free hit counter
Great Britain - Huyck Ltd, Whitstable - August 2009 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Great Britain Huyck Ltd, Whitstable - August 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Big thanks to Muffie for the info on this one.

Visited with Muffie, Frostie and Fortknox.

Huyck Ltd were involved in the manufacture of equipment used in the paper making and textile production industries. Trawling through the interweb I can't find out a lot about this specific site, other than it closed sometime in 2005 and has been empty ever since and also a planning application is in progress for the building of 250 homes on the site.

It's a pretty substantial size, but as with most factories of its type once all the equipment's gone, which of course it has, all you're really left with is a massive empty warehouse.

It was still interesting none the less and there were a few interesting bits and pieces left in the offices.

Oh, and the power's still on :D

Yes there are lights on. Security or just a deterrent?

Image-22.jpg

Image-23.jpg

Manufacturing floor now being used as a drag strip by a white van and peugeot 106 both of which have seen better days. Sadly the keys were missing or I'd have had a go myself. :D

Image-01_2.jpg

Frostie admires said van.

Image-03_2.jpg

Image-08_2.jpg

Image-02_2.jpg

Off the manufacturing floor there were quite a lot of bits and pieces left.

Image-04_2.jpg

Including some kids toys for some bizarre reason

Image-07_2.jpg

Image-09_2.jpg

Boiler room is pretty impressive

Image-05_2.jpg

Image-06_2.jpg

Canteen

Image-10_1.jpg

Image-11_1.jpg

Reception right by a glass door easily overlooked from the road. I was convinced we were going to get spotted here.

Image-13_1.jpg

Loads of odd bits and pieces in the offices, including this really old Panasonic camcorder

Image-12_1.jpg

And the accounts for the whole site going back decades. Earlier stuff is on paper, but there's loads of it on microfilm. How often do you see a safe open with its contents still inside?

Image-14.jpg

Image-15.jpg

Another Safe

Image-18.jpg

As I said, the power was still on in some parts of the building.

Image-19.jpg

Staffroom, looks like it's been used more recently as a den for local kids.

Image-20.jpg

Product Brochures

Image-17.jpg

Someone with a sense of humour

Image-16.jpg

Awesome light fitting above the stairwell.

Image-21.jpg

Like I say not a load to see, but it's amazingly un-touched really considering it's been empty for 4-5 years now.

Thanks for looking!

Maniac.

Last edited by a moderator:

Obscurity

OS Member
Reaction score
nice post, i think i remember muffie and forsty mentioning this one to me! good pics (y)

Mitch

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Looks like an alright explore . Good going people :D

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
I think he may have been bullshitting, it's very unlikely one individual would own that site - it's owned by a development company as far as I know, so unless his dad happens to own that company, which again is unlikely, then he was using a liberal amount of bullshit. ;)

Obscurity

OS Member
Reaction score
they got away with it even though the police had turned up and supposedly had permission to be there! i dont of rone minute believe this but its just another example of the fine police work in kent! i would advise that no-one goes here and if they do then arm themselves with a gun lol :lol: but joking aside. They were defo up for a fight and we are slightly out numbered and the fact they were tooled up didnt help matters. Luckily for us there was another group that happened to be going for a look round at the same time as us so we had a couple more people behind us and the pikeys backed off! i would seriously listen to muffies warning and not enter the building because if there had been one or two of us then i dont think we would have got out of there in one piece!

fortknox0

OS Member
Reaction score
LOL, that was a funy night, shame it all went abit wrong! the night after would of bin well good, LOL :cool2: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.