free hit counter
Great Britain - Whittingham Debut and Goodbye [April 2014] | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Great Britain Whittingham Debut and Goodbye [April 2014]

LewisS

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Hello there again everybody.

I think it's safe to say a redundant Postman posts more than I do, but getting out can be difficult when you work daft hours.

Once this opportunity came up though, I just couldn't turn it down. I've been fascinated with Whittingham for at least 15 years but never managed to get in. Sadly I finally got in while she was in the midst of being torn down. I missed out on the amazing corridors although I did get into the famous hall and even managed to get up the water tower that had eluded so many previous explorers, which was being torn down the week after we were told.

I had heard many stories of how dangerous the old girl had become over the years and finally she had to succumb to the wrecking ball. I wish I'd seen her in her pomp and I envy my friend Rob who quite often walked down the corridors while the floor was still shiny and untouched.

You all know the history of Whittingham so I shall get on with the piccies.

I always found the images of the Crimbo decorations still being in place in the old hall quite creepy.

ChristmasPastWM.jpg

Stumbling across this little relic in the middle of a demolished corridor was surreal to say the least!

StoriesOfLongAgoWM.jpg

Glass and peely paint!!!

EchoesOfDistantTimesWM.jpg

After these little stopping points we headed straight over to the water tower while we still had the light. It was a gem once you got to the top floor. Not being a fit person at all, I was knackered once I got up there...

WhittinghamWaterTowerExternalWM.jpg

WhittinghamWaterTowerWM.jpg

We did go up the up the spiral staircase but with there being 3 of us and the light not being so good, it was a bit cramped for 3 tripods. Also I'm always guilty of gawping around on an explore instead of taking pics. An explore to me is also an excuse to piss about with torches and LEDs in abandoned buildings.

This one was lit up by Rob to which myself and Tom gleefully took advantage.

WhittinghamWaterTowerSpiralStaircaseWM.jpg

My turn to light up the staircase with green LEDs.

WhittinghamWaterTowerSpiralStaircaseGreenWM.jpg

With the daylight finally on it's way out we headed back to the hall to mess around with torches and LEDs.

I stood guard with the cameras all on long exposures while Rob and Tom gave the hall a lick of light paint.

OneFinalPerformanceWM.jpg

Time to head in and play around a bit and say goodbye to the old girl.

LEDPerformanceWM.jpg

LEDPerformanceEncoreWM.jpg

It was a pleasure to finally get inside the walls but also quite upsetting and maddening to know this has been on my doorstep for a long time and I've only seen Whitt's partial beauty when it's become near enough too late.

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited by a moderator:

(76)

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice one. Not seen any photos from inside the tower before, I remember that Ray Gosling documentary on Whit started with him introducing the program from the top of it.

LewisS

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I've seen that documentary. It's incredibly sad when he interviews that guy who plays cricket.

Nelly

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Brilliant, I've not seen any from the tower interior either!!

LewisS

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Cheers Nelly :) .

I think Scrappy has loads from in there.

shaddam

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
oh very cool, also never seen any photos from the tower !

:comp

klempner69

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Thats the bollocks mate..thanks for sharing.

scrappy

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
great set mate, glad you got to see it. and yes i have a few from inside the water tower but i posted them bad boys 8 years ago after my first ever explore! haha its well worth a trip here anybody that still wants to see it before its gone.

heres the base of the water tower

13957249601_308e126908_z.jpg

Stussy

OS Member
Reaction score
Superb, great set of pics, was there just a week ago and the hall windows had been smashed in, gutting to see! Great to see inside the tower too (y)

LewisS

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Cheers for the comments everyone. :)

I knew you'd help me out a bit with a cracking image of the water tower Scrappy :) . It's a sight to behold is that part.

That's sad news is that Stussy. They were beautiful those windows.