free hit counter
Great Britain - Bedgebury girls public school (lillesden) March 2010 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Great Britain Bedgebury girls public school (lillesden) March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obscurity

OS Member
Reaction score
I visited this place in March 2010. It had been one of many on my list but had never wanted to travel to it with not a lot else in the area. I had visited it once before but didn’t get in as the police were in the area and asked us to leave before we even got to the wall. After visiting Essex with my girlfriend I decided to crack this one on my way back. What a place, the grounds are amazing and the building is beautiful. Upon entering the building it was clear that it had become irreparable and the damage was immense, some being caused by previous visitors and some by Mother Nature. The building had a very eerie feel about it and noises could be heard throughout the explore although no-one was there. I have tried to reflect my view of the place in my photos; a very spooky and dim building.

History:

The school occupies what used to be the Lillesden Estate Mansion, built at the estate (south of Hawkhurst) in 1855 by the banker Edward Lloyd, who moved there after marrying. The house and estate remained in the family until just after the First World War, when it was then sold and eventually became the Bedgebury Girls Public School.

The school closed around 1999 and has been abandoned ever since. Due to the theft of its lead roof, water damage is now sadly causing the buildings to collapse. However, it is now owned by a property developed and expected to be converted into private apartments at some point in the future.

1. The Rear of the Building

rearofschool.jpg

2. The Front of the Building

frontofbuilding.jpg

3. Looking up what would have been a very grand staircase

archatsteps.jpg

topofstairs.jpg

5. Looking Down the Stairs

lookingdownstairs.jpg

6. One of the Many Corridors

corridoor.jpg

7. The Heart Of the Building

atrium.jpg

8. One of the Lovely Bay Windows

baywindow.jpg

9. And Another

baywindow2.jpg

Thanks for looking

Last edited by a moderator:

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
I love lillesden school, it's such a photogenic building. shame it's going to waste :(

Status
Not open for further replies.