Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

St Johns Asylum, Lincoln, Oct15

The Wombat

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I didn’t think I would get the chance to see this place again, and this was one of my favourite explores… I was very keen to go back. And man was it worth it – I saw 4 times more than my last visit three years ago. It was a real privilege to see the cells, the hall, the grand staircase; and some more those iconic honeycomb ceilings. The building is extremely dicey in places – a lot worse than I remembered. Some floors are wonky, some floors are rotten… and some floors are missing altogether. That said, the natural decay in here is awesome.

The site is being converted for housing. A lot of the foliage has been cleared, building work has begun, and the water tower controversially demolished.

Built under the name Lincolnshire County Lunatic Asylum in 1852, set in 120 acres of grounds. In 1940, female patients were transferred around the UK to make way for an emergency department for the war effort. The newly established NHS took control in 1948 and by the 1960’s it was known as St John’s Hospital. The Hospital was closed in 1989, since then it has been sold and gradually been demolished to make way for housing leaving just the main building.

IMG_2113.jpg
IMG_2140.jpg

the cells

IMG_2174.jpg

IMG_2200.jpg

IMG_2216.jpg

IMG_2225.jpg

the main hall

IMG_2243.jpg

the grand staircase

IMG_2249.jpg

IMG_2115.jpg

IMG_2120.jpg

IMG_2127.jpg

IMG_2199.jpg

IMG_2217.jpg

IMG_2229.jpg

IMG_2221.jpg

Sorry its a bit pic heavy; but this was an awesome explore. One of my favourites

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
Glad you got to go back mate, lovely set of pics (y)

I love those coloured doors

:comp

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Looking good that mate, should've popped in for a brew! :) :)

jones-y-gog

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow that looks a bit different to how I remember it, nice one for getting back in and seeing more :p