Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Huncoat Power Station, July 2014

DugieUK

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I know this one has been done many times so i hope you see something new from the photos.

Brief History of Huncoat Power Station

Huncoat power station (also known as Padiham ‘B’) was built by the Lancashire Electric Power Company in the 1950’s as a sister for the power station at Padiham (Padiham ‘A’). Situated on the Burnley coalfield meant that the power station had a ready supply of local coal, and until 1968 was served by a half mile railway line to Huncoat Colliery.

The Power Station had a fairly short life, closure coming in 1984. The cooling towers were brought down in 1988 and the main buildings were demolished in 1990, apart from this one building.

The derelict building also made the news, here is a quote from the article.

'URBAN explorers armed with spray paint cans have transformed the former Huncoat Power Station into a graffiti paradise. Some of their work has been described by experts as ‘strong’ and ‘creative’, reclaiming a derelict building for art and the community.'

My Visit

On the weekend of the visit my partner was away so my daughter was left to look after me, so, she chose a nice safe explore for us :) .....

Ok ok i will start again...

As this site is very safe compared to most places we have been, myself and my friend decided it would be safe to take the kids with us. I am glad we did as they really enjoyed themselves looking around at all the graffiti.

Even though the site is small we still managed to spend 3 hours here. So many opportunities for pictures with all the amazing colours left on show by the graffiti artists.

I was rather surprised how much I enjoyed the time we spent here even with the lack of features.

Finally I would like to say thanks to the person who recommended this site to me as a safe explore when you have children. Thanks mate, you know who you are :)

Ok time for some pics....

Outside the Power Station

14578913779_219b6b7af6_c.jpg

Group Photo Inside

14763120574_f8e8420ea7_c.jpg

Main Room on the ground floor

14578833990_01de2707cf_c.jpg

Some of the amazing Graffiti

14578866750_2032f973cc_c.jpg

14785488543_e86fd8b86c_c.jpg

14785500723_7f0b2f6fd6_c.jpg

A few shots taken during the day for Giggles

No fluids were released in creating this photo!

14762180951_40d21fc2c3_c.jpg

We found an empty spray can on the floor and decided why not!

14785274733_0225c26207_c.jpg

The four kids having fun!

14757682161_440f4585f9_c.jpg

I will now finish up with my favourite shot of the day. My daughter loved this graffiti and asked for a photo in front of it.

14764963232_ebc99972ff_c.jpg

More Images Available on Flickr

The images above are just a small selection of the images I have edited. I will be adding lots more photos of Huncoat Power Station on my Flickr page which can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/119757413@N07/sets/72157645956324051/

Final thoughts

Although a small site I enjoyed every minute we spent here. We did see a couple more explorers on the day as well, one talked to us for a short time and the other two that appeared a little later on disappeared into thin air!

So, overall a great day with the kids who loved it just as much as the big kids!

Thanks for reading,

Dugie

Lara

OS Member
Reaction score
Brilliant shots! Glad the future explorers had fun, thanks for sharing :)

:comp

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Nice one Dugie, not everyone's into graffiti but I for one am a huge fan when it's done right and this looks like it's had some of the better known artists in attendance. Cool shots and good to see the kids had fun too (all 4 of you ) (y)

DugieUK

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Brilliant shots! Glad the future explorers had fun, thanks for sharing :) :comp
Thanks Lara, they loved it as much as we did :)

Nice one Dugie, not everyone's into graffiti but I for one am a huge fan when it's done right and this looks like it's had some of the better known artists in attendance. Cool shots and good to see the kids had fun too (all 4 of you ) (y)
I agree Raw, if the graffiti is done well then it is nice to look at and photograph. Unfortunately there is to much of the other stuff we don't like in most places which is done just because they can. Some of the stuff on show was brilliant, I may have to go back in a few months and see if any new stuff has been created.

Dugie

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Thats quality and great to see the kids involved as can be so much fun for them too and shows we are far from stuffy old farts lol

Bring on the next generation I say and wish my perants had been a bit more that way inclined my dad just put me to work on the building sites at the age of 12 the twat lol (y)

Last edited by a moderator:

DugieUK

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Thats quality and great to see the kids involved as can be so much fun for them too and shows we are far from stuffy old farts lolBring on the next generation I say and wish my perants had been a bit more that way inclined my dad just put me to work on the building sites at the age of 12 the twat lol (y)
Cheers mate it was good to be able to get my daughter involved with this one. I hope i can find more safe explores so she come along some more with me.

I know what you mean with your dad, i will never forget asking my dad for 50p and he said tomorrow... He woke me up at 03:30 in the morning and took me to work down the local fish docks! I was 13.... Still it taught me the value of money :)

Dugie

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Agreed as values and appreciation are important :D

Slika_street_art

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
This is amazing quite a big fan of 'good street art' and not graffiti tagging. Only 14 so explorings easily done for me with lower consequences if i get cought than for you lot. :) Anyone in the gloucester stroud area that can show me some cool places please mail me. i know of the dudbridge ones near mine thanks great pics btw