free hit counter
Great Britain - BAE Systems Rochester - Feb 2008 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Great Britain BAE Systems Rochester - Feb 2008

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Location - BAE Systems, Rochester, Kent

Date Visted: February 2008

Curent Status: Has now been demolished

Future Plans: Redevelopment.

BAE systems Rochester was primerily involved in the manufacture of Electronics and Integrated solutions. The buildings form part of Rochester Airport, and were used by an RAF flying school and the Shorts Brothers prior to being used by BAE systems.

History

The older part of the complex dates from the 1930's and was probably built when No 23 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School took over use of the site in 1938. The newer part was probably built in when GEC (comprising Marconi and instrument makers Elliot Automation) took over use of the site in 1979. BAE aquired both of these companies in the following years, and continued operations a Rochester until the site was vacated in 2004.

Future

Rochester airport itself is now run on a care and maintenance basis by a group of entusiasts, who are currently negotiating with Medway council over a long term lease for the site. The buildings ajoining Maidstone Road are the ones we visted; they are currently being demolished and the land is set for redevelopment. As you can see there's not a lot left, but it was still interesting to look round none the less.

Image01.jpg

Image04.jpg

Image07.jpg

Image10.jpg

Image11.jpg

Image14.jpg

Image15.jpg

Image19.jpg

If you have an electric panel fetish, then this is the place for you.

Image26.jpg

Image27.jpg

Image28.jpg

Image22.jpg

Image29.jpg

Image30.jpg

Image33.jpg

Roof Space

Image35.jpg

Thanks for looking

Maniac.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
I havn't been back there for a while, so I'm not sure what they've built in it's place. I think it might be light industrial units, as all the rest of the stuff in the area is industrial, so I would have thought it unlikely that they'd build houses there.

vanishing days

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
theyve left it flatened nothing even left on site