free hit counter
Hungary - Kelenfold Powerstation, Control Room, Dec 2018 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Hungary Kelenfold Powerstation, Control Room, Dec 2018

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
OS Full member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Intro
Designed back in 1927 by Virgil Borbiro and Kalman Reichl kelenfold power station has become an iconic piece of architecture in today's world. The power station's art-deco design theme can be seen throughout and the control room is where it is most noticeable, built as a "shrine to electricity" by the architects. After closure in 2007 this portion of the station has stood dormant. Under Hungarian law the building cannot be demolished or even altered due to its industrial heritage, being 100 years old.

Back in late 2018 I had the opportunity to visit this site as well as a few others and it was safe to say the travelling was worthwhile. Parked up in the freezing cold and next to a night club still full of visitors we headed in. After a lot of faffing about and being lost inside we eventually found the control room giving ourselves a strict time limit in a bid not to get caught the control room was the only area I could manage to photograph in time. With the heavy bass of the night club still audible inside the plant we gingerly exited and headed off.

Photos
Welp, here's what I could salvage. Do note I took these when I was still learning how to shoot and had no access to things such as bracketing/HDR and a spirit level plus I was also terrible at getting things straight and central.

_DSC0412-HDR.jpg
_DSC0425-Edit.jpg
_DSC0444.jpg
_DSC0448_9-Edit.jpg

46207697542_28b863b686_b.jpg

49714106012_92323238e0_b.jpg

And that'll be all.
Yes there is a lot more to see here but as mentioned we were limited with time so maybe in the future I can return.

KP

Last edited:

AndyK!

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
I really hope to see this one day; doesn't look like our trip to Czechia and Hungary that we had planned for this summer will be going ahead this year though

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
OS Full member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I really hope to see this one day; doesn't look like our trip to Czechia and Hungary that we had planned for this summer will be going ahead this year though
I am still coming to terms with the fact I have been there, it's such an unbelievable structure. Unfortunately I've had two European strips cancelled this year as well man, which means I'm gonna miss out on a lot of industrial and medical goodness.

jtza

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
It's a must see place for me. Hope I get round to it one day and your photos are really nice. Good job