free hit counter
Great Britain - Leri / tweed mill tal y bont Wales April 2017 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Great Britain Leri / tweed mill tal y bont Wales April 2017

Lavino

OS Member
Reaction score
Another stop on our Wales tour was this old mill. Myself @dangle_angle and @GK_WAX and non member Dylan. The mill is in bad condition but I was surprised how bright and good condition the spools had kept. Wasn't a lot to see. But it did have a nice river and waterfall running along side the mill. Here's some history and photos..
History

Leri Mills was one of Ceredigions first woolen mills. It was built from around 1809 consisting of several buildings; two tweed mills, a spinning and carding shed, a wool / washing shed, a dye shed and a craft shop.

Initially the tweed was sold locally to farmers and miners but for at least the last thirty years of operation the mill was open to the public, with demonstrations of all of the processes on view, and most importantly a shop that sold tweed, garthen (a tapestry used as a bed covering), rugs and postcards.

The rise of foreign travel in the late seventies led to a fairly rapid decline in business

Sadly the mill finally stopped trading in April 1981 and was initially put on the market for £150,000.
A buyer wasn't found and the mill remains in the family that ran it from at least 1950.

IMG_3293_zpse7bnqnmj.jpg

IMG_3294_zpsthaye9lv.jpg

IMG_3295_zpsmquaexaw.jpg

IMG_3296_zps28wpmuqy.jpg

IMG_3297_zpsd1wjobl0.jpg

IMG_3298_zpsvs7xyyoh.jpg

IMG_3299_zpsoivf1u77.jpg

IMG_3300_zpshimksyc3.jpg

IMG_3302_zps9h3ingsf.jpg

IMG_3301_zps9emwli38.jpg

IMG_3312_zpscrpuion3.jpg

IMG_3311_zpsvq6lichq.jpg

IMG_3306_zpsovukenzl.jpg

IMG_3307_zpssc2ruj7l.jpg

IMG_3304_zpsppnyq9hr.jpg

IMG_3305_zpshkyvqwmz.jpg

IMG_3303_zpsisxcrxp1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
That's cool mate, might try and tick this off this summer at some point. Good to see it remains untouched  :)  

Lenston

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
That's cool mate, might try and tick this off this summer at some point. Good to see it remains untouched  :)  
We gave this one a miss last time if you remember, we did the one the other side of the road with Andy

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Yeah I think I prefer the look of this one tbh :)

We gave this one a miss last time if you remember, we did the one the other side of the road with Andy

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Those spools are holding their colour nicely :)  

Nice waterfall exposures too lav (y)  

:comp  

coolboyslim

Old school (m8ty)
OS Full member
Reaction score
That's a lovely water wheel and love the pics of the water and spools . Good set m8ty

urbexpm

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice pics, I was there on Sunday but foolishly approached from the other side of the river, did you cross one of the trees to get to it or did you approach from the same side? I went halfway across then turned back as I had my daughter with me, the 'responsible' father in me kicked in and I decided i'm not encouraging her to do this lol.

I took her to the other mill instead and will go back again to Leri another time.