Contact Staff

Contact the team

Haut Fourneau B, Liege, January 2016

CuriousityKilledTheCat

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
some history first -​

In 1809 the Fabrique de Fer d'Ougrée (English: Iron factory of Ogree) was founded, and in 1834 converted into an integrated works. In 1835 the Société des Charbonnages et Hauts-Fourneaux d'Ougrée (English: Coal and blast furnace company of Ougree) was founded​

HFB was one of the primary metal producers in Belgium. by 1914 it operated 8 blast furnaces, and had a steel production capacity of 500,000 tonnes, producing semi and finished products such as bar, plate, beams and rails.​

German occuptation during the First World War brought much damage to the plant at Ougrée, after the war only two blast furnaces were operational, and between 1919 and 1924 they rebuilt. Also between 1905 and 1928 the company operated an industrial rack railway at one of its factories in Ougrée.​

Due to the economic downturn caused by the financial crisis of 2007–2010 blast furnace B temporarily stopped production from spring 2009 to April 2010.​

In 2011 all liquid steel production in the ArcelorMittal steel Liege division was ended, resulting in protests, strikes, and the temporary encapsulation of several ArcellorMittal executives as protest against the closure. The company cited overcapacity, and uncompetitiveness as reasons for the closure; a report by Syndex commissioned by trade unions contradicted the claims of un-competitiveness, claiming ArcelorMittal's reports used biased accounting unions officials called for the liegeois steel industry to be taken into ownership outside ArcellorMittal to protect it.​

​

And the explore - ​

My first urbex trip abroad, and I had an absolute brilliant time :D  Thanks to  @TheVampiricSquid and a non-member for letting me gatecrash their trip last minute (and to the other non-member who filled the last space in the car even more last minute), even if I did do all the driving  :sleepy:  Four of us and all of our bags piled into a Mini was interesting to say the least, I think I need a bigger car but it held up well for its first trip abroad!!​

Off we set on Friday night along the coast to meet the other two, and jump on the Ferry at dover (where I cleverly managed to kill the battery!! Successful trip already!!)  and with almost no sleep, it's safe to say I was dying by the time we reached our first location in belgium. The roads are almost too smooth over there, a pothole or two wouldn't have gone a-miss in terms of keeping me awake!!​

It was certainly an eventful trip all round, and we didn't get round to nearly as many places as originally planned, but on a freezing cold Sunday morning (and a rather nervous drive over from the hotel on icy roads...) we found ourselves here - ​

24398498232_1a414d6f1a_b.jpg

This place is absolutely huge, with some serious heavy machinery, and after probably the most awkward and knackering access I've done yet, we chilled in the control room for a bit before making our way all the way up to the very top where it may have been bloomin' cold, but so worth it for a hell of a view, one of the others even conquering their fear of heights after much umm-ing and ah-ing  (y)  ​

On the way back down, our plan of exit was hurried along slightly accompanied by a change of route on spotting at least three police vans driving through the site... Hoping they'd only seen the other explorers on site, we made it out without even seeing them again  :ph34r:​

Infuriatingly, I managed to smash another lens here (doing bloody well at this urbex shiz I am!!) and my camera battery must not have charged properly overnight, as it died on me halfway up, but anyways, these are the shots I did get - ​

24139062139_8430465a6d_b.jpg

​

23878631624_08485425ca_b.jpg

​

24398521062_a01c40ba55_b.jpg

​

23878620304_e4f83f723a_b.jpg

​

24398513912_42d564912d_b.jpg

​

24506800725_b9e1d9b67e_b.jpg

​

24506796385_86173d6a13_b.jpg

​

23879990973_382ce832f9_b.jpg

​

24398500712_222ccbca60_b.jpg

​

23878598594_d8184809bf_b.jpg

​

Thanks for looking :D  ​

AndyK!

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Laughing at 4 people in a mini on a Euro trip! And I thought we struggled with my TT!! haha

This place looked immense as we passed through it on our way to the power plant. Nice job man.

ACID-REFLUX

OS Member
Reaction score
Very nice  (y)

Being able to look back on trips and lol makes it all the more worthwhile  :)

TheVampiricSquid

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
"Balls to the walls" was an understatement after we'd piled all our crap into your mini! But like you say, it held up - surprisingly ;)

It was an awesome weekend - thanks for driving, and you've got some awesome pictures here! (y)

2 lenses within 2 months, thats some kind of record surely! :D   

CuriousityKilledTheCat

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Cheers all, It was a pretty epic place :D  

Yeahhh I don't exactly have the best vehicle... but at least it's not an old Mini... haha! Just added to the entertainment all the more :L And the fact my doors don't stay open made it even more amusing :p  

Can't believe I managed to kill it again... hopefully that doesn't become three any time soon... o_O I bet as soon as I actually sort out insurance, I won't break anything else!! 

coolboyslim

Old school (m8ty)
OS Full member
Reaction score
Very nice looks a great place to nosey round thx for post and pics. And @TheVampiricSquid Dont forget me and the TWEET TWEET lmfao and thats not a twitter pun. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
I was really hoping it would be an old mini, that would have made it epic. :D  bad luck on the lens front :(  

Nice set of pics, I need to get over to Belgium really, 8 years doing this and I've never been! 

CuriousityKilledTheCat

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
could have easily wasted a whole day in there to be honest!

Fortunately the lens smash was just the filter this time, problem rectified now! *phew*

And gosh, after 8 years, you really do need to get over there, there's a derp on every corner, it's brill! 

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
Very nice, I remember seeing this last year, I think @The_Raw posted a pic of him walking on a very rusty walkway quite high up. (Correct me if I am wrong, It is often the way lol) You got some great pics (y)  

Last edited by a moderator:

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Lol, is it a rover mini or a BMW "mini"? Must've been a squash if it was the old one haha :D

Enjoyed looking at this and nice write-up too mate (y)

CuriousityKilledTheCat

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
That'd be the one :p  I didn't go all the way up to that top rusty bit myself, it was way too bloody cold and my camera had died by that point :(  

Cheers :)  

And yeah, fortunately it's a bmw mini! lol I've always wanted an old one, but the bmw beat it on size and reliability... :( fortunately for everyone else who's ever been in my car! 

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Nice work, some great shots there and fair play for getting Laura all the way to the top! 

Merryprankster

OS Member
Reaction score
really love this place, my lens was bugger when i went aswell, managed to salvage some shots though, thanks for sharing dude  (y)