free hit counter
Moseley Road Swimming Baths, Birmingham - Feb '15 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Moseley Road Swimming Baths, Birmingham - Feb '15

Punk

OS Member
Reaction score
Explored with The Wombat and 8 non-members

History

4836856989_c771e48bd4_m.jpg

Moseley Road Baths were used as a makeshift hospital in the early years of World War II. An additional entrance was created to facilitate this purpose, which was subsequently used as an emergency exit from Pool 2. By the end of 2010 a steel beam used to support the wall and roof above it had become severely corroded, leading to the pool's closure as this part of the building was in danger of collapse.

The baths, also run by Birmingham City Council, reopened following extensive structural work during 2005. They stand opposite the College of Art and were given Grade II listed status as a single entity in 1982, upgraded to Grade II* listed status in 2004 by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

In November 2006 a 'Friends of Moseley Road Baths' group was formed to campaign for the long-term future of the building as a fully functioning swimming facility. Since their formation various community events and fundraisers have been held, including the Centenary celebration on 30 October 2007 which was attended by the Lord Mayor of Birmingham and swimmers past and present. In 2010 the Friends' were awarded a Heritage Lottery Fund 'Your Heritage' grant of £48,000 to document the building's history and to interview former and current users of the building. Some aspects of the project are now online.

image_update_img.jpg

Protest against the closure of the baths in 2014

The building reopened in April 2012 after 16 months of structural work on the Fire Exit of Pool 2, asbestos removal from the basement and extensive cleaning and painting. Pool 2 is currently open for swimming but Pool 1 (also known as the Gala Pool) has been mothballed since September 2003. The Second Class slipper baths were in continual use until October 2004, but have since closed.

Birmingham City Council are submitting a bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund in 2012 for £5 million towards essential repairs to the roof and to the Gala Pool. The Council will provide £3 million match funding. This work is 'Phase 1' and will make the building structurally sound. It is hoped that a 'Phase 2' could bring other parts of the building back into public use. As part of the bid, Birmingham Conservation Trust have been commissioned to conduct an extensive consultation exercise with the public. This includes generating ideas for community outreach work which will celebrate the heritage of the building.

Explore

This was our 11th site of the day, also our first success. We arrived to find the baths partially open, but knew one of the pools was closed. We brazenly went in twos and threes, as ten people walking into a swimming baths with camera may have looked a little dodgy. It was worth the risk, absolutely beautiful piece of architecture.

(1)

DSC_0349.jpg

(2)

DSC_0350.jpg

(3)

DSC_0351.jpg

(4)

DSC_0352.jpg

(5)

DSC_0353.jpg

(6)

DSC_0354.jpg

(7)

DSC_0355.jpg

(8)

DSC_0356.jpg

(9)

DSC_0357.jpg

(10)

DSC_0360.jpg

(11)

8OM-u5fAjUHdn5Vwk6cEstQu8A-5AlH_a3NZk=w837-h561-no.jpg

(12)

DSC_0363.jpg

Shame about the scaffolding

Cheers for Looking(y)

TLR

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Looks a lovely stroll, except if you're last one in and get busted (y)

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
Nice place this and good to see it back on the map after a short while. Great pics mate (y)

:comp

Punk

OS Member
Reaction score
Didn't wanna mention your 'mishap' lol

What a day (y) I genuinely had a lump in my throat from laughing so much

Nice place this and good to see it back on the map after a short while. Great pics mate (y) :comp
It is a real beauty ain't it. Glad I had the oppotunity

Hydro

OS Full member
Reaction score
Tell us more (y) Bloody impressive this, Ive seen a few reports on it and have always had a bit of a wish to see it. One day ill get off my arse and take a mooch down! cheers for sharing :ugeek:

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
It's a great example of a Victorian baths, I hope it gets reopened. You've captured it well there. :)

TLR

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Tell us more (y)
While the groups of 2 or 3 went in I had a look at the church opposit and got myself a safety brew. Went in last on my own only to be greeted after about a minute by a woman with 2 photographers wondering what I was doing in there! Turns out the only reason this part of the baths was open is for the 2 guys who traveled up from London to take some photos on a permission visit, After a long talk and reasuring the guide I was only there taking photos myself I left only to get busted again by the swimming pool staff wondering what I was doing wandering around with a camera, read me the riot act about taking photos in a public swimming pool, manage to convince them I was part of the guided party and left. About 30 minutes in there and left with only 2 photos :lol:

Punk

OS Member
Reaction score
While the groups of 2 or 3 went in I had a look at the church opposit and got myself a safety brew. Went in last on my own only to be greeted after about a minute by a woman with 2 photographers wondering what I was doing in there! Turns out the only reason this part of the baths was open is for the 2 guys who traveled up from London to take some photos on a permission visit, After a long talk and reasuring the guide I was only there taking photos myself I left only to get busted again by the swimming pool staff wondering what I was doing wandering around with a camera, read me the riot act about taking photos in a public swimming pool, manage to convince them I was part of the guided party and left. About 30 minutes in there and left with only 2 photos :lol:
And the whole time you were in there, we assumed you were taking naked shots of yourself lol

WildBoyz

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Love the architecture in places like this. They don't build make them like this anymore, that's for sure. Really nicely captured mate.

Hydro

OS Full member
Reaction score
Haha!! cracking story - could have been very very awkward, in fact i bet it was bloody awkward (y)

This has really made my day, cheers for sharing :ugeek:

jones-y-gog

Staff member
Reaction score
Had a look in there the other day, immediately greeted by a stern looking lady. She let us have a look through a door with a chain and big padlock. Its an amazing building, great to see but a shame the council are going to shut it down despite the objections of hundreds of local people.

Interesting little bit of info from her - its built on a natural spring where the water is drawn up. There is a big 1st class pool (disused) and a smaller 2nd class one (still used). Back in the day the water used to fill up the 1st class pool and after the posh nobs used it then the same water would be drained off and would fill up the 2nd class pool for the plebs!!!

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
I do like these insight write up as give more depth and good to see :D

Horses for courses I guess as always.

Cheers for the share (y)