free hit counter
Germany - another old slate mine (visited 06/2020) | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Germany another old slate mine (visited 06/2020)

Andy

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Website
www.Ruinenland.de
In the Hunsrück, a German low mountain range in Rhineland-Palatinate, there are still countless old tunnels and mines, in which mostly slate as well as copper, tin and lead were mined. Most were abandoned in the 19th and 20th centuries, some earlier. Many of them are filled up, collapsed or closed today, but some are still accessible. Thanks to an old map, I was able to find some of them. Of a total of more than 10 quarries in this area in the middle of the forest, only one was accessible, but this mine was ultimately larger than I expected. It had at least three levels. Inside, a long tunnel leads into the mountain, climbing over a scree slope you reach a large, lower chamber. A shaft there still goes much deeper, but exploring it would only be possible by going down on a rope (I didn't have one and I don't like that either, so I couldn't explore the lower level).

bild01.jpg

bild02.jpg

bild03.jpg

bild04.jpg

bild05.jpg

bild06.jpg

bild07.jpg

bild08.jpg

bild09.jpg

bild10.jpg

WesternKentuckyUrbex

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Kentucky has many abandoned shafts like that in the Western Portion of the state. Most are filled but a few are accessible, but I don't think many are explorable due to how water here is (it rains a lot of in that area).

lordoftheunderworld

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Love it, I suspect it is close to were I was and the area is just amazing. I didn't had any maps so we were strolling and enjoying the area for hours and hours.