free hit counter
USA - Abandoned Carbon Black Plant - March 2017 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

USA Abandoned Carbon Black Plant - March 2017

MakeshiftMickey

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I explored this place a few years back based on a lead with very little information about what this place used to be or its current condition. Luckily the place was still standing, and there was a surprising amount of things left behind. I also learned a lot about what carbon black is and how it's a surprisingly common material used in everything from inks to tires. Unfortunately I was pressed for time on this explore and didn't get as many decent pictures as I would've liked (most of my time was focused on filming). Nevertheless, here are some of the highlights from what I did manage to capture on this trip. For those interested, I will also link my video at the end of this report if you would like to see more from this location.

I couldn't find too much information regarding the history of this plant. I think it closed 50-some years ago.

This set of buildings was perhaps the best eye candy at this location. While I don't know much about the specifics of the carbon black manufacturing process, I can say that this shot does not do justice to the massive scale of these buildings. These buildings loomed in the background throughout the entire explore.
1.3.png

The explore truly began in this small building filled with tumbleweed.
3.2.jpg

In the backroom of the previous shot, I found an assortment of equipment left behind, setting the tone for the rest of the exploration. While this is the only still that turned out alright, there was also a workbench and some other machinery in this room.
2.png

The next building I explored had a large amount of stuff left behind. Judging by the loading bay in this shot, it was probably used as some sort of shipping/receiving for the plant. The parked train in the background made for a cool shot, but it was not part of the abandonment.
source3.png

This fridge seemed rather out of place, but maybe part of this building was once used as a breakroom for the workers.
2.1.png

The next highlight features some more massive, rusty machinery. All of the large, metal buildings here made quite a lot of noise as they fought against the constant 30 MPH winds.
4.jpg

A closer shot of that same structure, but don't let the seemingly warm sky fool you. The gusts of wind on this day were reaching 60 MPH, making for a pretty cold visit. Although, I suppose that's to be expected in the plains.
3.3.jpg

The opposite side of this same structure.
source1.png

Well that sums up my shots from this place, at least the ones that turned out alright. If you would like to check out my video on this location, you can find it here:

MakeshiftMickey

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
You got some good shots there...abandoned for 50 years, wow!
Thank you. Yeah, I was honestly surprised it was still standing after all this time. I would've liked to see some views from the top, but most of the steps and other supports were way too rusted out for that.

BikinGlynn

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
That does look awesome, did u not get up those towers though!

MakeshiftMickey

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
That does look awesome, did u not get up those towers though!
Unfortunately the structures look a lot more complete from afar than up close. Large sections of the metal walkways and stairs were completely rusted out. Combine that with the occasional 60 MPH gusts of wind, and I quickly gave up on the idea of reaching the top.