free hit counter
Great Britain - Shakespeare pub southport March 2016 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Great Britain Shakespeare pub southport March 2016

Lavino

OS Member
Reaction score
Had a few hour to kill before work and had seen this pub a couple of time while around Southport and had seen it pop up on the forums so thought it was time a paid a visit. So off I went on a solo visit. There's nothing like a solo to get the going. Was on a very busy road so after a quick scout around a figure out the entry point I was in. Here's a few picture a bit history I got from the web...

Real ale enthusiasts fear a well known Southport pub is about to be demolished.

Fencing has appeared around The Shakespeare pub, suggesting the empty building is to be knocked down soon. A spokesman for the Davidson property Group, which owns the building on Scarisbrick New Road , declined to comment.

Mike Perkins, from Camra, told the Visiter that he feared Southport was about to lose another historic building. He said: "Sadly these old pubs can be demolished without planning permission. We have lost the London Hotel, and now it looks like the Shakespeare is on its way.

"It is a classic Victorian pub, and the building is full of history.

"On a more positive note, we welcome the upsurge in the new micro pubs and breweries. Big business has been bad for pubs, and now beer drinking is returning to its roots. We now have the Inn Beer shop, Tap and Bottle, the Barrel House, and the Pigeon in Crosby. We have also heard that the Up Steps in Birkdale is set to reopen, so its not all doom and gloom for beer drinkers in Southport."

In 2011 The Shakespeare was re-launched as an arts' venue. The pub's old function room was transformed into a black box theatre studio and run by local artist Suzy Walker. The main bar featured a baby grand piano, and open log fire.

The pub closed in 2013.

DSC_0042_zpscept05dr.jpg

DSC_0041_zpszxukbnfc.jpg

DSC_0039_zpsoom85nmd.jpg

DSC_0037_zpslfzvidz4.jpg

DSC_0038_zpsoyvavgvf.jpg

DSC_0034_zpsjtldyqz5.jpg

DSC_0032_zpsmr9umnqr.jpg

DSC_0033_zpsrk5gecbr.jpg

DSC_0028_zpsa6rmn0ew.jpg

DSC_0029_zps5hnhhbkw.jpg

DSC_0027_zpsrmjp5dou.jpg

DSC_0018_zpsxyyyuomc.jpg

DSC_0019_zpswgvhuowz.jpg

DSC_0021_zpsv0yb23qk.jpg

DSC_0020_zpsezdhooed.jpg

DSC_0013_zps8vciojkt.jpg

DSC_0014_zpshnkfuf0k.jpg

DSC_0017_zpsfrnfiue9.jpg

DSC_0015_zpsmvdm0rbt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Lavino

OS Member
Reaction score
Thanks rob. It was a big place I didn't hang around really just got some pics and shot off lol

Vulex

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I used to drink here all the time, Friday and saturdays live music and free ale because i knew the bar maid.

scrappy

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I was there the other week and got a few shots, I left when I went near the access point into the building and saw lots of new wet foot prints that didn't belong to me hahahaha