Contact Staff

Contact the team

Drones

Hydro

OS Full member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Looking for a bit of feed back really.

Ive been looking into getting a racing quadcopter for quite some time because lets face it there fking awesome.

Now i have put a lot of thought into what i could achieve with one whilst exploring, and i recently saw a video on youtube of some fellow flying over Sleaford Bass Maltings. This brings me to my point. I dont want to be spending £6-700 for my drone to not have enough power to afix a camera (gopro or similar) and still fly.

Does anyone have a drone or know much about them? I'd love a little in sight.

Thanks in advance (y)

stoozie

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I have a DJI Phantom 3 Professional.

I've been meaning to use it for exploring for a while now, used it on my first explore over the weekend.

I know a fair bit about them, feel free to message me and ask any questions and I'll do my best to help!

bmxer7777

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Hey, sorry I’m late lol. If you haven’t already found the answer to your question, I may be able to help. There are two kinds of drones, photography and racing. I do racing, so I have two very high powered racing drones, each only costing like $300 or so to build. Although I race with them, I do like making videos, so I put a GoPro Session on one of them and it flew the exact same as it did without it. So most racing drones are powerful enough to carry a GoPro, you just might not get the stable video you want. If you go with a photography drone, like a DJI Phantom, such as the one stoozie mentioned, you’ll have a lot more stability and video options. Have fun!!

Dubbed Navigator

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Ive been considering a drone for quite some time, but not really taken the opportunity to reseatch them properly yet.

I think the thing that bothers me at the moment is the potential legislation hitting the UK soon, I dont want to be putting 100 quid into something that I fancy a mess around with, only to have to do a course on in a few months.

bmxer7777

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Ive been considering a drone for quite some time, but not really taken the opportunity to reseatch them properly yet.

I think the thing that bothers me at the moment is the potential legislation hitting the UK soon, I dont want to be putting 100 quid into something that I fancy a mess around with, only to have to do a course on in a few months.
That’s true. I built both of my drones and registered them with the FAA and I had to take a course to get my HAM radio certification so I could fly legally. I took a HAM CRAM, which is a 10 hot class followed by a test; it was the most boring day in my entire life. While I think it’s worth it, it’s certainly not for everyone, and with so many legislative changes in both USA and across the pond, it’s easy to see why it’s a debatable decision. If I were you, I’d get one now and learn how to fly and have a bit of fun before any more regulations pop up, so at least you’ll have some experience.

Dubbed Navigator

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
That’s just it though, are people really going to want to invest the time and money into something that’s purely a mess around?

Deterring people from buying them is obviously one of the reasons for the legislation, and I fully understand why. There’s a lot at stake to be fair and preventing just anyone going out and buying them is also going some way to preventing some serious crimes.