Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

High Royds Asylum - Menston - Feb 2016

TrevBish.co.uk

OS Full member
Reaction score
Ever since I starting exploring, this has been on my to do list. Living in Hampshire, this was a fair few miles away but eventually a North trip was planned. This was on that trip. Unfortunately it has changed since I first saw reports on this place and has been largely developed and converted. Luckily for me a few good bits are still to be had. Absolutely beautiful building. 

History:

High Royds Lunatic Asylum or the West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum as it was originally called, is a former psychiatric hospital near the village of Menston in West Yorkshire.
The broad arrow plan asylum features a large array of stone built wards and interconnecting corridors most of which have been demolished leaving the majority of the old wards as independent buildings most now repurposed as modern apartments.

The most grand of these buildings, the old administration block which sits at the head of the complex is Grad II listed and is one of the last remaining buildings to be renovated. This building features a large central clock tower which still functions to this day and the main hallways are covered with Italian Mosaic flooring which is intricately decorated with the Yorkshire Rose and black daisies.
The Asylum opened on the 8th October 1888 and was in full use until a staged closer which began in 2003 following changes to the attitudes towards mental health care in the United Kingdom.

IMG_0164_zpshwbf6cip.jpg

IMG_0101_zpsseva2pab.jpg

IMG_0102_zpsdokuedr4.jpg

IMG_0103_zpsnk6qrzgu.jpg

IMG_0104_zpsprtwlo3u.jpg

IMG_0105_zps5ci4nglg.jpg

IMG_0106_zpsqnxkynha.jpg

IMG_0108_zpsuh0bcpqt.jpg

IMG_0109_zpsgt19j5op.jpg

IMG_0110_zpsimgidoqh.jpg

IMG_0112_zpsp24pnpis.jpg

IMG_0117_zpspuxmkbbb.jpg

IMG_0126_zpsnny7cglz.jpg

IMG_0129_zps1egeoljn.jpg

IMG_0134_zpsxt7knkja.jpg

IMG_0137_zpsrrdainuy.jpg

IMG_0139_zps5vckxwjr.jpg

IMG_0146_zpsplfyrzvi.jpg

IMG_0156_zpsdctykfj3.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Vulex

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice one mate, its a real shame about the boarding, its ruined the exterior for me :(  

Lavino

OS Member
Reaction score
Great report trev I really like this clock tower

coolboyslim

Old school (m8ty)
OS Full member
Reaction score
Nice. Have the slabs gone?.  Thx for update and pics etc love this place 

TrevBish.co.uk

OS Full member
Reaction score
Yeah unfortunately the wood does destroy the front. I'm to late really lol. The slabs. Didn't see them anywhere. Not much is left to be honest. 

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
Nice, one of my favourite explores this. Such a shame about the boarding as above but at least you got in. Nice to see this again as a lot of people thought this was closed up. I love the clocktower shots and the hall (y)  

:comp