Contact Staff

Contact the team

Cornist Hall, Flint - October 2015

WildBoyz

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
History

“The longer it stays in the condition it is in, the reality of the situation is the more damaged the fabric of the site will become… We have seen what happened with sites like Denbigh Hospital – they were buildings that were allowed to fall into a condition of disrepair†(Cllr Aldridge).

Cornist Hall, built sometime in the early 1700s, is a former luxury mansion located in the town of Flint, Wales. It is a Jacobethan style brick and stone structure; although this term was not coined until 1933, and it was the birthplace of Thomas Totty, an admiral who served on the HMS Invincible and alongside Lord Nelson. The town of Flint itself, which derives its name from the Latin term castellum super fluentum (meaning ‘castle on the river’), was a major port and since the 1200s people have inhabited the area for the convenient shape of the land. In later years Flint became well-know for its close proximity to Liverpool, for naval and trade purposes; their main forms of trade principally involved fish and the slave markets. By 1884, the house was purchased by the industrialist, Richard Muspratt, and he commissioned John Douglas, an architect from Chester, to entirely remodel the mansion throughout. Unfortunately, Muspratt died before the house could be altered. The Summers family, who ran an ironworks business; John Summers and Sons in Shotton, were the next to take the house on, and they managed to proceed with making the much needed alterations to the building. By 1953, however, the ownership of the mansion changed hands once again, when it was passed to the Local Authority. After the Local Authority assumed ownership the building was modified internally for catering purposes.

The Hall remained in the ownership of the Local Authority up until 1986, when the Napier family purchased the property. It was later redeveloped into a wedding and banqueting venue. Although it was a popular scene, the Hall was eventually converted into the local golf club’s club-house. Despite the change of hands, Cornist Hall continued to cater for weddings up until its closure in 2012. Since its closure, Flint’s local community have petitioned to save the building, in the hope that it will gain listed status and fall under the ownership of the local populace. In the past few years, since the closure of Cornist Hall, a number of local people have complained about the increase in anti-social behaviour and vandalism, suggesting that the former mansion is a magnet for such activities.

Our Version of Events

After bombing through Wales, in our effort to conserve daylight, we eventually arrived in the town of Flint. It was a quiet scene, and we were conscious that we looked a little out of place, surrounded by local dog walkers and other country folk. So, to blend in a bit, and counter hunger and the long walk we’d created for ourselves from where we’d parked the cars, we [some of us] did a little berry picking on the way. We all survived, so I’m assuming they were edible. Once we reached the old Hall, it was heavily boarded up, so it required a little effort to get inside. As the history states above, the people in the surrounding area have become frustrated by the increasing illicit activity going on in the Hall. Having said that, they still failed to keep us out, and we were soon able to sample the delights Cornist Hall holds behind its wooden boards and ant-climb paint. For the most part, the building is quite stripped, although plenty still remains; including a working piano and an archaic record player. It would appear that bats have also taken up residence upstairs inside the building, which makes a pleasant change from fetid one-legged pigeons.

Explored with Ford Mayhem, Meek-Kune-Do, The Hurricane, Box and Husky.

1: Cornist Hall

DSC_0225a_zpsaha1b9cf.jpg

2: The Former Entrance

DSC_0228a_zpsqgnooquw.jpg

3: Racks and Stacks

DSC_0229a_zpsvd6d5zmq.jpg

4: Old Record Player

DSC_0231a_zpsh989wdr1.jpg

5: Record Player Close Up

DSC_0233a_zpsnvuq3arq.jpg

6: The Piano

DSC_0235a_zpsw1avhyn5.jpg

7: Old Furniture

DSC_0237a_zpsc1xnvbkt.jpg

8: Classic Fireplace

DSC_0238a_zpsrlfxc2cl.jpg

9: The Bar Upstairs

DSC_0239a_zpsizafqiv8.jpg

10: One of the Function Rooms

DSC_0247a_zpsqfl6qitj.jpg

11: A Small Comfortable Side Room

DSC_0250a_zps9baj9qjg.jpg

12: Supplies in the Kitchen

DSC_0251a_zpscj5u5nya.jpg

13: The Kitchen

DSC_0253a_zpscni6ul6d.jpg

14: A Taste of the Upstairs Rooms

DSC_0256a_zpswtr4zttk.jpg

15: Bottom of the Main Staircase

DSC_0258a_zpsbzzm5pw4.jpg

16: The Clutter Downstairs

DSC_0263a_zps60zyu8w1.jpg

17: Downstairs Small Bar

DSC_0265a_zpscfcxedmk.jpg

18: Memorabilia

DSC_0268a_zpskkagrrmd.jpg

19: The Former Dining Room

DSC_0274a_zpsu7mxny38.jpg

20: Specials

DSC_0275a_zpszrttbtae.jpg

21: The Dance Room

DSC_0276a_zpsy3dk6c7f.jpg

22: Another Bar

DSC_0278a_zpsxmdyedfr.jpg

23: Weighing Up the Choices

DSC_0288a_zpsboitl6ys.jpg

24: Main Staircase Window

DSC_0291a_zpsvqbyxog2.jpg

25: A Bad Taste in Curtains and Lampshades

DSC_0292a_zpsnptnuh6l.jpg

26: The Main Staircase

DSC_0293a_zpsrz9ix52r.jpg

mookster

OS Member
Reaction score
Nice, can't remember seeing this before!

WildBoyz

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
A bit chaotic inside, but still some nice and interesting things there.
Yeah, looks like they left in a hurry.

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Haven't seen this either so cheers for postin (y)

The window shot stands out as a favourite :)

:comp

Funlester

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice set mate, I'm going to Wales on the 15th so may have to add this to the list as more or less pass it :)

Lavino

OS Member
Reaction score
Very nice I haven't seen this either. I imagine we will see it a lot more now beep beep here comes the tour bus

Last edited by a moderator:

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Nice report, was obviously quite a grand building in it's hey day. I hope something gets done with it, although knowing the way these things pan out it probably won't.

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
Always nice to see something new pop up on the forum (y)

A bit of natural decay here which is nice, :)

WildBoyz

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice report, was obviously quite a grand building in it's hey day. I hope something gets done with it, although knowing the way these things pan out it probably won't.
I know what you mean. Since it has no listed status I imagine it'll just be left to fall down, or it'll be demolished to make way for houses or something.

WildBoyz

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen this either so cheers for postin (y) The window shot stands out as a favourite :)

:comp
Thanks mate. I quite liked that one myself ;)

-Raz-

OS Member
Reaction score
Nice place that dude good work on finding it :) liking some of those pics ! :mrgreen: