Vulex

UK Moel Fferna Dec 15

Thanks to @Kwan for being a total pro and getting us all in and out in one piece.

This trip was harder than it should of been thanks to weather and fallen trees, but it was still a great trip. So @Le kwan @Lavino @Lenston a none member, another guy who I can remember his name (sorry pal!) and myself ventured down that air vent into the mine. It was my first mine and I have to say I loved it. Getting out was a lot harder than getting in and it wasnt made easier by the rain. We also dressed as Santa which got a few honks from drivers passing by.

Due to time restraints and a flooded passage we didnt get to see the "Bridge of Death," but theres always next time.
This report isnt very picture heavy either, my 10 year old camera struggled to take photos in the dark, so it was a point and click and hope I got something.

History
This quarry lies at the end of the valley Moel Fferna. The mine opened in the 1870s and was worked almost entirely underground and eventually working on seven levels. Its developed a reputation for good slab and efficient working. Until a mill was built in 1911 slab was taken to the Nant y Pandy mill. The mill that was constructed used a gas engine to power sand saws. In 1923 an oil engined electric generator enabled the mill to used diamond saws. The mine closed in 1960.

22933418894_36f31a71a6_c.jpg

23479194971_bc2eff5d01_c.jpg

23561632105_06649cb0f9_c.jpg

23479167771_5c85d48407_c.jpg

23561607125_e8d8c8c02f_c.jpg

23561593275_6b69ccc72b_c.jpg

23453036682_0c4cb2bf94_c.jpg

23535480366_7f2837487c_c.jpg

23535467776_0115384fa5_c.jpg

Edited by Vulex

Thanks for Organising it @Lenston! It was nice to meet you, first of a few I hope :)

Love the rigging on the rope there. Looks like an interesting place, I'm guessing it's nicely preserved because of the difficulty in accessing it.

Looks a mad one mate. Harder to get in than the bunker :-o Good to see you getting some underground stuff done bud. Thanks for the share :thumb

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By crabb
      Built in 1871 but had been refurbished at some point.
       Now, I don't do heights.. So I was chuffed to see my mate practically run towards it in excitement and go first. It was pretty high and the grated floor was not ideal if you wanted to avoid looking down. 
      The tower probably stands around 40-50 ft but exact measurements are unknown at this point.
      Apart from the odd clanging of metal under our footsteps and how wobbly it was, it was a good first climb like this for me!
      Got some snaps as usual, enjoy! 

• By jane doe
      A little gem of a place ...went here when  it was guarded by a very irrate bull lol  

• By crabb
      Hi all. We have invested in a new camera and went out during the night to see how well it can handle the low light images. The result was actually rather impressive! So please enjoy the snaps we managed to get.
      It isn't a new area, but it is a good place to get some shots. Feel free to let us know which pic you guys like!

Keep in touch to see some new places real soon. Cheers,
      C

• By crabb
      Falcon house. It's been in Swindon since the early days of this towns birth and has been sat empty and abandoned for 16 years.  
      It was said to be the very first headquarters for the well known company zurich, an insurance company, but was promptly moved to a more practical and efficient property.
      The old office block is situated in Swindon town centre on top of a car park right near the entrance to town, which is an eye sore to some but a worthy explore for us. 
      There was nothing much left, only old phones and some really old school computer stuff. 
      It was the view at the end of the video that made it all worth it, being the second highest point in the town aside from the john murray building.  What a view! 
      So please enjoy this video by my good friend and make sure to check out the channel! Have fun out there,
      C

• By jane doe
      Snowdown was the deepest colliery in Kent reaching well over 3,000 ft (915 metres). It was also the hottest and most humid pit in Kent and was given the name 'Dante's Inferno' by the miners. Regarded by many as the worst pit to work at in Britain, most Snowdown miners worked naked because clothes became too uncomfortable. The miners could consume around 24 pints (14 lires) of water in an 8-hour shift. There were frequent cases of heat stroke.

Snowdown closed in 1987