free hit counter
Holdings Country Pottery, Lancashire - March 2013 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Holdings Country Pottery, Lancashire - March 2013

PROJ3CTM4YH3M

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
First a little History

Holdings Country Pottery was founded circa 1898 on a large clay deposit in Lancashire. It used its own clay, which was dug, blended, washed and processed before being made into passes for the potters wheel. Since the start of the century until its closure little changed in the process and the factory opened its doors to visitors so that they could see the craftsmen creating ‘Waldian Ware’ in the traditional way.

The family tradition was started by James Holding in 1842 a mile or so from the present site which was opened just before the turn of the century by James’s sons and grandsons. The Pottery then proceeded to stay within the family as generations passed and took over management of the factory. I’m uncertain when the factory was abandoned and ultimately closed its doors but by the looks of the condition of the building and some of the artefacts left behind I’d guess its been shut for at least 20+ years.

Our Visit

I’ll be honest I had low expectation for this place. I’d heard about it and seen a few photos but not really paid too much attention to it so I was pleasantly surprised to find so much well preserved stuff. Probably owing to its relatively remote location the place has survived with minimal vandalism and was in some parts like walking back in time. Visited with Sam ‘The Mule’, Jamie and Dystopia after Sonyes Kindly showed us where the place was.

Highlight for me has to be all the photography equipment and photographs themselves, especially the ones of the factory still in use. On with the photographs from the trip:

HoldiningsCountryPottery-1.jpg

HoldiningsCountryPottery-2.jpg

HoldiningsCountryPottery-3.jpg

HoldiningsCountryPottery-4.jpg

HoldiningsCountryPottery-5.jpg

HoldiningsCountryPottery-6.jpg

HoldiningsCountryPottery-7.jpg

HoldiningsCountryPottery-8.jpg

Thanks for looking, a few more photos on my blog: http://www.proj3ctm4yh3m.com/urbex/2013/04/08/urbex-holdings-country-pottery-lancashire-march-2013/

Last edited by a moderator:

Lara

OS Member
Reaction score
Nice shots there! This is on my to do list, nice one and thanks for sharing :)

:comp

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Does look a great place and lots to work around.

You've captured the place really well.

Cool share (y)

Nelly

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Brilliant, loads to see there

Perjury Saint

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice set kidda!! I like No5 cos its smiling at me!! :D

Mrbeardo

OS Member
Reaction score
It's right lovely in here, nice un love. Think me and some of the krew visited after Lancaster moor

shaddam

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
rather nice set of photos there :) cheers

Wherever I may Roam

OS Member
Reaction score
Good to see there's still plenty to see here & despite the complaints of the owners they still haven't done anything at all to secure the place..........so fuck em!!!!!

Silent Night

OS Member
Reaction score
looks like a nice little gem mate.lots of lovely little bits, great shots as always dude cool share :cool: