free hit counter
Great Britain - Bank Bottom Culvert - Marsden - September 2015 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Great Britain Bank Bottom Culvert - Marsden - September 2015

TLR

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Bank Bottom Culvert - Marsden

1_zpsakswxdp4.jpg

It's been a few frustrating days visiting many places, but failing for many reasons. Time to rethink the long drives and concentrate on some of my local venues I though. Like most I have a list, some places just to check to see if there is access, unfinished business at other venues and the odd place you keep on meaning to have a look at, but never do.

This place fell into the latter two categories; while looking at an old bugbear of mine I wandered past this culvert again. I remember seeing a report once and had thought about having a look myself, but got side tracked and it soon slipped down my list.

Roll on a few years, and after one fail under my belt today I decided to have a look at this as it was in the area. You can never tell what you'll find when you venture into a culvert, from stoopy crawls to huge passages, some just a concrete pipe, others fantastic brick or stone work. The depth of water is also unknown so I try and start at the downstream end as if I can get up something I should be able to get back down.

2_zpskuzilpca.jpg

First impressions were good, just over 2 meters high and I see light about 120 meters away where there was a small open section as it passed under a road. The further you went in the more open it became, the roof was made up of the floor of the buildings above.

3_zps0i5gtzmq.jpg

Looking back towards the downstream entrance, so far so good.

4_zps0xdrwhns.jpg

This is a 5 meter section which was open, the stream passes under a road at this point before being culverted for another 400 meters. Nice to have a bit of natural light to play with.

5_zpskbpavjf4.jpg

6_zpsabpoit9b.jpg

Time to continue upstream, the culvert remained about 3 meters high and 6 to 7 meters wide, plenty of additional strengthening pillars and beams were in place.

7_zpsn8mdqy9j.jpg

Picking your way up the stream was entertaining, sometimes the line to follow was obvious, but given the lovely tea coloured water once in the stream you couldn't be sure of the depth.

8_zpsfdb1tf9k.jpg

Large pools could be bypassed in the main, but the odd retreat to pick a better line sometimes made sense, up to now my feet had stayed dry and apart from the odd slip and slide things were looking good.

9_zpslc3xvq7v.jpg

10_zpswv6nunqq.jpg

The next major feature was a light well which opened the roof again giving some natural light.

11_zpso7rsy1lc.jpg

This also had a nice small waterfall and greenery.

12_zps7plyyeaw.jpg

Back into the culvert again and probably my favourite section, lots going on in here.

13_zpslabe1sj8.jpg

What I liked all the way along was the various pipes and troughs hung from the roof.

14_zpsuyg4gbeb.jpg

15_zpsuph85b2o.jpg

16_zpsn274vlq4.jpg

It was about here I had my first welly boot breach, shortly followed by a second one where I launched my camera and tripod onto dry land thinking I was getting a dunking!

17_zpsf5tsyrtx.jpg

Worth the wet feet for this part of the culvert.

18_zpsrzkay2to.jpg

This place just kept getting better, one of those places you smile at the start and finish with a huge grin.

19_zpsbgujsjwc.jpg

Every few meters there was something of interest, a small feature or nice section of stream.

20_zpsclosnhmx.jpg

Things were going that well I thought I'd go for a selfie, at least the camera didn't get a dunking!

21_zpshdbbz482.jpg

That was the first dunking in many a year, at least the water was warmish. The culvert just kept on being stunning, better still I wasn't too bothered about getting wet now.

22_zpse7hzfgvv.jpg

All too quickly the light appeared again, that was the end of this trip. Just a small plastic pig was to be seen hiding from our PM, I wonder how many pigs will be found in dark places from now on?

Looking back down the 500 meters of fantastic culvert.

24_zpscfloyefq.jpg

Well that's it. Lesson learnt is not to overlook stuff on your doorstep, this was one of the most enjoyable culverts I've done, surprised it hasn't ever had more traffic.

A cracking day out, making the most of a fail.

Cheers,

TLR.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lenston

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Looks great this, as you say you never know whats on your doorstep sometimes, actually reminded me of something i need to put more effort into. Cheers for posting. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Hydro

OS Full member
Reaction score
Looks a nice mooch that one mate - Thanks for posting

Ill have to have a look in my local area for some slimey culverts (y)

TLR

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Cheers all, wouldn't like to be in this culvert today though.