton colliery. 

opened in 1898 manton was a 3 shaft colliery  fully operational in 1907 in 1947 it was part of south yorkshire area not nottinghamshire 
      closing in febuary 1994 manton was the 29th pit to close and the 8th pit in bassetlaw . 
      the majority of mantons coal went to the CEGB power station at cottham  but after the privatisation of  of the electricity industry  in 1990 and the dash for gas led to the pits demise.
      today the site is now owned by diy giant B&Q  some bits of track still exsist as far as the other side of the retford road bridge 
      the bridge itself is now fenced off as a dangerous structure and will possibly be removed at some point for scrap severing forever the former track into manton colliery i dont think that B&Q are really intrested in products being shipped in or out by train as the bridge over retford road would possibly have to be replaced ruling out trains ever running again at this location on cost grounds. 
      the sidings at manton wood are still extant but see little use apart from  the monday to saturday 17.35 east midlands trains service from nottingham which stables then runs round here to allow the northern rail sheffield to lincoln and lincoln to sheffield services to pass and use the platforms at worksop.

58029 prepares to leave manton colliery with a coal train to cottham power station the cripple wagon on the left awaits attention

the same scene today looking towards manton colliery sees only bright orange B&Q trailers parked up awaiting loading for another journey

sleepers and ballast litter the former trackbed near manton colliery

two views of the former railway bridge that used  to connect manton colliery to the main line along with its bridge board 
      i doubt the safety of trains would be affected seeing as a train hasnt crossed this bridge for 24 years

a security fence and padlocked gate declare retford road bridge an unsafe structure

the rails end at a mound of ballast behind the camera

the single to double track points still in place

having done the batman routine (above) and ducked around the security fencing a small section being available here is the bridge decking with the track still in place not having seen a train for 24 years

the bridge from the other side batman time again !!!

the bridge from the main line end shows the track still connected

but covered by a mound of ballast

a rusty rail in the undergrowth

beyond the trees a rusty rail in the  grass continues towards the main line

with another ballast pile just short of the main line

continuing  beyond the ballast the rail has either sank or collapsed at this point

dolly signal wp270 protects the main line from phantom coal trains

A  2 ..2car set passes manton wood signal box heading for sheffield possibly from cleethorpes via gainsborough the colliery access tracks in the foreground of the hut and the rear of the DMU.

now overgrown and unused looking towards retford

apart from the  monday to saturday east midland trains 17.35 from nottingham which stables here then runs round to allow 2 northern services to pass...looking towards worksop

and the occasional network rail train the signal box was where the boxes are now on the bankside the former manton colliery line turns right here the sheffield to lincoln main line is on the left

and finally the network rail access board
    • By Britain's Decays
      We visited St John's Hospital in Lincolnshire on Sunday, here is our video. Although we were told the security at the hospital was extremely tight we didn't actually come across any security at all! They must have been having a day off lol.
    • By RiF
      Visited with RJ & Shadow
      History can be found http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/sites/d/draycott_cross_colliery/index2.shtml
      Looking deep into the tunnel, about half way down

Compresser/pump of some sort...?

16 & 18 tubs, narrow gauge track in deep mud

28 tubs

No road + 2 drill bits

Looking up a small side air shaft

Sand pilled to the roof and an earth mover

Looking back towards the sand mound. metal hoops, many of which are now badly distorted.

Pulley on the cable haulage system

blocked adit

Behind blocked off adits

Looking down to the flooded adit

Some of my other photo's can be viewed http://s68.beta.photobucket.com/user/Zoot337/library/Urbex/Dray
      Thanks for looking
    • By Banshee =}
      This is my first ever report so please bare with me
      Payed a visit to this beauty last Sunday ... after an hour of scawering the fence ... we were in
      Now for a bit history on the joint
      Colliery known as “The Dukeries� because of the number of stately homes in the area. The colliery was owned by the Bolsover Colliery Company and passed to the National Coal Board in 1947.
      The colliery was sunk to exploit the Barnsley seam or “Tophard�, as it known locally. In the 1950s the shafts were deepened to over 1000 yards (920 m) to exploit other seams.
      The colliery was closed by British Coal, as the National Coal Board had become, in 1993 and reopened by RJB Mining (now UK Coal) in April 1994, the licence to dig for coal being limited to the Yard seam which is located at a depth of 957 yards (870 m). The colliery was finally closed in April 2003.
      The headstocks of the colliery are regarded as the tallest in Europe and the third tallest in the world. They are Grade 2 Listed structures and can be seen all over the district. They are expensive to keep in good repair and there have been a number of appeals, as yet to no avail, to demolish them. But however the headstocks are nearly demolished now and no one knows what will happen in the future.
      Now the good bits ... hope you like

• By silverainbow
      Have driven past here on many occasions but have always seen security lurking around so when I got a call from Space Invader saying he was gonna go take a look I though yeah why not, Lets go join Him, Explored With Space Invader, Obscurity and Storm
      A bit of History about the place ;
      Snowdown was the initiative of Arthur Burr's Foncage Syndicate in 1907, but it had early sinking problems, with 22 miners drowning when the first shaft was sunk. Snowdown was the deepest pit in Kent, reaching a depth of 3,083 feet (940 m). The colliery was served by the Faversham to Dover railway, and a halt(Snowdown and Nonington) was provided. In 1945 the workforce was 1,876, with 1,523 being employed sub-surface and 353 above. The colliery closed in 1986 and the shafts were capped in 1988
      And my Pics,

And a few of the Admin Building

Was a good "mini explore" and luckily no security in sight any where