Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Great Britain Hermitage Mill 14/6/19

JRHurbex

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I have seen many reports of this place in various places but here is my recent visit. It is looking pretty empty and a fire has caused damage to the floor so certain areas I avoided walking on. Photos are taken with my phone as i didn't take my camera.

1. The History
Hermitage Mill is built close to the waters of the River Maun which runs alongside the it. Built as a cotton mill in standstone and three storeys high (with basement), it was at first part of the Unwin family's many business ventures. The Unwin family were a dominant force in the cotton and hosiery industry in nearby Sutton-in-Ashfield. In 1782 Samuel Unwin Jnr. and London banker, James Heygate, leased the hermitage site from the 4th Duke of Portland to build their mill. It was the first mill to be built on the Maun after the 'Arkwright revolution'. The original mill building is still standing, though in a state of disrepair with no currently active use. In the 1870s a large brick extension was built to enable the mill to change from cotton-spinning to the manufacture of lace and hosiery and to accommodate the change from water power to steam power. Other additions included an engine house, by 1878, and boiler room.

The building was sold to Clumber Building Supplies in the 1950s, who then sold some years later to Buildbase, as a builder's merchant. It ceased trading in December 2008, and since then the mill has been left derelict and fenced off. In 2009, Mansfield District Council initially wanted to turn the building into a heritage centre. The council failed to secure funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund and the mill was put on the market before being acquired by Germane Properties Ltd in 2014
Since then it has suffered spates of vandalism attacks which have damaged some of its significant architectural features. Plans are afoot to re-use the site and old mill building and in 2017 an application was put forward in July to retain the structure and 18th century style of the site and convert it into a 50-bed care home and 32 assisted living apartments. Works will include repair and replacement of windows, alterations to brickwork, stone work and render - and minor alterations to the lower ground layout. HEB Chartered Surveyors estimated the cost of refurbishing the mill at just over £4.1m. The mill was previously Grade II Listed back in March, 1994.

Just a few of the best photos. Also my first report so anything missing or can be improved let me know.
20190614_205218.jpg

20190614_201731.jpg

20190614_203541.jpg

20190614_201304.jpg
20190614_201526.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dubbed Navigator

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
This is a quality first report. Great write up, perhaps a few more pics if you have them?

Sounds like you had a great time ?