free hit counter
Rooftopping St Augustine's Abbey Church - Ramsgate - DEC '12 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Rooftopping St Augustine's Abbey Church - Ramsgate - DEC '12

Ramsgatonion

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
There has been scaffolding up here for quite some time, and it was obvious some brilliant views could be had from the top! So I set out one cold December night, found my way to bottom of the ladder, and began climbing. There was a PIR about 20 feet up, which turned out not to be connected to anything - so I carried on until I reached the turreted roof. It was a great spot to sit (when out of view) and enjoy the unique views!

The church is opposite a monastery - here's a snippet of history quoted from pugin.com:

"This is a Grade 1 listed building of as much historic value as The Grange next door. Despite having a private chapel in his house, Pugin built St. Augustine's for himself. It was begun in 1844, Pugin made only one plan for the building and this was where the foundations should be. From then on it grew out of a passion for the endeavour.

The construction ceased from time to time since funds frequently ran out and Pugin would only use the best materials. He had stone bought from Whitby, as well as using local flint.

The church was not finished at Pugin's death and the outside wall next to the road was only at waist height and approximately ten foot long. However this was completed by his eldest son Edward who was also an architect."

Enjoy the photographs!

1_zps60af6638.jpg

2_zps7fc44888.jpg

3_zps2df88a8d.jpg

4_zpseb2db8eb.jpg

5_zpsb312a268.jpg

6_zpse6e4d527.jpg

7_zps8b8f9bbd.jpg

8_zpsed893ed1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by a moderator:

SuZyQue

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
How did I miss this, brilliant, my old stomping ground. :)

Shush

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I like the orange netting, cracking pics chuck :D