free hit counter
Cincinnati Machine Tools, Birmingham - October 2015. ( Picture Heavy) | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Cincinnati Machine Tools, Birmingham - October 2015. ( Picture Heavy)

Redhunter

OS Full member
Reaction score
The History.

Cincinnati Machine Tools was a world renowned manufacturer of milling machines. In the 1950's a large factory and modern headquarters was built alongside the canal at Erdington. The buildings are a striking post war modernist statement running along a traditional section of Birmingham waterway, with a single curved span concrete bridge connecting the main entrance to the opposite bank. It has an intriguing subtle art-deco inspired exterior design.

Whilst on the inside Cincinnati is pure 1950’s style and American glamour with lots of marble, terracotta and terrazzo, and as well as a gym and canteen it has its own 200 seatAuditorium. Cincinnati Machine Tools, now MAG, have moved just around the corner to Fort Dunlop.

The Visit.

I've been going past this place pretty much everyday for 2/3 years, and been wanting to get into it since I saw reports coming up. I'd previously attempted to get into the office building on a earlier visit, but only managed to get into the technical centre. After waiting for a non member to come and pick me up, we headed to the site, and managed to get in the office building. The one thing that stood out to me straight away was the architecture in this place, very 50's/60's with the offices is lavishly fitted out with Green Marble and Patent Tiling. Working our way to the top, the Directors penthouse flat on the top floor has a stunning view over Birmingham and a roof terrace, But also had signs of homeless people using it with made beds on the floor. After 2 + hours exploring, we headed out and went and got a well deserved maccies!

IMG_9869_HDR_zps9rwejrob.jpg

IMG_9880_zpsqsush0ys.jpg

DSC_0013_HDR_zpswn6hisyy.jpg

IMG_9884_HDR_zps8hveg9vg.jpg

IMG_9887_HDR_zps1tegi8i9.jpg

DSC_0022_HDR_zpszg0ahl8k.jpg

IMG_9896_HDR_zpseitnzg3d.jpg

IMG_9901_HDR_zpsvlptt78y.jpg

IMG_9904_HDR_zpsysgkg8u5.jpg

DSC_0025_HDR_zpsano9bdcu.jpg

IMG_9914_zpsnp6dyxs6.jpg

IMG_9916_HDR_zpsyldjmz0c.jpg

Thanks for looking.

-Raz-

OS Member
Reaction score
Nice report mate, liking #5 and the last one :D

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Some cool corridor shots to be had here, Liking number 5 too :)

:comp

jones-y-gog

Staff member
Reaction score
Plenty of good stuff there despite it getting a bit of a bashing, love that shot of the partly flooded conference room - a total winner that!!

I know its a good feeling to finally make it into a place you've been past so many times (y)

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Liking that a lot and same as what @jones-y-gogsaid about that flooded conference room, that's an epic image right there (y)

Oh and Keeley....she really was one of the best ever :D

Last edited by a moderator:

urblex

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Yeah that flooded room looks ace! Loving the 6th shot as well and the corridors but they're all good, great report mate (y)

scrappy

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
really like the flooded conference room