Contact Staff

Contact the team

Durham Road Crane, Sheffield - July 2015

WildBoyz

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
History

‘The facility will provide much needed spaces for visitors to our university. Significant events in our calendar, including graduation and open days, will benefit from this car park. The car park will also support much improved utilisation of the Octagon Centre and new Students’ Union building’.

This crane was located along Durham Road, in the University of Sheffield owned sector of Sheffield. Once completed, the car park will provide an additional 500 parking spaces on the campus. It will also hold a retail unit in the lower ground section and this will be accessible on the Glossop Road side of the building. Although the multi-story car park is being funded by the university, space allocation will be shared between both the Children’s hospital; which will be given 100 spaces, the general public (as a short stay car park) and, of course, the university. Prior to construction all of the windows in the Husband Building, namely those overlooking the project, were double glazed to reduce noise and dirt pollution. It is anticipated that the project will be completed by December 2015.

Our Version of Events

After a few hours down Megatron, myself and Ford Mayhem decided to head out into the city to have a crack at one of the many cranes that are currently located in Sheffield. As follows, we wandered around for a bit, weighing up our options, until we finally chose one that looked to be the highest of them all. Somehow, or so we hope, we managed to evade a number of security cameras on our way into the site, and we were careful to avoid a few PIR’s as we wandered around inside to reach the base of the crane. Unfortunately, however, the bottom hatch was locked. ‘Oh no’ we said, as, instead, we walked to the top of the car park. It was from up there that we managed to climb out over the edge to reach the crane; this meant we were able to climb inside the scaffold of the crane to climb the ladder positioned inside. After that, we climbed the ladder until we reached the flat platform at the top. Although it was fairly windy, we managed to set up the tripods and grab a few shots of the surrounding city. And, while some of the shots are slightly blurred, we hadn’t expected such a nice platform in the first place so they’re probably a lot better than they would have been. We spent a fair while up there; trying out the cabin which we’d discovered was open, climbing over the front of the rig and up to the very top platform, but finally left as the sun could be seen peeking over the horizon in the distance.

Explored with Ford Mayhem.

1:

DSC_0122a_zpsltqjnadx.jpg

2:

DSC_0127a_zps8odhyilb.jpg

3:

DSC_0137a_zps5fv8jh66.jpg

4:

DSC_0138a_zps5mp0ubas.jpg

5:

DSC_0142a_zpspdt7q1yt.jpg

6:

DSC_0143a_zpsbmovnevy.jpg

7:

DSC_0146a_zpsrlngmj43.jpg

8:

DSC_0150a_zpsjgfudogv.jpg

9:

DSC_0151a_zpsdxi8t40c.jpg

10:

DSC_0152a_zpsjfdvzthm.jpg

Hydro

OS Full member
Reaction score
Nice one mate (y) - I'd better mention this to Raz, he will be like a kid in a sweet shop

Thanks for sharing :D

WildBoyz

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice one mate (y) - I'd better mention this to Raz, he will be like a kid in a sweet shopThanks for sharing :D
Haha, cheers mate.

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Nice work and looks a nice vantage point.

Cool shots there mate (y)

:comp

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Good work mate, love that last shot (y)

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Last shots a win for me too. Quality set of images there mate (y)

WildBoyz

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Last shots a win for me too. Quality set of images there mate (y)
Thanks mate (y) It came out better than I expected!