Contact the team

Harperbury Hospital 04/2017

Angels05Astra

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
This was our First ever Explore

Lets start with some history.......

Kingsley Green is a mental health and learning Disability site located in Hertfordshire England just southeast of the village of London Colney. It was known as Harperbury Hospital for 61 years and has been a fixture of the areas Mental Health scene since 1982. It had two sister institutions Shenley Hospital & Napsbury Hospital.

In 1924 the County Council purchased Porters Park Estate, Totaling 420 aces. The area was to become the site of both Harperbury & Shenley Hospitals.

October 1982 the hangers certified Institution was launched. The new mental hospital was named for the remaining areodrome hangers on site.

The first patients were eight males who were put to the task of cleaning out the hangers, which were converted into wards for use by other patients. Soon eighty-six malepatents lived and worked on site. 

In 1929 construction of new buildings for both Harperbury & Shenley site began. The new buildings of the Hangers Institution were arranged along three loop roads. The administaration building was at the front, just off Harper Lane.

The first of the new buildings opended in February 1931 and by December 1931 the institution housed 342 male patients. The complex was completed in 1936 in accommodated male, female and pediatric patients.

It was said at times 700 persons were employed at a time in the construction of the hospital.

The institition was renamed Middlesex Colney in May 1936. 

Middlesex Colney as intended to be as self-sufficent as possible, with the desire that patients capable of working would work at various tasks.

Male patients provided labour for the farming ventures of the institutions. Fruits, vegetables were raised and cattle, pigs and chickens were raised also. Milk was sold to Shenly hospital. Men worked i the works shops to provide needed goods for the hospitals such as clothes, shoes, brushes and upholstery. The also performed carpentry.

Female patients worked in the laundry and kitchens and helped keep the wards clean.

Even pediatric paients were given duties. Also a school was biult for the children.

When World War 2 erupted, Middlesex Colney had 1,194 paients. The hospital operated as before other than nightlight was extinguished or blacked out to prevent it becoming a target for German bombing raids.

During the 1950s Harperbury had 1,464 beds.

By late 2001 Harperbury had only about 200 paients and Haperbuy was Officailly Closed.

Thats some history on the place.

As for this it was our First ever urban explore and i have to say still one of my favriotes. We had herd and been told loads of rumors about the place but that did not stop us. We knew they had security on site and scouted it when we got there and kept a close eye on there hut as we moved about the site with only one flashlight on us (a learning cure i guess) it was not the brightest light thats for sure. I used my phone for light in the end and took a few pictures.My other half was videoing the whole thing which was good fun. so this set us up for more urban exploring so we now have the urbex bug. these are not the greatest pics i was using my phone to do them at the time. we do plan on going back to Harperbury for a 3rd visit still much to see there.

Not sure where all my photos have gone but this is a few of them.  Enjoy.

34573372185_40089fd4bb_b.jpg

33763299073_dbd7ca9ee8_b.jpg

34411578082_f7a3ee2752_b.jpg
34411566022_899efdbf91_b.jpg

34573395355_37cda50f30_b.jpg

34443077021_4a62c997cc_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, this side of the site has seen better days for sure.

Well done on getting out and about wil be good to see more from you (y)