Contact Staff

Contact the team

Rank Hovis (Clarence Mill), Hull - April 15

Hydro

OS Full member
Reaction score
Morning all,

Explored with Raz

So this was a while ago, but as im nearing the end of my back log of reports i thought id post it up for you (y)

Bit of background

Founded by Joseph Rank in 1875, with the Hull site (Clarence Mill) opening in 1885. It was the first mechanically driven flour mill using steel rollers instead of grinding stones and this produced 6 sacks of flour per hour instead of 1 and a half which was the accepted good rate of production. Such revolutionary technology paved the way for modern flour mills today. During the second world war Hull was prone to heavy bombing runs by the Luftwaffe and the mill was "redesigned" by hitlers flying army and so what you see today (If it is infact still there as the demolition was in full swing last i checked) is a rebuild around the original silos. The factory closed in 2005 and yet still in April this year, 10 years after closure the flour on the floor could give the impression that it was closed only yetserday.

19726672859_b302c28445_c.jpg

The Explore

First stop of the day on our trip to Costa Del Hull (T'Yorkshire one, not the one darn sarth) and first of all i was amazed at how easy access was. Raz was telling me about rats the size of dogs and i was bitterly dissapointed i didnt get to see any of these beasts but it was easy to see why, everywhere you looked the floor was covered in bright blue corn... corn isnt normally blue as far as im aware but im northern so what do i know? So i can only assume this was some crazy poison that made even the corpses disolve as we found none. Anyway, good mooch about over some incredibly dodgey floors with some sickening drops below.

19887125076_d2f1bde421_c.jpg

The roof is a good old place to chill with views out over the city itself and also out over the Humber Estuary and the Deep.

19918417461_d54d14975e_c.jpg

19887123076_8eb259e877_c.jpg

19726674829_3b3665e891_c.jpg

19290726724_1feb7710e8_c.jpg

Thanks for looking, dont forget to check out my facebook page where i post most my pictures; www.facebook.com/seldomseenworldue

jones-y-gog

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks and sounds like a cool place to visit! Especially the roof with a view lol

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Liking that, it's like Millennium Mills' Mine-Me :D

Hydro

OS Full member
Reaction score
Liking that, it's like Millennium Mills' Mine-Me :D
No mate by the looks of it Millennium Mills had some really cool spiral shoots... Nothing like that here :sad:

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
That's pretty cool, liking that grainy processing too :)

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
Nice report mate, isn't this totally gone now?

Like the sound of the flour on the floor

:comp

Hydro

OS Full member
Reaction score
You've lost me there
When i first did them they looked clear, then i lost all the photos so had to get them off facebook... and facebook is like the devil, reduces file sizes and quality by 80%!!

:sad:

Hydro

OS Full member
Reaction score
Nice report mate, isn't this totally gone now? Like the sound of the flour on the floor

:comp
Thanks (y)

I believe it is all gone yes, probably to build houses on like everywhere else...

Was a good one :ugeek: