free hit counter
NGTE Pyestock January & March 2013 2 Visits (Pic heavy) | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

NGTE Pyestock January & March 2013 2 Visits (Pic heavy)

PROJ3CTM4YH3M

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Bit of a throw back report but I dont think I have posted these 2 sets up here yet and I have rcently been back through and reprocessed these old shots from both trips in hopes that they look a little less over baked.

Briefly the National Gas Turbine Establishment at Pyestock Fleet was built in 1949 beginning with some small test cubicals inside buildings like the plant house and has since been added to over the years resulting in the huge site that stands there today.

For over 50 years Pyestock was at the forefront of gas turbine development. It was probably the largest site of its kind in the world. V bomber, Harrier and Tornado engines were tested on site. The power of the air house allowed Concorde’s engines to be tested in the purpose built Cell 4 at 2,000 mph. Every gas turbine installed in Royal Navy ships was checked here; captured Soviet engines were discreetly examined.

NGTE Pyestock closed down in 2000 and decommissioned to make way for a business park.

Pyestock was used for several scenes in the 2005 film Sahara by Breck Eisner, based on the best-selling book of the same name by Clive Cussler. Internal sections of Cell 3 and Cell 4 were suitably reworked for the film’s supposedly solar powered waste disposal facility.

First visit

A massive thanks to Mr Bones for being the tour guide for us on this trip! He was mega tried having been up all night exploring but he proper pulled through for us what a Legend! Visited with Mr Bones and Sam the Mule. Really early start for us given the long 4 hour drive down there in snowy conditions. I’d planned trips here before which always fell through but not this time…

We started with the Airhouse and covered Cells 3 and 4 (the main ones I wanted to see). Made all the better by the fact that the snow was about 3 inch deep when we arrived and about 8 inch deep when we left this trip tops my list to date! These no doing justice to the sheer scale of this place until you’ve seen it for yourself! The cells were great I could have spent all day photographing each of them and we only ended up covering a fraction of the site! Revisit on the cards for sure!

Pyestock-1.jpg

Pyestock-2.jpg

Pyestock-3.jpg

Pyestock-4.jpg

Pyestock-5.jpg

Pyestock-6.jpg

Pyestock-7.jpg

Pyestock-8.jpg

Pyestock-9.jpg

Pyestock-10.jpg

Pyestock-11.jpg

Pyestock-12.jpg

Pyestock-13.jpg

Pyestock-14.jpg

Pyestock-15.jpg

Pyestock-16.jpg

Pyestock-17.jpg

Pyestock-18.jpg

Pyestock-19.jpg

Pyestock-20.jpg

Pyestock-21.jpg

Pyestock-22.jpg

Pyestock-23.jpg

Pyestock-24.jpg

Pyestock-25.jpg

Pyestock-26.jpg

Pyestock-27.jpg

Pyestock-28.jpg

Pyestock-29.jpg

Pyestock-30.jpg

On to part 2...

PROJ3CTM4YH3M

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Second visit

Returned this time with Sam the Mule, and Mr Dystopia. We also bumped into our good friends Darbian, Laura and the two Chris’s which all in all made for a good day out.

We started by finding a way in the main perimeter fence taking a different route from the first time round we basically headed down one of the main patrol roads hoping that at 4am they wouldn’t be very active… We got through a few sections of Heras fence and then just as we were in the middle of a crossroads car headlights turn a corner! We all jumped over a wall into a ditch which carries some of the pipe work Si falling a little further than the rest of us injuring his leg! After almost getting rumbled by secca when we got there the whole day was a game of cat and mouse complete with all the new haras fencing which made for nice obstacle in our efforts to cover more ground. We watched the sunrise from the Plant House roof before covering that building, Cells 1 & 2 then we headed back over to the classic spots, the air house, and Cells 3 & 4 to bag a few more angles of these spots before they get demolished along with the rest of this place.

As well as increased secca presence there are now clear signs of demolition in progress with new large piles of scrap metal all over the place neatly piled for removal, as mentioned earlier there’s a lot of new fences and plant machinery on site and most disappointing of all a new large hole in the air house at the front near the gantry :( . It won’t be long before this site bites the dust for good I hear between 3-6 months is the current estimate for completely clearance which is a much shorter time frame than the initially estimated 2 years I’d first heard. I’m hoping this won’t be my last visit to Pye but I don’t think she has much longer left.

Highlights of the day have to be getting to the rooftops for the plant house before sunrise, the epic near misses with secca throughout the day and climbing the rusty ladder in cell 4 to the rusty platform to bag a side shot of cell 4 from above.

Pyestock-31.jpg

Pyestock-32.jpg

Pyestock-33.jpg

Pyestock-34.jpg

Pyestock-35.jpg

Pyestock-36.jpg

Pyestock-37.jpg

Pyestock-38.jpg

Pyestock-39.jpg

Pyestock-40.jpg

Pyestock-41.jpg

Pyestock-42.jpg

Pyestock-43.jpg

Pyestock-44.jpg

Pyestock-45.jpg

Pyestock-46.jpg

Pyestock-47.jpg

Pyestock-48.jpg

Pyestock-49.jpg

Pyestock-50.jpg

Pyestock-51.jpg

Pyestock-52.jpg

Pyestock-53.jpg

Pyestock-54.jpg

Pyestock-55.jpg

Pyestock-56.jpg

And that the majority of the bunch, full collections can be found here: http://www.proj3ctm4yh3m.com/urbex/2013/02/09/urbex-national-gas-turbine-establishment-aka-ngte-pyestock-fleet-january-2013/ & http://www.proj3ctm4yh3m.com/urbex/2013/03/06/urbex-national-gas-turbine-establishment-aka-ngte-pyestock-fleet-arch-2013/

Bonesout

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Very well captured indeed... Such memories! I bet there are dozens who never managed to make pye, I feel for them.

Lenston

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Some great pics there mate, i reckon you must hold the record for the amount of pics in one report now :)

Lavino

OS Member
Reaction score
Great pics there job well done :D

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
From someone who hasnt been doing this as long as a lot of you have this probably has to be the all time epic place of win. I would have loved to have got a visit in here. Looking through your pics, you have captured what it was well and I'm really quite envious.

Top report (y)

:comp

AndyK!

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
If I could bring back one derp from demolition, this would be the one. Miss the place, would love to go back. Nice selection of images here mate - Airhouse at night looks ace!

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Love seeing pics from here and these are a great couple of sets, real shame I never got to see the place :(

mookster

OS Member
Reaction score
A location that will never, ever be bettered in my eyes. Simply the best derelict location the UK ever had and ever will have.

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Looks like a space station, they should've kept it for filming sci-fi! Lenston I think Andy holds the record for most photos in a report :D

Last edited by a moderator:

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Well you can never complain seeing some Pye as brings back memories to so many and always raises a smile.

Quality share mate (y)

SuZyQue

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
What a icon that place is glad I did get to see it, superb report and pics.

chambre

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I must admit that I cannot get enough of this place...

A pity that I missed visiting it at the time! :cry: